Making Concept Art and Overcoming Creativity Blocks - George Lovesy

I can't be the only one that notice...George is amazing at making female stuff.
Garukh armor looks amazing and probably best looking boss/character in game if you ask me lolz. I replayed whole game since 3.0 came like 15 times and rush everything but dayum I a'int rushing at Grukhan. Taking my time with her :'DDD
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pretty nice blogpost.
I think the thing your concept artist does really well is good silhouette design.
Given that path of exile is a topdown isometric type game, in my opinion a huuge amount of character being unique an recognizable hinges on your choice of a good head/helmet design, followed by the shoulder area decoration near the head, followed by the idle pose/combat stance to complete the silhouette. Some examples being:

-Dominus is bald (secondary unique detail: also has a bluish skin color)

-Piety has a unique hat shape and the covering of the eyes and exposing the lower half of the face is completely different compared to anything the player can find or wear.

-garukhan's helmet shape and the rest of the armor shape motif. (i honestly didnt notice the multiple arms thing in game)

-The exile Antalie Napora being instantly recognizable the moment she comes onscreen because she wears the divine sign helmet, secondary signifiers also help such as bow wielding stance and unique pet.

For items that are not weapons, such as helmet items in inventory, I like the choice of mixing up the model orientation sometimes to create even more interesting silhouettes as 2d inventory items:
(the tempest binding callous mask being titled and not viewed head-on compared to say a starkonja's hood).

oh can we get that glowing butterflies coming out of hands as a mtx like that concept art piece? thanks :)
Lab is a chore

Delve / Harbinger / Incursion / Delirium best leagues.
Last edited by Ruby_Lux on Sep 20, 2017, 1:55:44 AM
Kind of wish some of the creatively was used for Kitava and act 10, but sadly not.
I guess you just ran into a creative block there.
thanks for the very interesting insights.

"

In Path of Exile there is a sense of realism and fantasy, which means a mix of broad and iconic art is asked for. However, if you were working on a mobile or platform game, it's likely that you would predominantly use iconic design and focus on simplified shapes, themes and colours.

well yes. that's designing for xbox and pc at the same time has ever been seen problematic by players.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Beautiful art work! Thank you for letting us delve into your world GGG, it is much appreciated. LOUIE!!!!!!!
The LORD will march forth like a mighty Warrior, He will come out like a warrior, full of fury. He will shout his battle cry and crush all his enemies.
another topic for GGG making "more" money

why dont you just make a major update that does not require so much work ?

1. When u die u get a death log ( cause - dmg etc )
2. Change the buffs / debuffs bar( scale it and put it near your hp bar )

these few things will make 100 times greater impact on the game , instead of new visuals etc...

I am seeing these Crazy Cool looking art and then I ask my self what did Chris give this guy to smoke/eat that he created the freaking AWFULL looking Harbinger art. xD
I live for the day when all the Unique Items will have in-game 3D Art that looks exactly like the inventory. I hate seeing items looking awesome and not living up to the photos in-game.
Stay awhile... and listen.
Interesting insight
a steam-electric-punk act would be nice, that futuristic armourset with the fly wings looks awesome. and there are a bunch of steam-punk, electric-punk themed stuff in the game already, if you expand it a bit, and create areas, mobs, skills, etc. that look futuristic, it would be awesome :D
Last edited by Fracture333 on Sep 20, 2017, 7:02:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info