Stupidly, pointlessly, boringly easy

My fellow associates wont play this game any more as it is boringly easy.

Now before the hardcore crowd swarm, no a hardcore character wouldnt significantly improve this, merely risking everything is not what we are after.

All mobs need at least 25%-50% more health so they can do something other than explode at the edge of the screen. Often it takes longer to read the names of special mobs than to kill them.

Ive read the answers to previous 'its too easy' posts and the response are always - "ohh you just wait and see!" But I wont be playing the game then as the 50+ hours of wiping weak dross off the maps will have killed my appreciation of this game stone dead.

If newcomers to ARGPs need the hand holding then reintroduce a difficulty setting that I could choose from the outset. I would prefer to play on a setting at least one notch up from the current setting, probably a couple.

I dug out Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for my PS2 just to check and that game has a much better beginning difficulty, yes yes its a shorter game etc but that is the baseline of player experience that ARGP develpers need to aspired to.

Goddamn D3 had the same issue. "ohh but i gets much harder later on!" to whit i say "WHEN!!? Ive put getting on for 30 hours in. This is not an issue that virtually any other genre of game suffers from.

Can anyone calmly explain why this is 'the way' ARGPs must be? - Play through the entire thing on pointlessly easy just to get to grips with mechanics that have been common to RPGs for a thousand years?!!!

ARGPs. I love the concept but have been regularly disapointed buy the product for that last 15 years.
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2017, 2:55:08 PM
Okay.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
Why dont you show us your real profile so we can see how EZ this game is for you?
Im playing it on Xbox, I dont know of a way to link accounts.

Why would such a resource invalidate my opinion anyway? Oh wait, are you perhaps of the hardcore crowd about to tell me I dont know anything until I've lost a level million character or that a death or two on my soft character is proof of difficulty?

I stated I'd played around 30 hrs. For more context: I'm just inside the door of act 4, Ive only died when I had to answer the phone and forgot the game doesnt pause in single player. Why even have mobs on the first acts? its like they arent even there anyway..

Really I just need some real evidence of a challange or I cant justify the time sink.

Which is a crying shame, the gem system is inspired.

Anyway that was off topic. All i really want are:

Some idea of when a difficulty spike might feel like turning up. Can someone say it gets more challanging from act...?

Looking on the net has only turned up converstaions about the previous incarnation of PoE pre-massive-update and then the often dripping in snark reply is: keep going for another couple of playthroughs. Argh.

Why do all modern TD-ARPGs work like this? Its mental.

Its like if in Dishonered 2 for the first 3 levels you could walk around and kill whoever you liked without any guards reacting and they just tip their hats as you drag a body past.

Or a Halo where the basic plasma pistol one-shots everything, even troop carriers, for the whole first playthrough.

Or a Dark Souls where you explode everything at the edge of the screen.

I want to die, loads and loads so when I stop dying it MEANS something. Hardcore isnt that. Ive done hardcoring on D3 and it just made everyone painfully cautious of minor threats.

Up to my neck in blood and guts is where i wanna be.
Well its true.
The game is super easy as long as you abuse the balance problems that every ARPG have.
Its mentality of current playerbase - tons of noskill players. Today games dont require any skill from player, just ability to copy paste builds from forums and so on.

Mario Bros was harder to complete than most current games on market, POE included.
But its not problem of the company that produce games, its the problem of the players that want to be spoon feed and have absolutly no self-respect. They boast about achievements that are not achievements at all.

Look for example at league of legends.
The game started with just 3 ranks: bronze, silver and gold.
Most people cried that they are on bronze or even not have any ranking at all. Now almost everybody who have half of brain can have gold or platinium. They added many more ranks to just "give free achievement to everybody".

Thats what POE is aswell. All truly hard games collapse on market, because people dont want to play them. People dont like to die, dont like to loose when their skill is to low.

Companies want to just have money so they give people what people want. Maybe around 5% of community is actualy wanting truly hard game. Company wont get enough money from that so they dont invest in such games.

As long as we live in age of "Everybody is special" or "everybody is winner" we wont have games that work on "survival of the fitest".
Game is not hard, not sure who told you it is.
That was a good reply. Thanks.

I do like the foundation of this game. Its frustrating. I'm not after something crazy hardcore but the investment in time to get to even the possibility of the good highlevel stuff is too much.

And so the entro-priest Mazhan lays down his mace. An enemy too easy is unworthy of such smiting.

Peace out.
The game has a few difficulty bumps. They are hard for new players because they obviously happen when you aren't expecting it and aren't geared for it.

Act 5 Innocence Boss Fight is one of the few boss fights with mechanics that will instantly kill most new players. My first encounter I died to the boss about 29 times. It's significantly worst for melee characters because of a several mechanics that can instant kill or 2 hit kill you and cover most of the battlefield.

Act 6 is the first real buff in difficulty because of you start with -40 resistance. Not a big deal for most ppl who KNOW the game and already geared themselves up, but for new players you will instant die on the second zone of the act due to several fire damage totems. It's where most new players will quit because they don't figure out they need max resistance and suddenly the game got 100x harder.

Merc Lab, again not a hard fight if you know everything, but 3rd/Final Izaro fight has traps in it. So while your dodging his big attacks you have to avoid traps. And he can teleport you on top of the traps in the room you fight him in. If you get stuck on a bad trap or get hit with his grand slam its over for you.

Act 10 Kitava boss fight will annihilate almost all range characters, which is why you'll see signs for 'PLZ CARRY KITAVA' or general whining about the boss being too hard. This is cuz Kitava has a wide area damage that covers almost the entire arena that kills most ppl who are in a bad position which is like 99% of the battle arena and a few other mechanics that force range characters into melee, where they get demolished.

After you finish all the acts you start on maps and Uber Labyrinth.

Uber Izaro is about the same as Merc Izaro except he hits harder. So, unless your a tank, you tend to instant die to his grand slam if it ever touches you. Otherwise, cake walk.

As for maps. It's easy again till you start hitting Tier 10 maps. At which point if you DO not know how to calculate damage/aren't following a build that already has good damage 200,000+. You cannot proceed farther. You just can't. Boss's have too much hp. And some will regen faster then you can kill them.

This is where ALL newbie builds will fail. Where a newb might be able to get away with a subpar build up till now, Tier 10 Maps are pretty much the cut off for the new player unless they know the mechanics of the game. Things do too much damage. Have too much health. And end game boss's have like 10-29 million HP. You can't do those on 10k worth of damage.

Then you get a few maps that are just undouble for some builds. You have to add mod's to your maps and if you get several bad mods in a row. Your build just can't do it.

Example. No Mana or HP Regeneration, No Leech, 98% increase elemental damage, 60% Crit Multiplier, 300% Crit Chance, Cursed with Vulnerability, Hexproof, Reflect Physical and Elemental Damage etc...You get a combination of these mods and some builds just can't work.

Uber Atzari map is also a pain for new players because its an mechanic's based fight. So you have to know what to do or you'll instant die.

And Grand Master's Hall is practically undouable for many builds because of some GrandMaster's instant killing you or just being immune to w/e damage your trying to do to them.
Thank you for this detail, with it I may convince my group to proceed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info