Anyone thinking about the new Intel Coffee Lake CPUs........

Hitting over 90C during gaming on water with a 420mm radiator. I knew Intel put bird poop under the lids of these new CPUs, but damn!

FYI, if you buy one of these new chips, then you better get a delid kit. They got videos on how to delid CPUs and put new thermal compound on the inside. FYI, delid + relid kits are about $40. The difference is so extreme, that delid + air cooler is going to be better than no delid + 420mm radiator water cooler.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Oct 5, 2017, 8:28:28 PM
Last bumped on Oct 11, 2017, 6:54:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking doing major upgrades to my computer but I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

4.7GHz is stock for those, right? I'm assuming that the black line is no OC but still it's pretty warm for being water cooled.
"

4.7GHz is stock for those, right?

No. 4.7ghz is single core turbo clocks. 4.3ghz is for all-core turbo. The OC in question is just a straight up 4.9ghz OC (all cores).

Honestly, you're better off just getting the I7 8700 (non-K) model. It has lower TDP due to being 65w compared to 95w for the K model. The non-K model is over $50 cheaper, and comes with a cooler. The 'all core' turbo frequency is still 4.3ghz for the I7 8700 model, and is only 100mhz off on some of the partial core turbos:

Also, I believe starting with Skylake processors, and newer, it's gotten easier to BCLK overclock. You can't increase the multiplier on non-K model CPUs, but you could still squeeze a few hundred mhz more out of a non-K model with BCLK overclocking.

The I3 8350k is also a really good buy.

I ordered one of these beasts, because for $100, it's a freaking steal.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-Liquid-CAPTAIN-360-EX/dp/B01HGLAEYC
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Oct 11, 2017, 7:13:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info