goin from laptop to desktop

Hey guys i recently got rid off my laptop and build budget PC

well,i need only the GPU atm gonna buy it after like 1 week,so im wondering if someone of here can say is it gonna be a good build or not (maybe someone has a similar build like mine?)

so here are the specs of it:

Motherboard - ASROCK g41m-vs3

CPU - Intel® Xeon® Processor E5420
12M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB

Memory - 4GB DDR3 (for now,later gonna make it 8gigs)

GPU - Nvidia gtx 750ti (planning to buy one,i think its the best for the money i have)
PSU - 350w fortron ( 220-240V, 47/63Hz, DC 3.3/5/±12V) 750ti should be just fine

Also im wondering if the GPU gonna bottleneck the cpu :thinkig:

here is some benchmark

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=24059&game=Path%20of%20Exile:%20Atlas%20of%20Worlds&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+Processor+E5420&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti&ram=4&screenRes_width_FPS=1920&screenRes_height_FPS=1080&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements
Last edited by YajoBaby on Oct 24, 2017, 10:48:09 AM
Last bumped on Nov 5, 2017, 11:30:39 PM
"
YajoBaby wrote:

well,i need only the GPU atm gonna buy it after like 1 week,so im wondering if someone of here can say is it gonna be a good build or not (maybe someone has a similar build like mine?)

GPU - Nvidia gtx 750ti (planning to buy one,i think its the best for the money i have)
PSU - 350w fortron ( 220-240V, 47/63Hz, DC 3.3/5/±12V) 750ti should be just fine

here is some benchmark

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=24059&game=Path%20of%20Exile:%20Atlas%20of%20Worlds&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+Processor+E5420&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti&ram=4&screenRes_width_FPS=1920&screenRes_height_FPS=1080&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

Cpu and gpu will be used at full.

I am not sure about that psu, it can be ok, but if u will start to have black screen in games, u have to get more powerfull psu or the one with guaranteed at least 80% output.
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
YajoBaby wrote:

here is some benchmark

Cpu and gpu will be used at full.

I am not sure about that psu, it can be ok, but if u will start to have black screen in games, u have to get more powerfull psu or the one with guaranteed at least 80% output.

So i will be able to play the game smootly,atlest with more fps instead when i used the laptop?
If i get black screens this is goin to be indicator that some parts are overheating,and i will take bigger PSU,atlest its not so expensive
"
YajoBaby wrote:
So i will be able to play the game smootly,atlest with more fps instead when i used the laptop?
If i get black screens this is goin to be indicator that some parts are overheating,and i will take bigger PSU,atlest its not so expensive

I dont think you will be able to play game smoothly and have no idea how it will be better than ur laptop.

Black screen is not indicator of overheating, restarting system is... Black screen is indicator of insufficient power for ur components.
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
YajoBaby wrote:

I dont think you will be able to play game smoothly and have no idea how it will be better than ur laptop.

Black screen is not indicator of overheating, restarting system is... Black screen is indicator of insufficient power for ur components.

Smoothly i mean like 40 fps in that range,cuz with my laptop i've got like 10-15 in town,so i guess its gonna be much better than the laptop,and i think the power should be enough.
My recommandation. Don't go for workstation/server CPU. It can go wrong in so many ways when you expect gaming from it. It might work or it might not work as you expect [ depending on game and overall setup ].

Go for similar budget alternatives if you can. Even Intel Pentium G4560 does an incredible job at gaming and it's almost 3 times cheaper!

As for the GPU go for GTX 1030 or 1050. 1050 should be slightly under 100$. A used one should be around 50$
Last edited by sharky3010 on Oct 26, 2017, 4:53:55 AM
To tl;dr my reply: Bad idea, visit a dedicated computer forum/board and tell them about your budget, the games you play, your native display resolution and so on.

A 10 year old socket 775 motherboard and a 10 year old Core2quad or Core i Xeon for socket 771 (may or may not actually work on socket 775 with some tricks, worked for some Core2Quad Xeons afaik) is supposed to be an upgrade to your not mentioned laptop? I assume that a _new_ Core i based Celeron for 35$ will outperform your setup and the here mentioned Core I based Pentium is almost an i3 and even faster and costs 80$... I do not want to write any more but it is all a bad idea, you need some help from people who know their shit first, computer boards/forums/news sites and so on are also a great help.

Edit: Ohh, my source was wrong, it is a Core2Quad Xeon 'Harpertown' I guess and not a slightly newer and faster Nehalem, would explain the socket and the BUS instead of QPI.
How much did you pay? Just in case you were ripped off. Well, as long as you are satisfied...
And what limits or bottlenecks depends on your software and settings, card and cpu are pretty slow compared to modern CPUs and GPUs priced around 150€. I mean it's 10 year old plattform you bought and the card is easily 3-4 years old and was always a bit above 'entry level'. Something will always limit, be it the card, cpu or the RAM or something else. Gl hf with your platform.
Last edited by BlueMonday on Nov 2, 2017, 3:29:10 PM
I am running the xeon e5420 @2.5 ghz,4gigs of ram ddr3,gtx 750ti and everything is so gud atm,playing on max settings with around 70-100 fps. Im Pretty pleased
"
YajoBaby wrote:
I am running the xeon e5420 @2.5 ghz,4gigs of ram ddr3,gtx 750ti and everything is so gud atm,playing on max settings with around 70-100 fps. Im Pretty pleased

nice .)
I agree on picking up the 1050, for the price, they are pretty straight cards, definately better than an old 7 series.
HAIL SATAN!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info