Any Windows experts? BSOD

Hello. Over the years I've noticed there are some Very technically savvy people on these forums who I respect greatly. So I figured I'd run this by you guys and see if you could help me.

I have an older computer with all my older nostalgia games on it for compatibility. It has Windows Vista. In maintaining it, I got a bit overzealous with the uninstaller program, apparently. Now whenever I launch a game, a few seconds after I get the Blue Screen Of Death. It flashes for the tiniest fraction of a second and I can't even read what it says. Then Windows restarts.

I used the restore point in the uninstaller program. It changed nothing. Everything else besides games works fine, and a few simpler games like ADOM and Tome4 will still work fine.

Looked up guides and videos but they've been no help.

So I'm wondering what I can do, aside from copying all my saved games, reinstalling Windows, and reinstalling the games and the save files, hoping everything works. Seems like a pain in the ass I'd rather not do, except as a last resort.

Any ideas?

"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Last bumped on Oct 17, 2017, 10:46:57 AM
Could be a lot of things: hardware problem, driver problem, virus overwriting critical memory, or other rare bullshit.

You could try to isolate the problem. Trying running a memory test to see if it is a faulty memory stick. Try running anti virus. Try checking your drivers, especially your graphics card drivers (which i recommend you simply reinstall). Try changing the screen resolution.

Could be a powersurge from a fan trying to kick on. Try running a resource intensive program which doesnt use your graphics card, and really work your system hard.

Most likely cause is either graphics card drivers or the graphics card itself in my opinion though.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Heya,

Please do this. Then go launch a game again.

When you get a Blue Screen, it should now remain for as long as you want. To be able to help you, we need to know what the error displayed says. There's lots of different BSoDs.

There's two pieces of information I'd like to know;

1. At the top of the screen, it'll say "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Beneath this will be an error in the form of upper case text, with words separated by underscores. I_NEED_TO_KNOW_WHAT_THIS_SAYS ;)

2. The second piece of useful information will be the very bottom line, and it won't be in English. You'll see something along the lines of *** STOP: 0x000000ED, and then four memory addresses in brackets. I need to know what is displayed on this line as well.

If you've got a phone or a tablet with a good camera, a photo of the screen is fine by me. If you'd rather type it out in a response, that's good as well. You're the one doing the work, so however you get me that information is entirely up to you - I don't mind at all.

Technically, this kind of information should be saved by Windows. I'm asking you to go crash the computer again because 1) it's a software problem which means no physical damage is occurring, and, 2) this is probably the simplest way of accessing the information, and, 3) if it crashes right in front of you, we know it's a recent (and thus relevant) crash.

I live in the Republic of Ireland (it's 18:40 here) and probably won't be going out this evening, but I might be distracted occasionally. I'll try to check in on the thread a few times, but please remember I'm not being paid so will sometimes be busy doing other stuff. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Oct 14, 2017, 1:41:33 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
Heya,

When you get a Blue Screen, it should now remain for as long as you want. To be able to help you, we need to know what the error displayed says. There's lots of different BSoDs.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/
gives a lot of tips on diagnosing bsod. Including reading crash dumps.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Oct 14, 2017, 1:44:38 PM
"
SkyCore wrote:
https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/
gives a lot of tips on diagnosing bsod. Including reading crash dumps.

I'm not sure I understand why you're linking this to me? :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
You can use the software "BlueScreenViewer" - basicly help to read BSOD dump files, post results here we will be able to help a bit more :)

Note: you can also check the windows event viewer to track others possible errors
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Oct 14, 2017, 2:18:34 PM
starting to figure this out

"On Sun 10/15/2017 1:02:16 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101517-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iuregprocessfilter.sys (IURegProcessFilter+0x1F67)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFFE01EC000, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\drivers\win7_x86\IURegProcessFilter.sys
product: IU7
company: IObit.com
description: IURegProcessFilter
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iuregprocessfilter.sys (IURegProcessFilter, IObit.com).
Google query: IObit.com UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

On Sat 10/14/2017 8:37:47 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x1736)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFFE01DA000, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
What version of windows are you using?
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
What version of windows are you using?

Vista

Report Forum Post

Report Account: