EA managing the "most downvoted comment" on reddit.

"
Sefrot wrote:
Honestly when I saw Sarno's post i kinda laughted it off as too exaggerated since i never understood the hype for mystery boxes and the game being truly free to play. But now seeing this, it does actually hold some truth. But i guess there is no way a company wouldnt want to be lucrative.

It's pretty easy to laugh off and outright ignore for people who have strong self-control or have never experienced addiction, either first-hand or second-hand through friends and family.

After all, for some one who's never dumped a hundred dollars on boxes in a single sitting, it's ludicrous to think you would spend one hundred dollars on "coins" online to spend on random chance boxes that could end up being trash.

But the truth is it's incredibly easy to forget how much real world currency points are worth. It enables gambling in people who may not have been prone to it before.

I'm not ripping on GGG for boxes (how they are currently implemented, anyway: the old box sets and "exclusive" MTX gated inside them made me sick to my stomach), but the idea and business model is sketchy at best.

I'm a strong admirer of what GGG has done. I've supported them in the past, and I will (probably) continue to support them in the future. But just because I admire and support them, doesn't mean I agree with all of their practices. And that's okay.
Bring back race seasons.
Last edited by AbdulAlhazred on Nov 20, 2017, 1:40:49 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about what Sarno said.

I just thought you might want to know that.

And too bad if you didn't, because now you do anyway.

I figured you were. Especially given your response to his post in GD.

"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Any game with 'loot boxes' that's got data stored client side can be hacked with Cheat Engine to get the stuff for free. I don't really see what the problem is. A smart player knows they can get as many loot boxes as they want for free.

Not sure where GGG's loot boxes are stored but I doubt a player buying loot boxes to look cool is going to be doing so on an alternate account. And since what you describe would be against TOS, they'd risk losing everything if they got caught. Account, character names, items, MTX.

And maybe I'm in the wrong here to think or suggest it, but I would 1337 h4xx0r EA to get boxes just to spite them. Since they've temporarily removed all loot box and gem-buying content temporarily, but will be bringing this bullshit back at a later date.
Bring back race seasons.
While they have turned off MTX for now it'll come back (shortly), possibly once the refund period is over...will they even change anything? (doubt it)

Also, that post and resulting fallout has managed to get them investigated in a few countries, dropped their shares and got them this little beauty

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Nov 20, 2017, 8:50:28 AM
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:

Not sure where GGG's loot boxes are stored but I doubt a player buying loot boxes to look cool is going to be doing so on an alternate account. And since what you describe would be against TOS, they'd risk losing everything if they got caught. Account, character names, items, MTX.

And maybe I'm in the wrong here to think or suggest it, but I would 1337 h4xx0r EA to get boxes just to spite them. Since they've temporarily removed all loot box and gem-buying content temporarily, but will be bringing this bullshit back at a later date.

I'm talking about games with loot boxes like that new Middle Earth game. Attaching CE to poe's exe would be stupid, and would almost surely trigger a ban. So definitely don't do it.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Nov 21, 2017, 9:01:57 PM
>0.8 User Score on Metacritic
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA, well deserved, lowest score I've seen there.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
My long-running stance that zero pay-to-win free-to-play is best, based entirely on GGG's approach, is changing.

In short, for any game that isn't PoE, I do believe that a measure of pay-for-convenience/shortcutting is an acceptable evil if it means far more affordable aesthetics

Best for who? Players, developers, the company's bottom line?
I'm only against P2W in an esports context, and I'm only against RMT in a botting context.

I don't think enough people care about PoE from an epsorts/racing perspective anymore.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info