And the point of having 75/75 block...

"
Gubert wrote:
"
Jennik wrote:
Anyone with a reasonable understanding of basic math can instantly see the massive flaw in random defenses like block and dodge. I'll give an example for those who aren't so good at math:

YOU: 6k life, 75% dodge or block
ENEMY: 2K damage attack

You get attacked three times in a row.

Attack 1: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed
Attack 2: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed
Attack 3: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed

YOU: DED

*snip*

All it takes is one of those common unlucky runs against the wrong boss or one failed roll against the nearly infinite one shots in the game now to land you in standard.

Did this guy just use an example with 2k damage?? LOL

Ok let me use a better example

Mob: 8k damage

Attack 1: 25% chance to block failed

ded

If you'd continued reading, you'd see that I also mentioned one shots at the end. It appears posts can contain multiple examples. Shocking, I know, but that's the crazy world we live in!
"
Jojenmaihem wrote:
... when the mobs can still bypassing the block like you have 5% and still killing you in seconds (because Armor here don't work even with 12k/80% red. phy)

80% from character stats is "vs average white mob at your level" or sth like that.

"
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armour

Old (2.0) armour calculator
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eh7eo4i5ETqh9Y5hUZ4Ox0paNwj2lFoDgBWf_cDndH8/edit#gid=771500464
It may be outdated, but general idea about armour, big/small hits, flasks and endurance charges is the same.
"

From this I learned that shields are probably best used for a stat-stick and not a reliable source of mitigation. Now I just use shields for 100 or more hp and 100 combined resists if I can get it. The block being an inconsequential stat most of the time.

I wouldnt presume that whatever character you created here provided you with a complete understanding of block and defenses from shields, their potential and how they can factor in to surviving. Given that people are taking shield block melee builds to level 100 in hardcore temp leagues its highly likely you were just making massive mistakes with how you were setting up your character overall.
"
Nephalim wrote:

I'm suggesting that for the purpose of maximizing gains (exp and loot per hour) a max block build that actually invests in block nodes or block based gear is going to fall far behind builds that do not.

I'm also suggesting that end game maps could not care less about max block because it only takes some rng to burst you down no matter how much sudo ehp you have and if you investment into actual hard mitigation then your clear speed and damage will suffer and defeat the purpose of maximizing exp and loot per hour.

People who use one time kills on shaper/uber/guardians as benchmarks are idiots. It does not matter you were able to guardian once deathless, it matters how often you can do it deathless over the course of 100 runs.

For the most part, shaper/uber atziri are pointless as only a small portion of the population will actually do them long enough for it to be profitable. Most people who ask "can this build do shaper" will likely do it a few times and never again.

Despite the fact that you probably are an arrogant a...hole (calling people you don't know and who did nothing wrong to you idiots) you might have some points here.

But you completely seem to ignore the purpose of the original poster or the intentions of 95% of the POE player base. Not everyone wants to be a no-life shaped <insert brainless map here> chaining "pro". Most people want to beat the content once, and then farm different maps from time to time, while feeling safe. And for that purpose, block is not only a feasible, but one of the easiest and best options. Especially when combined with other defence layers (high HP, Endu-Charges, Crit-Damage reduction, maybe Freeze, etc.). And the damage is still high enough for all purposes.

And yes, if you go for maximizing loot and exp per hour, there might be better builds out there, no doubt about that. But the maximization you might think of is unnecessary for 95% of the POE player base. And the other ones already know what you are preaching...
Block is okay but spell block is great.
"
krenderke wrote:
"
Gubert wrote:

Did this guy just use an example with 2k damage?? LOL

Mob: 8k damage

Attack 1: 25% chance to block failed

ded

Did this guy just use an example with 8k damage?? LOL

Rogue exile + offscreen detonate dead.

Not measurable amount of not blockable secondary damage, one thing is sure, you are dead with maxblock builds.

Can't Detonate Dead be spell blocked?
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
Detonate dead is secondary dmg, so nop, same for EA explosions.
"
krenderke wrote:

Thanks Krender
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
"
krenderke wrote:

I've been testing detonate dead with bameth and strongboxes trying to understand it's relation with spell dodge. My harbinger juggernaut has 39% spell dodge with flasks and procs up and compared to my standard juggernaut with only 10% spell dodge when buffed the output becomes completely trivial. Bameth can still kill the shit out of me with a vaal cyclone corpse stack on my standard jugg but my harbinger spell dodge focused jugg can barely be scratched even though they otherwise have nearly identical stats. Is there a substantial difference between how spell dodge and spell block handles detonate dead?
Last edited by Astealoth on Sep 22, 2017, 10:41:29 AM
There shouldn't be any difference I know of, spell dodge does nothing either against DD.

Mapmods like inc dmg as x element, inc aoe, -maxres, increased monster life, the level of the map and the type of monsters detonated determine how much dmg it deals to you.

DD deals the corpse's 4% maxhp as fire dmg, on a level 80 map the avg monster life is 2times higher, than on a level 70 map, so you see how absurd the scaling can be, especially if you pair it with other mapmods.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info