This game is having a bad time

I've been playing the game since 2011. It's my favourite modern action RPG. But this latest patch is really making me feel bad.

Essentially my problem is with Izaro(3rd) and Kitava. When I got to act10 and tried to fight them, the jump in difficulty was so massive that it made me feel like there's no way to make a build that works against them. If there is no way to make a build that works, then suddenly playing through the game is no fun anymore. Now keep in mind that when I fought Izaro, I did it with a character that never died until he reached act10. The jump from regular playing of the game to the boss room is just crazy. And it's not fun.

The previous patch had bullshit difficulty bosses too, I'm sure. But they never were a problem for me. I never fought merciless Malachai. I heard rumblings he was rough, so instead of fighting him right away, I went and tried doing some maps, which was fun to do and let my character keep progressing. Now however, when you get to act10, there's no alternative way to progress. Only things you can do is fight Kitava or do merciless labyrinth, and those are both in the bullshit difficulty tier.

I guess what I'm saying here is: lets keep the progression through the game a little smoother, and keep the bullshit difficulty fights optional. Players who want to do them faster can do them earlier, and players who are scared(me) can grind away in maps to build some courage.

TOTALLY OPTIONAL PERSONAL OPINION TIME:
Maybe remove all the support gems which add more damage? They don't change how the skills work in any way, but they add so much damage, that using different gems is shooting yourself in the foot.

Thanks for readin'
Last bumped on Sep 25, 2017, 4:26:54 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I dont want to sound like a dick, but I probably will.

I dont see how izaro poses any problems if youve been playing the game for a while.
even the uber izaro is fairly trivial once you get going.

kitava is more understandable, but it's a fight that likely you need to learn if you dont have defenses/deeps.

but izaro ? Im fairly sure just using enfeeble, stibnite and basalt flasks should get you through him as long as you can evade (ie, no US)
Izaro's not really a mandatory boss so I don't have as much problem with his difficulty. I guess I'm more upset with him because I tried doing him with 3140 life at level 70 and promptly died on stage 2. I guess the fact that he has all these annoyance mechanics also contributes to my grievance.

You know, when I look at a flask and it says "15% damage reduction", I don't really feel that's gonna help at all against a boss who can remove 1/2 of my life with a normal melee attack, and 95% of my life with a special ranged attack. Reduce 95% by 15%, that's still gonna be like 75% of my life if I get hit. I guess now that you have told me that those flasks are actually useful, I'll be sure to try them.

I was playing a Templar most recently so I can't really evade. I guess that's why the stibnite flask didn't seem appealing to me.

I guess a problem in general that I have is I use mostly life flasks because I can't recover health in other ways. Leech seems totally ineffective. It seems effective for a lot of people at end game but when you're simply playing through the game it might as well not exist. For my next character I'll play warlords mark aura and see how it feels.
"
MagpieMcGraw wrote:
Izaro's not really a mandatory boss so I don't have as much problem with his difficulty. I guess I'm more upset with him because I tried doing him with 3140 life at level 70 and promptly died on stage 2. I guess the fact that he has all these annoyance mechanics also contributes to my grievance.

You know, when I look at a flask and it says "15% damage reduction", I don't really feel that's gonna help at all against a boss who can remove 1/2 of my life with a normal melee attack, and 95% of my life with a special ranged attack. Reduce 95% by 15%, that's still gonna be like 75% of my life if I get hit. I guess now that you have told me that those flasks are actually useful, I'll be sure to try them.

I was playing a Templar most recently so I can't really evade. I guess that's why the stibnite flask didn't seem appealing to me.

I guess a problem in general that I have is I use mostly life flasks because I can't recover health in other ways. Leech seems totally ineffective. It seems effective for a lot of people at end game but when you're simply playing through the game it might as well not exist. For my next character I'll play warlords mark aura and see how it feels.
izaro's accuracy isnt that great. you add blind and enfeeble/have some evasion and he will hit you rarely, and when he does enfeeble + basalt should protect you from one shot.

obviously flasks have an uptime so you do need some decent dps too, but izaro is only dangerous when you're underleveled.

did you do merc izaro at 70 or uber ? if its uber, then youre likely underleveled and undergeared. merc should be around the right level but you might need a bit more of a pool/better gear. and obviously if he gives you trouble, you try not to buff him, ever
Last edited by grepman on Sep 22, 2017, 2:04:46 PM
the last stages of the regular game got too easy, yep.

for me it was the sin fight, nothing in the levels before prepared you for the massive damage spike.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
MagpieMcGraw wrote:

do not take this as an insult please, but: if i check a player's profile and see that he uses more than 1 life flask then i know he is a new player who is 'not there yet' with game understanding

it works like this: you need many life flasks because you take lots of damage. maybe try this: use flasks that PREVENT the damage: granite, basalt, jade, stibnite (or their unique counterparts). roll flasks well, think what you need and roll it.

flasks are THE most important items you can use. bad flask setup makes character 10 times weaker

for the Izaro as well - if you are using Cast when Damage Taken + Immortal Call: remove this garbage and take Enduring Cry and keep up your 3 endurance charges up all the time

pick good pantheon, pick it carefully. some of the pantheons are VERY strong and 2 major and some minor powers protect you from phys damage.

Izaro - when prepared - is a breeze. and Izaro is a FAIR boss. there are no BS mechanics, no gfx vomit that obscures the screen, no unfair 'surprises'. it is just a boss that tests you and your character in few basic areas: movement, defences, patience

youll manage, just be more prepared next time
"
sidtherat wrote:

do not take this as an insult please, but: if i check a player's profile and see that he uses more than 1 life flask then i know he is a new player who is 'not there yet' with game understanding
this is a pretty bad generalization, sid.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info