Budget gaming rig for POE

Hey,

I am not great with understanding how strong a graphics card is, or how to compare them. I did some google searching but didn't find anything I understood all that well. I am considering buying a cheap computer with the following specs.

Processor: Inter XEON W3530 2.80GHz Quad Core
installed Memory: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000

I suspect that the ram and cpu are fine, however I have no idea about the Graphics Card. Anyone with a bit more knowledge on this think that POE would run decent on it?

Thanks,

-SteelyStile
Last bumped on Nov 17, 2017, 9:35:17 AM
That card is Kepler generation. Other NVIDIA cards, focused on gaming, in that generation are the 600, most of the 700, and some of the 800 series NVIDIA GPUs.

So, your absolute best case, which this isn't, would be comparable to a bottom end card two generations back.

That is, this is not a great choice compared to a more modern NVIDIA card in the $50 to $100 range.
Gotcha, I suspected it was an older one. Thanks for the help!
The short answer is: This PC is garbage. First generation Core i7 Xeon with rather low clocks + huge power consumption and a lowest end card which is far weaker than a newer 60$ low end card (geforce 1030). Both are certainly enough for POE but CPU + GPU together are worth 40$ at best. Your budget and the price of the pc? List of all your current PC parts? - People sometimes buy 'new' PCs which aren't better than their current setups... The program speccy can show your hardware and some basic specs.

Edit: With enough for PoE I mean you will most likely have to play at 1280x1024 with low fps at low(est) settings thanks to the entry level office graphics card.

Edit2: Dogedammit why did it save the draft.
A protip: Visit a dedicated big computer site or forum. They will give you proper help.

Edit3: Offtopic but whatever:
@sharky3010: Nah, 'workstation' CPUs have all the instructions needed for gaming, 'workstation' GPUs aka the cards are worse for gaming: They have lower clocks than their desktop counterparts, no driver optimizations for specific games which probably has the most impact and they are set for quality on the driver side which makes them slightly slower for gaming at best and a lot slower at worst.
Ohhh, things changed, apparently even 'workstation' GPUs deliver a similar gaming performance now compared to their desktop counterparts if I take this one test as a reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/workstation-graphics-card-gaming,3425-14.html
Guess only the slightly lower clocks of the 'pro' cards and maybe driver optimizations for quality make tiny difference but otherwise solid game performance (for what 5 to 10 times the price of a desktop card? :D).
Last edited by BlueMonday on Nov 17, 2017, 9:21:54 AM
A gaming rig should consist of gaming pc components. That doesn't. That's targeted to workstations.
Most of workstations lack certain instruction sets [ cpu at least ] that make games run properly.

As @BlueMonday said. What's your budget limit? Have you bought any parts already?
Last edited by sharky3010 on Nov 17, 2017, 8:03:11 AM
If you have a budget, we can surely set a PC up for you. Gaming PC´s are around 450 these days (self build).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info