Confession: I started smoking again, now I'm quitting AGAIN

Yeah, I know. A real dumbass. A moment of intoxication (well more than a moment) and I have lived to regret it. Hoping it will be easier to quit again since I haven't been doing it that long.

My bad. :(
Censored.
Last bumped on Nov 8, 2017, 12:42:07 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Yeah, I know. A real dumbass. A moment of intoxication (well more than a moment) and I have lived to regret it. Hoping it will be easier to quit again since I haven't been doing it that long.

Don't over pressure, it won't help you :)
Just take a different approach on it, everyones can fail when trying something, specialy with cigarette.

Not the end of the world, the important part is you find your way to stop it.

Tought i could recommend you to start running on a regular basis, and avoiding alcohol / coffee and such things, drinking a lot of water is helping a lot aswell.
Running has nothing to do with beeing healthy it's not why i'm mentioning it; it's about making your mental stronger. When you start to run regulary there is a progression that take time see my point ? It's hard, it might hurt, you might be tired from the begin but at the end it really worth the effort, and it will lead you to consider it twice before smoking again because eventualy you won't want to risk this progression. Of course you won't risk it with one cigarette, but at this point i think you already learnt that we never talk about only one :)

See that as risk versus reward :)

H

Good luck to you.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Oct 13, 2017, 3:43:14 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:

Alcoholics knows they are whole life in crisis, so with that attitude, they never drink again.. at least those who remember crisis is permanent :).

I read one theory about addiction: if at least once per month man thinks about getting drunk, stoned, nikotin etc. is still addicted.
I am an alcoholic, and about eight or nine months ago quit drinking and smoking. I took Chantix to help me quit the latter. It really helped, but then I relapsed once I stopped taking it. I figure, I'll let it go for some time until I get sick of it again, then this time I have experience to back me up--I know I have quit once and can do it again, and I also know how good I felt and productive I was when I wasn't smoking.

Still haven't touched alcohol, and am mostly not tempted to. Occasionally I miss feeling high and numb to pain (I have a degenerated disc in my spine, so chronic pain), but I'm not really interested in drinking. Took the same approach to that as I am smoking--grow tired of it until I want to make change.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
I'm very sorry to hear that. :(
A hell of a way to enforce quitting. You going to be OK?

Yeah, Rexeos, I did go for quite awhile (can't swear it was a month) without thinking about the buggers.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Oct 13, 2017, 6:32:56 PM
I am so disappointed in you. Back then I already pointed out to you that if you really wanted to quit you needed to have every reason to do so and never give yourself a single excuse. The very first honest response from me already earned some defensive remarks from you. That is when I learnt to give up on you. Nobody is obliged to motivate you when you are not motivated yourself.
Hi OP. May I suggest you try vaping, it has helped me.

I'm still quite new at it, since late July this year. Been a smoker for about 20 years. Been trying to quit on and off for abut 5 years. The thing I notice about it is after I have vaped for maybe about a month, the effect is when I tried to smoke again, it tasted awful, only on the third stick that smoking cig tasted a little bit better, the way I remembered it to be. I'm not sure why this is, maybe my brain preferred to get my nic fix on the vape instead. The amazing thing was that I didn't even noticed it but I didn't smoke for a month, that was something.

Well anyway I'm not a vaping activist or vaping whatever, good luck on your mission to get off cigs.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Dont trade one unhealthy crutch for another. Weak.

Sure. But I know how hard it is to quit smoking. Any help is appreciated. If you think vaping won't help then don't.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Dont trade one unhealthy crutch for another. Weak.

For what it’s worth, I know exactly one person who turned to vaping and, over time, dialed back the nicotine to zero. She now only vapes when social circumstance suggests everybody should go outside for a smoke.

I agree that most people lie to themselves about why they switch to vaping. But at least, anecdotally, it can serve as a vehicle towards recovery if you want it to.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
If I have to eat a bit more carefully, avoid social vices and take it easy, hey, that's an easy trade-off for a relatively pain-free existence. :)

I think my boat has slightly fewer holes (for now), but I hear that. After feeling the benefits of a few lifestyle changes, I sometimes wonder why it was such a big deal back then.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
For what it’s worth, I know exactly one person who turned to vaping and, over time, dialed back the nicotine to zero. She now only vapes when social circumstance suggests everybody should go outside for a smoke.

I agree that most people lie to themselves about why they switch to vaping. But at least, anecdotally, it can serve as a vehicle towards recovery if you want it to.

I know several people that have quit smoking completely (quit over two years or more), by going the vaping route in between.

There's no real medical consensus on it yet, and I suspect there are competing financial lobbies behind the different positions. One of the larger >150,000 people and more recent studies (2017) published in the British Medical Journal suggests that people who already smoke try quitting more often and are more successful with quitting if they vape.
http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3262
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info