And the point of having 75/75 block...

My 78/78 with the surrender is pretty happy.

Just gotta avoid those one shots except that I can afk in high dmg maps no bother.
12k armour is really bad, did you try to just rely on block and that's it?
Perception is reality.
"
Jojenmaihem wrote:
... when the mobs can still bypassing the block like you have 5% and still killing you in seconds (because Armor here don't work even with 12k/80% red. phy)

Is truly a fun game experience... we are entitled to make only meta builds nobrain like DP?

There will always be end game boss attacks that can 1 shot you. Always. It's like that on purpose. However those attacks are telegraphed. You are supposed to learn them and avoid getting hit by them.

Max block with high armor works great against everything else.
"
Nephalim wrote:
Block is worthless and overnerfed mechanic in a game where things hit you for thousands of burst damage.

Is this a serious post? Have you ever done a block build?
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Block is worthless and overnerfed mechanic in a game where things hit you for thousands of burst damage.

Is this a serious post? Have you ever done a block build?

Have you ever taken a character to level 100 via T15/T16 maps?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I farmed a good bit of chimeras as a max block glad last league. I think I had 20kish armor and taste of hate for phys reduction. The boss would peg me for like 1k dmg every now and then. I had good chaos resist too so the snake adds didn't do much either. It was pretty tanky over all.

EDIT:

Also, red nightmare gem socketed in the marauder area gives like 13% block I think. You have to spend some points on resist that you would otherwise not spend but it still saves points in the long run imo.
Last edited by Mastodon2090 on Sep 19, 2017, 1:27:01 AM
"
chedrich wrote:
"
Jojenmaihem wrote:
... when the mobs can still bypassing the block like you have 5% and still killing you in seconds (because Armor here don't work even with 12k/80% red. phy)

Is truly a fun game experience... we are entitled to make only meta builds nobrain like DP?

/edit:

Sorry, I thought you referred to your lvl 81 Gladiator...

The lvl 83 BOR char seems pretty solid... (although the char doesn't seem to have a chance to reach 12k armour) so it might simply have been combination of bad things which happened.

Nevertheless: 75% block chance means, every 4th attack and spell is going to hit you. That means, you are not perfectly safe, not even with 78% block and spell block. You still need a solid life pool and some other defence layers (life, evasion, etc).

The L83 Gladiator has under 4k life (104% inc life from tree) and none of its resistances are capped (9%cold, 23% lightning, 67% fire)...
"
chedrich wrote:
"
Jojenmaihem wrote:

/edit:

Sorry, I thought you referred to your lvl 81 Gladiator...

The lvl 83 BOR char seems pretty solid... (although the char doesn't seem to have a chance to reach 12k armour) so it might simply have been combination of bad things which happened.

Nevertheless: 75% block chance means, every 4th attack and spell is going to hit you. That means, you are not perfectly safe, not even with 78% block and spell block. You still need a solid life pool and some other defence layers (life, evasion, etc).

The BoR one is my first attempt in block gladiator (Legacy League because got that BoR and the Anvil) now i'm with the other one (made some changes to get more life) even so (Commissar_Spartakus if anyone want to see it) that all "defensive" mechanics are fucking broken beyond use because the devs don't balace is very frustrating.

Want to steamroll the game? Vaal Pact... even VP can be negated with lots of mob density (oh wait! we don't have density in maps anymore)

I'm whining? Yeah because I wasted 81 levels in another character for nothing.

Seeking help? Up to you... but if you come with "Put VP" or "Spend 30ex in equipment" then no.

No this build isn't a Jack of Trades. I made it to do maps and farm UberLab, already I know can't steamroll all the content with how the game is right now (x2 HP bosses, oneshoots, defensive mechanics broken)
[quote="Orbaal"][b][u]This is a PvE game, not PvP.[/u][/b][/quote]
Last edited by Jojenmaihem on Sep 19, 2017, 1:46:21 AM
Anyone with a reasonable understanding of basic math can instantly see the massive flaw in random defenses like block and dodge. I'll give an example for those who aren't so good at math:

YOU: 6k life, 75% dodge or block
ENEMY: 2K damage attack

You get attacked three times in a row.

Attack 1: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed
Attack 2: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed
Attack 3: 25% chance to avoid damage: failed

YOU: DED

In that situation, you have a 1/64 chance of all three attacks getting past your defenses. Considering how often you're attacked, you have tons of 1/64 chances every day. Even the much longer odds, like failing to block five times in a row, happen all the time.

Dodge and block are reasonably solid defenses. Eventually they're going to crap out on you, though. They're both mechanics that require a ton of investment, but which essentially disappear completely at unpredictable times. They're unreliable.

The safe defenses are ones like armour, evasion, and stacking massive life/ES numbers with leech. They're flawed, but consistent. Even if what it does isn't the greatest, armour's always to work the exact same way. 33% evasion will evade 10 attacks out of 30 (and things that would change that, like monster and map mods, are knowable).

In SC, dodge and block are pretty good. I wouldn't recommend them for HC, though. All it takes is one of those common unlucky runs against the wrong boss or one failed roll against the nearly infinite one shots in the game now to land you in standard.
Heres the funny / sad part of playing a block character.

You invest your entire character into 1 form of defense... then 1 single map mod makes it all worthless.
You lose like half of your block chance, and armor.

It's the same for dodge and evasion.

yet, its not the same for ES / Life.
so its no wonder every build focuses on extremely high life pools as thier only real defense, because its never taken away from you, like armor/block/evasion/dodge are.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info