[3.0] Warma's Expensive, yet mediocre builds vol. 1: Glacial Hammer crit Marauder

"
Staves are shit.

"
Glacial Hammer is shit.

Yea kinda.

Our playgroup had an additional challenge this league: everybody had to make a strictly ice-themed character. As everybody else gravitates towards glass cannons, I played a tank as usual.
The other build guides for the group are here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2006909

Concept and mechanics:
Spoiler

The focus of the build is on easy and straightforward playstyle. This is achieved with the following uniques:

Glacial hammer has innate culling on crit/freeze. It also has innate melee splash while using the Winter Burial jewel. These features combine to form a virtual 8-link and using two jewels will ensure 100% conversion from physical to cold, avoiding phys reflect and maximizing the effect of the Cold Penetrarion gem. It also makes it easy to freeze everything which isn't specifically freeze immune (and this actually happens).

Furthermore, Hegemony's Era has a chance of granting a power charge on knockback. Combined with the Blunt Trauma and Smashing Strikes notables, each hit thus has a chance of granting both Power and Endurance Charges. In other words, the character powers up by standing beside a boss and holding down LMB.

Advantages and disadvantages:
Spoiler

Pros:
+ High crit, high life and fast leech.
+ Very durable.
+ Adequate single-target damage (~200k+, about 400k with flasks).
+ Comfy.

Cons:
- ~80+ex fully geared.
- Can't run elemental reflect.
- Running no-leech is very risky.
- Slow clearspeed.
- Beating Shaper is difficult and you can't clear Hall of the Grandmasters.

Surprise pros:
+ Once you've bought all this expensive shit, it can be used to gear a better build.

Tree:

Gear:
Spoiler

Hegemony's Era is essential as your main weapon. A well-rolled one has about 500 dps and good crit. As far as I know, this is the only way to autogenerate both Endurance and Power charges simply my attacking.

As you are really far from Vaal Pact, Atziri's Acquity is essential. With full power charges, your crit is around 60%, which is enough to out-leech almost all content.

Kaom's Heart is too good to pass up when you already have a 6-link from a two-handed weapon.

Enmity Divine is necessary to beat guardians and hexproof maps. As the only source of leech is Warlord's Mark, any high-tier bosses will grant too little life on hit. This new Harbinger staff has a very high crit and innate 2% leech, which makes facing hard-hitting bosses much safer.

Everything else is rare. I current have the following gear:

Links:
Spoiler

Both Hegemony and Enmity use the following 6-linked Glacial Hammer:

Warlord's Mark with Blasphemy is necessary for leech, as you are too far away from any attack damage leech in the tree:

Additionally, a supporting Frenzy enables you to maintain all three types of charges:

The rest of the links are pretty much up to you. I use both an Ancestral Protector and an Ice Golem for buffs and use Leap Slam as the movement skill of choice.
The 3-link for Ice Golem and Ancestral Protector has space for Hatred, which is the best damage aura for the build:

Flasks:
Spoiler
One bleed/health flask is sometimes necessary, while the rest are for damage and movement speed.

A Taste of Hate is better than any of the listed flasks, but I managed to even up my resistances at 103-103-103, and it would spoil this symmetry. If you need more damage and don't want to go fast, an Atziri's Promise can be substituted for the Quicksilver.

Pantheon:
Spoiler

Lunaris => Don't die to chained projectiles off your totems and golem.
Whatever => Whatever you want. I use Gruthkul for extra physical resistance, but Yugul might save your life more often.

Leveling, budget, progress and tips:
Spoiler

The Stormheart will carry you until endgame. When there, unless it's the first day in the league, Hegemony's Era will set you back about 1c and the same is true for Enmity Divine. 5-link is plenty for both until deep into red maps.

Good rolls will of course cost more and I recommend investing into one before attempting a 6-link.

The real problem is that you are an elemental damage melee crit build, which means that all of your jewelry will be extremely expensive. Furthermore, with almost zero dex from the tree, high accuracy is necessary on all eligible rare gear and its synergy with the Juggernaut ascendancy further necessitates this. I sunk about 25ex on the pieces listed above. Furthermore, Atziri's Acquity is extremely expensive and the power of this build does not really justify acquiring one.

FAQ:
Spoiler

Q: Videos?
A: Coming soon.

Q: You speak of holding down LMB. Are you really namelocking everything?
A: Yeah. It's comfy.

Q: Did you really spend 80ex on a build which can't do shaper?
A: Yes. The build doesn't have damage in the millions, so killing shaper is, while possible, quite difficult. The floor will get cluttered and any damage downtime greatly lowers your dps.

Q: Should I play this build?
A: Probably not.
Last edited by Warmag2 on Sep 23, 2017, 7:17:44 PM
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2017, 6:41:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info