[3.0] The Defending Spinner! REALY's Ultimate Guide to a Defensive Cyclone Build!!

Welcome to my guide. I am building this guide in hopes of letting everyone know that the best way to make a build isn't by focusing on damage but to structure your build by focusing on your defense. The best builds out there utilizes defense as their foundation and I want everyone to know that having the highest DPS doesn't make your build the best.

INDEX
1. Skills and Support gems
2. Passive skill tree (With Ascendency)
3. The Pantheon
4. Gear
5. Flasks
6. Jewels
7. The Bandits
8. Leveling Guide.
9. MY CURRENT GEAR AND STATS

1. Skills and Support gems

Cyclone + Melee Physical Damage Support + Ruthless + Maim + Chance to Bleed + Brutality

Spoiler
Explanation: I wanted to utilize 6 link with the most damage output possible and that is this in this order. This is a build that utilizes on physical damage only. No chaos or elemental damage will be utilized therefore we are focusing on BLEED and PURE PHYSICAL DAMAGE.

Leap Slam + Faster Attack + Fortify + Vengeance

Spoiler
Explanation: Leap Slam with Faster Attack is a must. It helps you travel around faster if you happen to lack movement speed.
It's also a great way to initiate an attack because it will trigger Fortify. Vengeance with Faster Attack is also a great way to trigger Fortify.

Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark + Determination + Ancestral Warchief

Spoiler
I went for Warlord's Mark with Determination for the leech and armor. You don't have to use go dual curse and go Vulnerability with Punishment like every other pure physical cyclone builds if you're doing enough damage already. If you hit 100,000 DPS, I believe you already have enough damage. You need minimum 60,000 DPS to be able to do Guardians and Shaper. Other than that, you should be focused on survival!
Survival is the foundation to this guide. If you can't survive a boss or a map, what is the use of having 300,000 DPS?! You want to have about 7,000 HP with about 5,000 - 7,000 Armor to survive up to T16 and beyond maps. The extra endurance charges you gain (total of 5 endurance charges in this build) will help you achieve a max of 87% physical damage reduction! If you want to follow my way and go defensive, you can go determination and Warlord's Mark. If you believe you lack the damage, go for dual curse Vulnerability and Punishment. Doedre's Damning ring is a great way to budget. Unless you have a Carnage Heart or Daresso's with +1 additional Curse.

Cast When Damage Taken + Blood Rage + Phase Run + Summon Flame Golem

Spoiler
Explanation: I did not go immortal call because you do not want to lose your endurance charge. You want to keep your endurance charges for the damage reduction. I went for Blood Rage for the attack speed and leech. Also you can gain frenzy charges which will help you increase more attack speed and movement speed. I went for Phase Run for the increase melee damage and movement speed. I went for Flame Golem for the extra damage.

2. Passive Tree (With Ascendency)

MY CURRENT PASSIVE TREE
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.2/AAAABAQBAAHcBLMFLQd1C2EMcA3NERoS4RQgFHEcziFVIWAnnytQLlMwdzIJNZI64Tu2PAU8LT38QKBFmkd-TeNQR1dUWf5eE185Xz9hUmRSZU1nm2hYaGVo8mxGbydvO3Jscqlza3TtdPF2rHfjeA1673zZggeDX4PMhNmE74WnhrSHaonYivCMz49gkGyRzpOommqbLaIAouqlNaZXqSepbqmUrKquPq9sr6ewq7KAtfK3PrvtvTa-p8AawGbApsGjxBXEgsT2xq7PftNv15bYvdl82sHcPeJh5FHqGO8O707vfPAf8kHyRfPd9WH2SPcy-Ov-Cv5U_o8=

Also if you follow my passive tree EXACTLY, but dont have exactly the right gears and it leads you to have NO MANA WHATSOEVER to use cyclone and leap when you have warlord's mark and determination up at the same time or go dual curse blasephemy with vulerability and punishment. You can fix this lack of mana by following this passive tree,

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.2/AAAABAQBAAHcBLMFLQd1C2EMcA3NERoS4RNMFCAUcRfhHM4hVSFgJvgnCyefK1AuUzB3Mgk1kjrhO7Y8BTwtPfxAoEWaR35N404yUEdXVFn-XhNfOV8_YVJkUmVNZ5toWGhlaPJsRm8nbztybHKpc2t07XTxdqx343gNeu982YIHg1-DtoPMhNmE74WnhrSG0YdqidiK8IzPj2CQbJHOk6iaapstogCi6qU1plepJ6luqZSsqq4-r2yvp7CrsoC18rc-u-29Nr6nwBrAZsCmwaPEFcSCxPbGrs9-02_Xlti92Xzawdw94mHkUeoY7w7vTu988B_yQfJF8931YfZI9zL46_4K_lT-jw==

Ascendancy

Slayer is definitely the way to go. The 20% Life Culling Strike, Onslaught, great damage boosts and the insane over leeching/life leech effect when at max life is ideally the best for most cyclone builds. We will be depending on life leech for surviving against insanely big mobs and we can easily cyclone through them for the life leech. Again, I want to emphasize how much important it is to have MORE LIFE and ARMOR with average-decent damage compare to having Low-Average HP and Low Armor with Insane Damage. Yea having insane damage is great and all... but once you focus on damage only and waste all your skill points on mostly damage nodes, you're going to be constantly playing a game of kill first or die as well as constantly die from boss fights. You want to focus mainly on having a lot of HP, Armor and life leech. This is why slayer ascendency is so great! You can focus on using your skill points on life and armour and you will naturally gain a good boost of damage at the same time because slayer gives so much bonus damage nodes!

3. The Pantheon

This is a simple. You can go for other ones but I highly recommend you go for:

MAJOR: Soul of Lunaris
Explanation: Soul of Lunaris for the additional physical damage reduction and movement speed. It's just ideal to go for it because it wills great offensively and defensively. Offensively for the movement speed when using cyclone and defensively for the physical damage reduction. You can change to Soul of Solaris for bosses or when fighting shaper/guardians.

MINOR: Soul of Yugul
Explanation: Again, we are focusing on defense. Soul of Yugul is great when we encounter random physical reflect mobs. The 50% reduced from tree so another 25% on top of that can help you survive when you cyclone once and give you the CHANCE to SURVIVE and AVOID them after. Having high HP can also be great but avoid PHYSICAL REFLECT at all times because that's DEATH to you.

4. GEAR

MY CURRENT GEAR AT LVL 89
Spoiler

Since you will have to depend on your glove, boots, and 2x rings to cap all resistances. You can switch out the DEVOTO's DEVOTION for a rare helmet with max life and resistances (and enchant with 40% cyclone damage or 15% cyclone attack speed is even better).

FOR BUDGETING I RECOMMEND:
CARNAGE HEART ONYX AMULET instead of the DARESSO's AMMY.

BELT OF THE DECEIVER instead of THE RETCH. THE BELT OF DECEIVER reduces 30% of critical strike damage done to you by monsters and also increases your damage by intimidating monsters around you. This is absolutely a great substitute for THE RETCH. If you can't grab the retch, go for more life leech nodes over increase physical damage. However, if you grab carnage heart with the belt of deceiver, the combo pretty much balances the situation out for you.

RARE AXE WITH HIGH DPS AND CHANCE TO BLEED instead of the ATZIRI's DISFAVOUR.

INSTEAD OF SPIKE GLOVES, you can go for any RARE GLOVES with "Add x to x physical damage to attack" and max life (AT LEAST 60+) and FIRE/COLD/LIGHTNING RESISTANCES. INCREASED ATTACK SPEED is also a great addition if you can't find one with add physical dmg to attacks. HIGH MAX LIFE with TRI-RES is A MUST on your GLOVES.

WINDSCREAM instead of RARE BOOTS for 15% elemental resistance and additional curse if you're going dual curse but I highly recommend you grab a rare boots with high life/resistances/movement speed.

DOEDRE's DAMNING with a RARE STEEL RING if you want to go DUAL CURSE.

I recommend you just going with determination and blasphemy-warlord's mark and grabbing 2x steel rings because these steel rings give you GREAT DAMAGE BOOST with LIFE AND RES.

KAOM's HEART IS A MUST. NO OTHER ARMOR because KAOM's is 'that armour for hella lotta life'

*****IMPORTANT****** With lack of intelligence, you will need to focus on getting equipments that gives you enough Intelligence to wear your gear unless you can grab jewel with Intelligence (enough to let you wear your gear). ALSO IF YOU'RE NOT GOING DEVOTO's DEVOTION, you are going to need enough DEX to wear some of your equipments and will need to gain dex from somewhere. Make sure you keep this in mind as you hunt for your final gear! I prefer you grabbing Devoto's Devotion with 40% cyclone damage because that is my next goal which is going for about 10-15 exalted orbs.

5. FLASK

Spoiler

I chose this "Experimenter's Basalt Flask of Heat" for the defensive reasons. The extra physical reduction will help us reach A TOTAL OF 87% Physical Damage Reduction at the end (with at least 5,600 armour) which is STRAIGHT RIDICULOUS!

I chose this Alchemist's Sulphur Flask of Adrenaline for pure offensive reasons. The extra movement speed and 40% damage increase is just pure awesomeness.

Lion's Road is a must for cyclone build. Helps spread out highly concentrated mobs so you dont get one hit killed. Also, helps you move bosses to specific locations to help party members when mapping and the increase melee damage is great!

Witchfire Brew is great for the increased damage over time because we are a pure physical with bleed focused build. Helps greatly increase your bleed damage.

Alchemist's Quicksilver Flask of Staunching is for increased movement speed while using your cyclone for greater manuverability. You need bleed only when there are no monsters around you and you're bleeding which is usually highly unlikely so you can grab something else such as a mana pot with instant recovery and movement speed or life pot with instant recovery and additional movement speed or increase resistance if you lack resistance.

6. JEWELS

Spoiler

I mainly focused on JEWELS with Increased Physical Damage / % Maximum Life / Attack Speed.

Also, jewels with Increased Physical Damage / % Maximum Life / Intelligence or to All Attributes (At least +11-15 to Intelligence) is highly recommended if you cannot find rare rings with intelligence/dex.

Jewels with Increased Area Damage / % Maximum Life / Chaos Resistance is suggested.

7. THE BANDITS

Kraityn
6% increased Attack and Cast Speed, 3% chance to Dodge Attacks, 6% increased Movement Speed

The 3% dodge is OKAY and also the increases to your attack, cast and movement speed is 'okay' but will hardly make a difference.

Alira
5 Mana Regenerated per second, +20% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier, +15% to all Elemental Resistances

The 15% to all resistances is pretty good if you lack the gears for it. Anything that'll help your elemental resistance go up is good considering that you'll be using 3 to 5 unique items that give absolutely no elemental resistances. BUT you're going resolute technique so you cannot strike any CRITICAL STRIKES....SO THIS IS USELESS if you just want to go for the extra resistances and mana regen.

Oak
1% of Life Regenerated per second, 2% additional Physical Damage Reduction, 20% increased Physical Damage

The flat physical damage reduction and damage increase are great. You will choose this option if you are going for the budget items.

Kill all
2 passive skill points

I highly recommend you grab 2 skill points if you can afford the gears I have. If you are going budget items, I suggest you go for OAK.

8. Leveling Guide

Spoiler

Start with Cleave in the beginning and work your way up to level 12.

Once you're at level 12, grab SUNDER. It's a great AOE skill that can take out 3-5 monsters at a time.

At level 13 you can buy "Limbsplite Woodsplitter" axe for dirt cheap (an orb of alteration or alchemy) and work your way up to level 18 to grab "Wideswing Poleaxe" axe which is also dirt cheap (an orb of alteration or alchemy).

**Also at level 16, you can grab Herald of Ash for damage boost (a reward from the "Intruders in Black" quest in Act 2 or you can buy it from Yeena in Act 2 when you complete her quest).

Use Sunder until you hit level 28.

At level 33, you can buy "Reaper's Pursuit Shadow Axe" for an alchemy orb.

Switch to Ice Crash which is a quest reward "Sever the Right Hand" (killing General Gravicius) in Act

Use Ice Crash from level 28 up to level 32. Keep your support gems that you were using with Sunder.

Once you hit level 32 and you think you can sustain the mana use from cyclone, change over to cyclone and follow my gem link for cyclone listed beginning of the guide.

At level 38, grab level 1 Cast When Damage Taken (a reward from the "The Eternal Nightmare" quest in Act 4) and link it with Level 3 Immortal Call (which you can buy from Siosa in Act 3 after finishing the "Breaking the Seal" quest in Act 4)

You can grab "The Harvest Jasper Axe" at level 37, or keep the reaper until you're level 40 to buy the "Cauteriser Woodsplitter" axe which is also sold for an orb of alchemy.

Grab "The Blood Reaper Headsman Axe" at level 45, and then switch over to "Kaom's Primacy Karui Chopper" at level 58. Grab "Hezmana's Bloodlust Vaal Axe" at level 64 for cheap.

You can buy "Uul-Netol's Embrace Vaal Axe" for a few chaos at level 64 and use that until you can afford a higher damage with chance to bleed rare axe or Atziri's Disfavour (going for 3 ex right now, you can 5 link after buying it for 3 ex).

By the time you hit level 70, everything should go real smooth. All you'll have to do is cyclone away and just try to survive mobs you go through. Grab gems for 4 links ASAP.

9. MY CURRENT GEAR AND STATS

CURRENT GEAR
Spoiler

I am at 7,074 life with 3,786 armour (with determination; it's 5,603 armour) which is 31% estimated physical damage reduction. With 5 endurance charges up, I will easily reach an 51% estimated physical damage reduction. With 15% damage reduction from my basalt flask and 3,000 armour from lion's roar, I can reach 81% estimated physical damage reduction which makes you nearly invincible with 7,000 HP.

MY cyclone does 59,324.7 DPS unbuffed. with ancestral warchief up (for 10% increased damage), I am doing 70,027 DPS. With bloodrage and 3 frenzy charges up, I am doing about 97,043 DPS. With Lion's Roar and increased 40% damage from sulphur flask with extra 10% from ancestral warchief and max'd charges, I can reach an estimated damage of 141,000 DPS which is MORE THAN ENOUGH!

You see how great it is to make survival and living the foundation to your build instead of damage. You can easily achieve high DPS without even focusing on it. Just focus on life and armour dammit! Don't be like all the other CYCLONE builds and focus mainly on DAMAGE and you just end up constantly dying from bosses and highly concentrated mobs or harbingers. FOCUS ON DEFENSE!

I can easily do SHAPER, GUARDIANS, AND UBER LAB. I haven't tried UBER ATZIRI YET but it'll probably be real smooth like the other end-game contents. Beachheads are great way to level up when you hit around level 89. That's all I been doing before I was farming at guardian maps (hydra, phoenix, chimera, and minotaur) and Shaper.

DON'T FOCUS ON DAMAGE LIKE ALL THE OTHER CYCLONE BUILDS. FOCUS ON DEFENSE (LIFE, ARMOUR, EVASION, ETC)! MAKE DEFENSE YOUR FOUNDATION,.. NOT DAMAGE! DAMAGE WILL COME AS YOU GET BETTER GEARS!

***SCREENSHOTS OF STATS SUCH AS DPS, LIFE, ETC ALL COMING SOON!

***SHAPER VIDEO / GUARDIAN t16 BOSS VIDEOS / UBER LAB / SHAPER VIDEOS / BEACHHEAD VIDEOS / MAP VIDEOS ARE ALL COMING SOON!
Last edited by karlitobaby on Oct 24, 2017, 5:09:17 PM
Last bumped on Nov 2, 2017, 10:48:03 PM
Last edited by karlitobaby on Oct 24, 2017, 4:13:58 AM
hi there, i cannot decide between chance to bleed vs conc. effect. appreciate any advice

bleed damage scales off the physical damage done by the hit, so conc. effect will also give higher bleed damage, no?

also, chance to bleed adds 52-77 (lvl 22 in disfavour), which is about 12% of disfavour's base damage, whereas conc. effect is 50% more multiplier.

if our initial hit is big, then we can leech more, which is good for a slayer, whereas we cannot leech bleed damage.

have you tried chance to bleed vs conc. effect? need help in deciding between chance to bleed vs conc effect

"
hi there, i cannot decide between chance to bleed vs conc. effect. appreciate any advice

bleed damage scales off the physical damage done by the hit, so conc. effect will also give higher bleed damage, no?

also, chance to bleed adds 52-77 (lvl 22 in disfavour), which is about 12% of disfavour's base damage, whereas conc. effect is 50% more multiplier.

if our initial hit is big, then we can leech more, which is good for a slayer, whereas we cannot leech bleed damage.

have you tried chance to bleed vs conc. effect? need help in deciding between chance to bleed vs conc effect

So I read your comment and am currently looking into the damage output (chance to bleed gem vs concentrated effect) on Path of Building. I will PM you a screenshot of damage difference off of POB but, right off the bat, I could see that conc effect may give you higher bleed damage output than chance to bleed but you wouldn't want to lose the decrease in area of effect because you are pretty much negating the increase in weapon and melee range you get from atziri's disfavour and daresso's salute citrine amulet for a little bit more damage. I would not mind doing less damage to more monsters than doing more damage to less monsters because, in the end, you wanna hit as much monsters as possible to activate your leech and bleed to survive and to kill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info