I'm sorry but...why is there reflect again?

Currently playing 10 days SC Turmoil, character is EstWielder, a Juggernaut, wearing Abysuss.

I'm well aware of methods to mitigate reflect damage. Had around 5k5 hp (should be much more), took Soul of Yugul, Basalt flask, endurance charges (6) and 25k armour buffed. And guess what, instant death from a single reflect mob in Esh domain, monster level 70.

What else do I do, really. Put in Fortify and do no damage? Sacrifice a ring slot for Sybil?
Does a single item, like Abysuss, which has been nerfed pretty heavily, require every single reflect mitigation out there in order to make it work? How about we just remove Abyssus completely?

I think that reflect is intended to make the players invest more on defense, play with a slower pace and prevent glass cannon builds that will obliterate everything too fast. If I invest more on defense at this point I don't think I can tackle end game.

Or is it Slayer's Headsman and the Brassdome the only choices left for such a build? Or maybe, when it comes to Juggernaut, lets just play Righteous Fire/ Resolute Technique builds and be the only ones who play the game in its actual intended slow pace.
Last bumped on Nov 17, 2017, 4:23:26 AM
"
wearing Abysuss.
I think I found your problem.

Do I get a cookie?
"
BatMan421 wrote:
"
wearing Abysuss.
I think I found your problem.

Do I get a cookie?

If after all these that i try, Abyssus is stil the problem then how is it viable?
I think the only viable solution was to find another helm and sacrifice the dps. Really no good answers here.
Abyssus gives you insane damage boost, so yes, you should consider sybil/slayer/brass dome/coil/fortify/AA, whatever. 25k armor buffed is not good enough to even mention for a juggernaut.
"
LaiTash wrote:
Abyssus gives you insane damage boost, so yes, you should consider sybil/slayer/brass dome/coil/fortify/AA, whatever. 25k armor buffed is not good enough to even mention for a juggernaut.

I know that the defense of this character isn't near complete yet, but even a very low level mob reflect (70) can pierce through those defense (and my damage is on a 5 link, it's shit), is the drawback to harsh?
*Sigh*

Okay.

What skill are you using? Are you dealing huge single whacks of damage, a'la Sunder or Girthquake? That will get you dead to reflect much faster than anything else, because when you slam a 100k hit Girthquake into a pack of thirty zombies, you take 540,000 reflected damage before any modification (assuming an 18% reflect map). Then you wear Abyssus, which is a 50% increase, so we're up to~800k reflected damage. And you wonder why Soul of Yugul and some basic phys mitigation doesn't bounce that?

if you're instagibbing yourself on singleton reflect rares, then again - how much damage are you dealing in a single hit? Do you need Abyssus, which has gotten people killed against reflect since the beginning of time? Are you able to take other reflect-mitigating options? You specifically state

"
bananapanama1 wrote:

I think that reflect is intended to make the players invest more on defense, play with a slower pace and prevent glass cannon builds that will obliterate everything too fast.

...did it occur to you that you're right? That reflect is in fact specifically there as a mechanic to arrest glass-DPS two-second Shaper bullshit builds and that making it easy to trivialize is not in GGG's best interests, or the interests of PoE as a whole? You're not the first guy to semi-subtly (or just outright demand, for that matter) that reflect is Bad and should be removed from the game because people want to push their deepz and their clearspeed higher but reflect is stopping them.

Reflect is a mechanic that exists to put the brakes on a certain classification of build. The same thing can be said for many other mods on both maps and critters, designed to make that map/critter particularly dangerous for certain build types. If nothing in the game could ever manage to kill you, would the game really be worth playing?
"
bananapanama1 wrote:
"
LaiTash wrote:

I know that the defense of this character isn't near complete yet, but even a very low level mob reflect (70) can pierce through those defense (and my damage is on a 5 link, it's shit), is the drawback to harsh?

Your damage should be at least 20k per hit for reflect to 1-shot you, assuming you have not phys mitigation at all. With your defences, i assume it's somewhere around 28k, if my calculations are correct. I don't think that qualifies as shit.

If it wasn't really a 1-shot, why no CWDT immortal call?
"
1453R wrote:
Reflect is a mechanic that exists to put the brakes on a certain classification of build. The same thing can be said for many other mods on both maps and critters, designed to make that map/critter particularly dangerous for certain build types. If nothing in the game could ever manage to kill you, would the game really be worth playing?

Unfortunately it also forces more people to go for totems/spectres/DP that can still deal insane damage and not care about reflect.
I actually mostly prefer somewhat tankier builds, but still, even though I get that the reasoning behind reflect is to slow down uberspeedclear glass cannons (which indeed mostly push the game in a bad direction), it feels to me like a really caveman "solution" to the problem, at least the way it is implemented.

Reflect isn't in any way clearly telegraphed or visible, if you happen to have 1 reflect monster in a large group, there's almost no way to clearly see it in advance, or even realise quickly what's killing you when you start attacking. First time I had issues with reflect was with my Ranger running Blast Rain, and yes, I remember that "WTF IS GOING ON" feeling when it felt I should be wiping out a bunch of monsters and somehow almost died.

I think there really needs to be a better solution to this. It's one of the things in the game that feel like they're trying to kill you "just because fk u". It's not normal if you have to balance half your build around ONE potential map or monster modifier either, sorry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info