[3.0] Varunastra Crit Sunder Gladiator Ulab/Atziri/Guardians 900k dps

Sunder is an awesome clearing skill and I don't need to explain why Gladiator + Sunder is a good idea. However, RT Sunder suffers from relatively low single target damage. I tried making a build that buffs Sunders Single Target potential by going the crit route.

The issue with Sunder is that axes have a low crit multiplier. When you are using a rare axe, getting Marylenes Fallacy is a must. However, there is another option: Varunastra. Using Varunastra frees up the amulet slot (Bisco yay) and we can get VP while losing quite a bit of block

The results:

Fully buffed with eveything
Non Varunastra version
Spoiler

This build can do all maps without issues. Uberlab is easy. Guardians are doable

Required Uniques:
Spoiler

Varunastra version:

regular non varunastra version

I present you: Abyssus 2.0. 230 Crit multi, Culling Strike and Accuracy without the downside of taking 40% more physical damage. We lose 40% critchance but it does not negate the crit bonus from the Diamond Flask

Offhand options: Prismatic Eclipse (more block, faster mapclear) or Death's Hand (more damage)

The corruption is not required although it is a nice bonus. GGG for maximum damage.

Skilltree:
Varunastra

Rare Axe

PoB Link
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/h28pVVJN

My Gear
Spoiler

Gem Links
Spoiler
Sunder-Melee Phys - Conc Effect - Chance to Bleed/Critical Damage - Ruthless - Multistrike
Whirling Blades-Fortify-FA-Blodd Magic/Power Charge on Crit
Ancestral Warchief-FA-Maim-Conc Effect
Hatred, Herald of Ash, Vaal Haste
CWDT-Enfeeble-IC

Videos (old non Varunastra version)
Spoiler

Shaped Shore in under 2 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAWOSXdwFQ
First Phoenix attempt, 2 deaths
https://youtu.be/AopX4Dm2MsY
First Chimera attempt, 1 death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbswwlKLv4I

Last edited by Shadowgurke on Oct 22, 2017, 9:10:57 AM
Last bumped on Dec 7, 2017, 5:36:44 PM
added a small video demonstration
Hi there,

I see no one else responded but I thought this looked really interesting. I'm a huge fan of sunder just not its dps. This looks to do a good job solving that. The only serious expense is the eventual 6l armor and most likely matching that axe of yours. A high crit chance attack speed and damage combo isn't cheap. Otherwise it all seems to make sense. I'll be giving it a go thanks for the idea.

It looks like the logical end game transition for the more common DW sunder builds that are loved right now.
Last edited by hellnhavoc on Oct 12, 2017, 7:59:25 AM
Problem is, it's not really that much more damage, and you lose about 2K HP. Axes simply aren't designed for crit. The nodes and gear you have to use, it's just so inefficient.

Still, you've made it work better than I would've thought, so good work. I love Sunder so I like seeing different variations.
Bandit ? Ascendancy tree skill points is not added in the passive skill tree.
Bandit is Kraityn but in hindsight Kill all is probably the best.

"
Problem is, it's not really that much more damage, and you lose about 2K HP. Axes simply aren't designed for crit. The nodes and gear you have to use, it's just so inefficient.

Still, you've made it work better than I would've thought, so good work. I love Sunder so I like seeing different variations.

The very first thing I checked before going crit was wether it was actually worth it. Looking through the top 100 Gladiators on ladder they do between 150 and 400k with all buffs/flasks up while having 6-8 more skillpoints than my build. So doing between 50-400% more damage than regular Sunder seems like a decent increase. Using my exact same gear, exchanging Gloves with +attack speed gloves and the amulet with a rare with phys roll my build does 314.887k dps using the same buffs. I do have significantly more life though. The tree doesn't look very inefficient to me but if you have some suggestions feel free to fire away.

The HP part is true, although with 60% block, 5,2k Life and 3 endurance charges and passive fortify I am not too worried about my survivability.

"
Hi there,

I see no one else responded but I thought this looked really interesting. I'm a huge fan of sunder just not its dps. This looks to do a good job solving that. The only serious expense is the eventual 6l armor and most likely matching that axe of yours. A high crit chance attack speed and damage combo isn't cheap. Otherwise it all seems to make sense. I'll be giving it a go thanks for the idea.

It looks like the logical end game transition for the more common DW sunder builds that are loved right now.

A rare 6L will do in the beginning, although you should probably replace Perseverance with a High HP leather belt to compensate. The axe cost me about 1 ex back when exalts were 45c so not crazy expensive. I am glad that you liked the build
Last edited by Shadowgurke on Oct 13, 2017, 3:43:24 PM
I'm not saying your tree is inefficient, I'm just saying axes are inefficient for crit. They have a very low base crit and no nodes that directly support it, like swords/claws/daggers do. But like I said, it's a much better crit Sunder build than I would've thought possible.
Completely revamped the skilltree. Added Varunastra for higher crit potential. Overall 300k dps gain and access to VP
I see no source for unholy might in this build and you're also super dangerously low on your resist. With only about a 30% chance to block I would not factor in the recently blocked dps buff. There are also several extra nodes in your tree that are not needed. Once your resist are fixed, the false buffs in PoB, and taking out the unreliable block then your dps is only about 612k. If you insist on the block then you're looking at 680k dps. Still good dps but your levels of resist is far too dangerous and you have no way of triggering unholy might.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info