Divinity: Original Sin II

"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I never played long enough to test whether the game was actually challenging with a traditional RPG party like Warrior + Rogue + Healer + Mage.
I went with 2 mains being rogue and tank with a bit of fire magic, got Jahan the water mage(also healer), and recruited generic earth mage from whoever sold henchmen. Only fight I had to think about was the boss of act1, and only because of his cheesy scripted "mega fireballs in all your faces before battle even begins" dick move. Other than that, pretty much facerolled everything including final boss.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Protip: if you're not playing with the pet pals skill you're doing it wrong.
"
j33bus wrote:
Protip: if you're not playing with the pet pals skill you're doing it wrong.
I haven't touched OS2 yet, but in OS1 the ideal party was:
1. Non-combat skill dump character so you don't miss out on any content. Probably archer because that archetype is low investment and limited supply of special arrows grants temporary mage powers.
2. Spellcaster 1, hybrid tank
3. Spellcaster 2, small amount non-combat skills
4. Dedicated tank
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I thought Divinity OS was shit. Too much text in the game. It was nothing but wall after wall of banality... If I wanted to read a fucking book, I'd read a book. I play games because its more interesting than reading books. I don't have the attention span for reading all the banality.

Pillars of Eternity is better... The dialogue was less, and more interesting.

I was being serious. Divinity OS was the most uninspiring, overrated game I've played in quite a few years. And I'm a fan of most of the old D&D games. Baldur's Gate, NWN, Icewind Dale, etc. Pillars of Eternity is closer to those games than Divinity is.

I remember in Baldur's Gate II, you needed a pretty diverse party composition to deal with all the enemy types the game would throw at you, like Vampires, Dragons, Mind Flayers, Mages, etc. Most of which required special tactics to defeat, and had really specific vulnerabilities which you might not be able to exploit with any random party composition.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Sep 18, 2017, 3:04:34 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
And I'm a fan of most of the old D&D games. Baldur's Gate, NWN, Icewind Dale, etc. Pillars of Eternity is closer to those games than Divinity is.

Pillars is actively trying to mimic those games in a modern style - D:OS is not, it's an RPG in its own style instead. Wonder why Pillars is more similar. Hm.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I remember in Baldur's Gate II, you needed a pretty diverse party composition to deal with all the enemy types the game would throw at you, like Vampires, Dragons, Mind Flayers, Mages, etc. Most of which required special tactics to defeat, and had really specific vulnerabilities which you might not be able to exploit with any random party composition.
Dude, please. Vanilla BG2 is impossible to not complete - optional bosses aside - with literally any kind of party. Maybe you were talking about BG2 with Weimer's Tactics/SCS/SCS2?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:

Dude, please. Vanilla BG2 is impossible to not complete - optional bosses aside - with literally any kind of party. Maybe you were talking about BG2 with Weimer's Tactics/SCS/SCS2?

Divinity is easier than BG2 tho. The spell system make it very exploitable and cheesy (oil everywhere around enemy while they can t detect you + teleport them and burn them for example).

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Sep 19, 2017, 8:26:08 AM
Can't argue with that :)
"
silumit wrote:

All I remember is getting destroyed by certain enemy types, or couldn't even damage them without the right classes/weapons/spells. A lot of the better weapons were class limited, I remember a sword that was Paladin only that was really good. I remember Monk was really good, and had super high saving throws, and rarely got hit by any ill effects.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Sep 19, 2017, 11:02:18 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
A lot of the better weapons were class limited, I remember a sword that was Paladin only that was really good.
Carsomir? Nah, it sucked. Lilarcor was way better, and it also talked :D
"
couldn't even damage them without the right classes/weapons/spells
Except wizards protected by PfMW, vampires and elementals (which were really rare) I can't think of any other "immune" enemy in that game. And at least for vampires you usually were hinted at needing specific weapons.

Also, enemies were dumb AF and didn't even react as a group; except for scripted events, you could pull them one by one FFS. Also you could prebuff before like 95% of fights, enemies didn't have luxury of being able to do the same. Really, vanilla BG2 was only kinda hard if you played it for the 1st time on Core Rules and didn't know anything about it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info