People take this game way to seriously...

The way you described it sounds like you cherry picked some douchey comments and decided to bitch about it. There are negative people in every community, what is your point?
cherry picking a cherry tree. He would have to look for the raspberries instead. Tangerines are pretty good too.
rawr. fear me.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've decided what I find fun isn't even vaguely interesting to anyone else. I used to run a few quirky-build threads on here, and they weren't shot down then because it'd be like a bully in a playground. But as the years wind on, fewer and fewer people do the quirky stuff because the game has become less and less accommodating towards it earlier and earlier on.

See, you can say 'people take this game way too seriously', but then I see you imply that t12 maps is some sort of acceptable plateau -- to me, that is still taking the *way too seriously*. Shit, if one of my quirky builds can finish core game I'm pretty happy.

But as noted above, this isn't really about people as individuals. It's about the collective in a space where it's safe if not encouraged to heckle and harangue anyone doing things differently. In their defence, they make no pretences at being open-minded or accepting.

It takes a LOT of pretending to dismiss that sort of community because you know it's there, always there, but it adds nothing to my PoE experience and almost certainly makes it worse. So...they might as well not exist, really.

My comment wasn't to imply that a build is only cool if it is T12 capable. I was actually saying how it just adds to the coolness of the build that it was even viable up to that level of play.

Back when we had dried lake (feelsbadman) I used to make builds specifically tailored to only dried lake farming and enjoyed the hell out of them.

Just adding some context to my comment.
"
golan4840 wrote:
The way you described it sounds like you cherry picked some douchey comments and decided to bitch about it. There are negative people in every community, what is your point?

Not all communities are the same. The gaming community is exceptionally toxic. That's the reason it was so easy for the hateful extremists to target, corrupt, and radicalize so many gamers in recent years. They were the easiest targets you could possibly find. The gaming community is worse now than ever. It takes no effort whatsoever to go the POE subreddit and find dozens of horrible posts from horrible people, often with plenty of upvotes.

Sure, there are negative people in every community. Go have a look at the regulars in r/vegan and compare them to the regulars in r/pathofexile, though. The difference is stark. The average gamer is significantly more likely to suck than the average member of most other groups.
I would support that "angsty teenager" statement (since, you know, a lot of them have tons of free time, have difficulties handling their emotions, and have internet) if only I didn't see enough "adults" who act on the level or worse than your typical teenagers (labeling people is stupid BTW).

There are also these type of people who have terrible attention span, yet who like to assume things. On the internet, it usually translates to "didn't read, but I totally know what you wanted to say". I made some videos in the past, and sometimes people would miss info that was displayed in GIANT LETTERS for some time in the video itself, and ask questions about it.

Some games attract toxis crowds more than others, and I woulnd't say that PoE is the worst offender. DS3 community, for instance, seems much worse. Good thing it is a mostly single player game.
"
I was perusing reddit (I know my mistake) and someone posted an interesting build using Ul-Netol's two-handed weapon that pretty much nobody uses.

It as a bone nova ignite prolif thing and it actually looked pretty cool. It wasn't going to clear shaper or corrupted guardians or any crazy endgame shit...but looked like it could easily handle up to T12's where a lot of people farm anyway.

Anyway I was reading some of the posts and so many people just started attacking the topic creator because they put a bunch of words in the OP's mouth and started bashing him on "Oh this isn't some kind of new meta destoryer stfu".

Like wtf is wrong with people? Are there really that many angsty teenagers that play this game that they can't even let people have fun and show off interesting interactions unless it's downing shaper in 2 seconds?

Funny thing is, if you post a video of downing shaper in 5 seconds you get the same assholes posting shit like "Nice balanced game GGG" or "Fucking meta trash videos as usual".

Like are POE players really this socially inept or are all communities like this?

Are there mayn angsty teenagers playing this game? Yes.
Are all POE players really this socially inept? Not all but most. If you take a look around, POE is also filled with the illusion of being a ''hardcore'' game unless you cheese the content, and the players that do are quick to tell others to ''l2p''. Look how many abuse vaal pact/ancestral warchief/RF then others to ''l2p'' when they are themselves using an autistic build. In game you honestly only have a couple of pros such as as mathil, the rest are a bunch of wannabe scrubs that like to circle-jerk each other and pretend they are pros.

Using an instant-logout macro? It's cheesy yet people still do it and then pretend it doesn't help much.

Economy-wise? GGG created an economy that favors price fixers instead of new players/rest of the players.

Basically there are problems on both side, with the players and with the game system itself.
This game has seriously devolved socially over the past 3-4 leagues. People are so insanely toxic and aggressive for no reason I have noticed. Even simple things like asking for a 15c item to be 13c people explode, hate-filled rants and cuss excessively. People take the game too seriously, and lack social skills. Its pretty sad now, POE used to have such a nice community.
If you ask me, your first problem is listening to anything from the reddit communities. They tend to follow in line with each other and in this they often stab things they see as non-conforming.

Its not just PoE, other game communities on reddit have this same issue that I have seen.
A lot of game communities are like that, actually. It's quite easy to ignore people until they start to influence your gameplay. Angsty people on reddit who have a hard time growing up and accepting other people - easy to ignore. People who fix prices and ruin your chances of trading and doing anything you want in the game - hard to ignore.

My simple and short advice would be to find the builds you want to play and play them, chat to the creators of the build and I'm 100% certain they will gladly message you back about it. And find a nice guild of like-minded people, who don't just play the game for Shaper-melting builds :)

I've been playing this league very differently than others - I'm trying several different builds instead of going all out for just one, I'm taking things slow, nice and easy, and I just chat and help people. I've found that really enjoyable. But it's different for every player, so I hope you'll find what interests you mate :)
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
"
Like are POE players really this socially inept or are all communities like this?

the world is like that, check youtube comments
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info