Has anyone tried Wolcen ?

I am keeping an eye on this game and it looks pretty good already from youtube videoes like reviews etc. Imo this is excellent for us arpg fans and poe needs some competition and only Grim dawn isn't enough ( maybe then poe-balance team will bother ). The dev team in wolcen is about the same as poe had in the beta ( 20 ), imho this game looks just as good compared to poe back then, a bit different but really good. Customization seems to be a big focus just like poe and Grim Dawn. It's still early though so the game will undoubtedly become much better. They seem to be ambitious about their game and care about it ( like ggg ). Hopefully we get d4 in poe style too ( probably I'm positive ).

And " the best is yet to come in poe too, " Bex said. Big smile from me :)

Good times ahead arpg-fans :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YSPeLGBY5c (video from 2017 of gameplay.)

If anyone have tried it and want to share some thoughts about it go ahead.
Last bumped on Oct 28, 2017, 2:35:10 PM
There's a thread already, altough it got a bit buried...
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715240/page/1
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I haven't updated in a while since I've been on a build-making binge with PoE, but I'll get 'er back up there sooner rather than later. Great fucking game.

cool :)

I think this game has HUGE potential even more than Poe ( a big maybe though Poe is great ). Kinda looks like a mix between Poe and dark souls or something similar. It's actually camera angles and zoom mechanics, dodging/rolling too I believe. It's gonna be a wipe when its full release, kinda fair and not like ggg with all this super expensive legacy items, if I play it I most likely play it from the start day 1, no way I'm gonna play another game and start with such an insane disadvantage as I did in Poe ( uhmm legacy items and a horrible economy, std problems ) . Even though Bex said its lots of cool stuff coming I have lost faith in ggg devs, they have to be the worst ever to balance a game, and this constant meta shifting philosophy certainly is not my philosophy how an arpg should be. Poe is fun though but it feels like the game is heading in a direction I don't think is good for the game. Efficiency is all in Poe, no one is picking up rare items anymore and only orbs and it has to be done in a matter of seconds, it's just stupid imho. And build diversity is seriously just an illusion in this game, yeah sure its diversity in the main game but in high tier maps its another story. Poe isn't magical anymore.
Just hope Wolcen devs takes balance seriously because the balance ( or lack of it ) is the reason we have this constant meta shifting, killing of build diversity with how things get nerfed, overpowered legacy items in std and horrible economy. A lot of the problems with new items and skillgems is they are not playtesting it enough, we are literally their playtesters after they release it ( we should get paid lol), I don't think they have no idea when they release new gems & items really. And the bosses have so insane dps that we are forced into fewer build options , all this is a problem when the devs can't find a middleground of how they do things.

Poe is atm the best arpg i have played ever don't get me wrong but i'm not sure how long that is gonna last. The game feels almost just like d3 now , speedfarm dont pick up anything because its garbage anyway. And then its the damn gamble crafting system. I dunno maybe poe players have a bit of Stockholm syndrome. Maybe a better name for poe is path of economy i dunno.
I got it and haven't really touched it in a few weeks. I think the game has potential, but it's far from a complete game, and there isn't enough content in the game to justify a purchase at this moment.

I'd suggest waiting until the game makes it out of alpha and into beta (probably 1-2 more years, with a release 4-5 years away). It's possible a considerable amount of the current content is just placeholder stuff. There are also frequent wipes in alpha.

But that's just my opinion. I'm kinda burned out on early access games. I'm done alpha/beta testing games for awhile. There are a few games I played and liked during certain alpha/beta stages, and then strongly disagreed about a certain direction, enough to where I lost all desire to ever touch the game again.

This is why I would rather buy complete games, and start off on a complete + clean slate, than buy a game in alpha/beta just to get disappointed with the end result. Early access has almost always turned out to be a disappointment for me.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Oct 26, 2017, 2:00:19 AM
Too early in the development. But still, i'm not seeing anything special about it. Kinda disappointing.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
There are real time weather and environmental effects: if it rains, the ground forms puddles, and enemies in puddles take more lightning damage, less fire. It's a nice touch.

Hrm. This is the first thing I've heard that makes me frown about Wolcen, really. I strongly remember two other games that do this: Dark Souls 2, and Divinity: Original Sin.
D:OS is built around using and abusing ground/cloud effects and resulting statuses in turn-based combat. Rain is a Spell you can learn, and you can overcome it easily. It's a core mechanic.
Dark Souls 2 royally fucks Pyro builds in a couple zones for no good reason*. Being wet offers a very noticable boost to Fire defence and the player has no influence over this.

Being a real-time hack'n'slasher, Wolcen would lean closer to the latter example. How impactful is rain, do you feel the RNG nerf as a pure-Fire build? Are there other weather effects that influence elements otherwise?

* = and NG Miracle Casters, who benefit from this, really need it because they are "below average" outside these zones. If only holy water urns actually made things wet.
"But overall the game is nowhere near as punitive as a Souls game."
Tbh I find Souls games sooo much easier than PoE :P But, I was more referring to 'real-time, not a core mechanic' rather than anything gameplay related. The "wet status" exists, but it's just there because... They can do it? Which is a bad reason if it has any noticable impact.

So, good to know it's no big deal. To me that makes it feel a little pointless, but I can live with pointless just fine :)
Looks promising but I have been burned before on these early access so will wait.
Censored.
Thunderbolt is currently the best spammable mage spell. It has a far faster resource recovery time than fireball does. Etc, if you spam a bunch of spells behind each other with a longer resource recovery time, you'll see a brighter bar fill up on your resource bars; it's basically an alternative cooldown mechanic.

And FYI, this also makes thunderbolt a great rage generating skill, even for a non-mage.

I found out the duel-wield 2h node also allows you to use a 2h + shield. This works out well, because I found a unique mage 2h sword that has a crapload of spell crit on it. I ended up making something of a mage-tank. You can buy rare templar armor pieces from the merchants, and I loaded up a bunch of rare templar pieces with 35-40 focus on them for a massive boost to main stat. That's the only heavy armor type that's viable for casters, atm. They can also roll cast speed on them.

They nerfed the crap out of dual daggers with the last patch, when they weren't even OP previously. It's currently pointless to use them. Crossbow builds really need that rapid shot skill back for a solid single target DPS skill. I found archers to be really unfocused DPS wise. They need a solid single target DPS skill to round them out. That and bring back explosive ammo.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Oct 26, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
Tried Wolcen, really promising game.
Keep an eye on it ! :)
Hf :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info