PoE players number dropping like a brick on Steam

"
KOrchann wrote:
What is this steam every1 talks about? It is some sort ancient device??

I heard it is a spyware.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
how dare they autocomplete the new lvl44 act5 content for my lvl95 200k dps red map chainers

LOL.

It was a messy situation and like I said, there was no clean way to do it. I genuinely think anyone that interested in experiencing the new content/story should start over, since it was a full ten act overhaul. This just wasn't an expansion for endgame, and it's sort of sad watching some people failing to grasp that. As though 'expansion' is somehow synonymous for 'more end-game shit', and to be fair a good 80% of the time that's exactly what it is. Especially in online-only games, where everyone's been grinding their little hearts away and just want more things to do with their 'lvl95 200k dps red map chainers'.

Don't worry, friends. I'm sure GGG will be back to their regular scheduled end-game pandering next time. How dare they not do that this time!?

Lol. Snorkle was being sarcastic. xD

I think GGG did well in auto completing act5-act10 to standard and hardcore characters that were already in maps.
"
krenderke wrote:
"
KOrchann wrote:
What is this steam every1 talks about? It is some sort ancient device??

I heard it is a spyware.

Ohh.. ok, I'm staying away from that than;)
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
"
general2906 wrote:
That's what happens when:

1. ... You publish recycled content while advertising "six new acts"
2. ... All the quests from the only actually new content (Act 5) are auto-completed (LOL!!??)
3. ... Your new league and new economy are kinda... sad (SHARDS!!??)
4. ... You fail properly optimize your game after so many years
5. ... You believe that console port will save your game.

It has been extremely fun for a few years though. I guess all good things must come to an end. Cant help but feeling kinda... cheated by GGG.

The steam numbers are bricking for completely different reasons but lets look at yours a little more closely.

1. ... I have to disagree with you here, they promised us one new act and then delivered six. Anyone who thought that they wouldn't have some recycled content frankly needs to come back to reality. Playing through pre-maps was so much more enjoyable then the previous normal/cruel/merciless. People set there own hopes too high for this new content knowing full well for most people it would only be new for the first day or two.

2. ... They half-assed this just like they do just about everything that isn't the main focus. They have really great ideas and those usually turn out great, unfortunately everything that is affected by those changes gets treated like an afterthought leaving big holes in the game.

3. ... Yep new league sucked, still sucks after they changed it. My guess is they didn't really put much effort into this one. See #2, that being said the league accompanying a major expansion usually is a little less exciting.

4. ... They can't fix it. They can keep throwing bandages on it, but it's clear they need to start over. I can understand why they wouldn't want to risk a poe 2 with poe 1 still going so well, but this problem won't ever be fixed in poe 1.

5. ... I don't think they ever thought that, to me it looks like they were trying to use poe's popularity to do a cash grab for xbox. I would feel sorry for the xbox people at this point but meh.

So in conclusion, most of your points are valid, but that's not why we see the numbers dropping on steam. It didn't take this long for people to get bored of the new content/league, that set in like week 1. Poe is just type of game that peaks and then drops, pretty sure that is intentional. Once you buy that supporter package, they don't care if you play 8 hours or 0. I suspect that they have less servers now then at launch, in expectation of the games cyclical nature.

The game is great, but it has plenty of faults. If the faults are too much then move on, but even if you don't come back plenty will. Could they do better? Yeah. but they are too busy rolling out new shit to look back and frankly it seems like most of the community likes it that way.
People need to give up on posts like this... let them fail.
Thanks for the laugh OP. I needed one.
Another "PoE is dying" thread.

But anyway, I think they should take advantage of the wave of new players to do race events to retain players.
Last edited by FedeS on Sep 17, 2017, 9:27:14 AM
Let's be real. 3.0 was a cash grab for new players with little or no thought put into actually making the end game - which most players spend 98% of their time in, any better than it was in 2.6.

Why put so much money and time into content players will spend barely 10 hours on and as a result have awful retention past the first 3 weeks because the league sucks and end game is still the same as it was 6 months ago.

Who still is excited or cares about the 6 rubbish acts they added most of which were directly copy pasted from existing maps - oasis is the worst offender here. Where is the build diversity after they removed ES from the game? Where is the meaningful gameplay that did not already exist in 2.6? Where are those performance enhancements people have been waiting for years for? People should treat 3.0 like they treated GGG's ridiculous attempt to nerf power charges and specialize frenzy charges to attacks only.

Content aside, performance has never been worse for me. They undid half a year of optimizations for water and lighting effects no one asked for. It blows my mind how little 3.0 added for player like myself.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Sep 17, 2017, 9:22:42 AM
I don't care about the number of players, i care about the right one staying. And even that become hard ...

The right one " definition ": Friendlist

Just to avoid confusion
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Sep 17, 2017, 11:14:01 AM
Ah, threads like these are always fun. Don't mind me, I'll just stay here and watch the OP self-destruct even more than he/she/apache attack helicopter already did while eating popcorn.

To say something on the topic at the very least: This game has had cycles of rising and dropping player numbers as long as I can remember. That's due to the nature of the challenge leagues and the way most people tend to play games.
Also, don't try to argue against charan. Internet or not, there is such a thing as winning or losing in an argument. And I doubt any of us could win in one against charan as long as the topic is related to background information about this game. Seriously, just... don't.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info