The real reason why they aren't making an auction house

and my initial opinion was they don't know how to do it, they are very aware it would triple their player base in a week.
"
Sickness wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
And why was it a failure? Because people profited from it the same way they profit now from poe.trade?

The BY FAR best way to gain upgrades for 99.99% of the players is to buy them in the AH. Every piece of gear I had I got from the AH and I had no real hopes on ever finding an upgrade from a drop.* That is boring to me, I much prefer to progress by playing the actual game. They would then have to balance the game around this, or trading would completely trivialize 99% of the game.

*If I have a reasonable chance to find an upgrade for myself, then the thousands of other players also have a reasonable chance to find the same item and since people don't want exactly the same items said item will have a supply that exceeds demand making the price drop drastically.

The real problem is that pandora's box already got opened. We used to trade by chat or the forums, which Chris would still prefer players to do.

Right now, we have poe.trade which would have never existed if not for the fact that scripts were literally crawling and crashing the forums. We literally got a trade improvement out of pure necessity rather than for actual trading purposes. If it were up to Chris he'd still force everyone to use trade chat. It's too late though, and we've already gotten so close to an actual real AH that they just need to go ahead and do it.

And before people start going on about flipping/botting/etc., if GGG actually controlled the primary trading mechanic in the game (instead of how it is now), they could easily track and punish players that are doing such things. Right now you got Chinese/Russian trade bots literally manipulating everything; why GGG doesn't just bring everything in house is beyond me. People who argue for the current system actually are probably the same people who regularly scam folks.

It's also not a fucking coincidence at all that as soon as premium stash tabs went out, the population of PoE skyrocketed.
Last edited by allbusiness on Sep 17, 2017, 3:02:04 PM
i'm just waiting for someone who creates virtual middle man character and runs an automated trading software, this is how it works:

1.) download program, has database like poe.trade
2.) you submit items you want to trade and their prices to this "virtual trading middleman" (automated bot player)
3.) the list is updated, you may ask your item back and get it instantly if you want
4.) when your item is sold, the list is again updated and you can visit the virtual trader and collect your currency from him
5.) it works like blockchain
6.) the trader takes 1% trading fee

so let's say you are selling 6link belly, your software wisperes the trader player with unique message Id, this message is scanned, software on other side invites you for trade, you trade, and your item is listed, once your trade is completed you can pickup your currency from any trading player that is in this system, and the trading player takes 1% in profits.

Who ever makes this software is gonna be the next mirror guy, realistically it's just automated middle man that is doing instant trade, and the software is keeping track of inventory and trades.
Having read through the thread looks like only flippers and trolls are against the HA.

Flippers argue that market will get manipulated, but actually are worried that their own scripts won't work once the market is moved from third party to the game itself and will require more work set them up and not get caught.

Trolls complain about it getting even easier to gear up... I mean, seriously, is it a bad thing? You don't have to use the trading system, maybe go check out the SSF mode as well, should fix all your problems.

I think GGG would benefit from in-game trading system. If it's a money issue just ask for 5-10$ for each account to allow trading, I'd pay that. That would alleviate the bot issue somewhat as well.
After playing GW2 for a week or so, they got an Auction House. It's quite convenient. Everything is listed anonymously and there are no delays.

BUT

GW2 is P2W, or pay to win if you like. They allow buying ingame currency for real money, so you can basically buy everything in game per $$$. Also, it's not an auction per se, it's just market place where you set up specific price for your item.

It would be definitely convenient for currency exchanges, but it would have to block the items you listed the moment you post it. Also, it offers either instant sale since you can list your buy list or you can post the item for price you want.

Bad is that for PoE, or problems

- PoE does have different rolls on items which means that the GW2 method would not work
- rare items have different values based on different affix combinations but you can't say that some specific affix is more valuable than other (except life regen, or reflect, ffs why that even exists in the game)

So only currency AH would be something that could work in this model, and it would be something welcomed by everyone with less downsides i guess.
RMT will exist regardless.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
QuattroBones wrote:
Having read through the thread looks like only flippers and trolls are against the HA.

I'm not a flipper nor a troll.

"
QuattroBones wrote:

Trolls complain about it getting even easier to gear up... I mean, seriously, is it a bad thing?

So your position is that it's impossible to have a state where it's too easy to gear up?

"
QuattroBones wrote:

You don't have to use the trading system, maybe go check out the SSF mode as well, should fix all your problems.

No, since the gameplay and drop rates are balanced around trading you are affected even if you opt out.
"
Sickness wrote:
"
QuattroBones wrote:

I'm not a flipper nor a troll.

"
QuattroBones wrote:

Trolls complain about it getting even easier to gear up... I mean, seriously, is it a bad thing?

So your position is that it's impossible to have a state where it's too easy to gear up?

"
QuattroBones wrote:

You don't have to use the trading system, maybe go check out the SSF mode as well, should fix all your problems.

No, since the gameplay and drop rates are balanced around trading you are affected even if you opt out.

Either way, a better "trade system" is sorely needed.

It's already too easy to gear up via trading so an asynchronous trade system wouldn't be over the top in comparison to the unofficial "auction house" that poe.trade already is, except for very specific combinations of builds & items, especially for those that entice SSF play.

Gameplay and drop rates should entice skillplay and "playing" the game instead of trading, but for the moment they just entice "trading/RNG crafting". That should change regardless of implementing further improvements to the trade system.

The offline part should have it's own limitations, like a small space that has to be kept under control, a cost associated to it's use, a delay for the items to be resold under the offline system etc.

But poe.trade feels already like and AH (although it has the sole limitation of both buyer/seller being online at the same time) and most of the PoE players that trade are frank about quitting the game if it goes down without being replaced by something at least as good. That should tell you a lot about the focus regarding QoL aspects of the "trading" playerbase...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Sep 18, 2017, 1:08:31 PM
deleted, think i jumped enough on ggg lately. and they seem to completely shut up commenting on these issues anyway
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Sep 18, 2017, 5:50:53 PM
"
Marxone wrote:

It would be definitely convenient for currency exchanges, but it would have to block the items you listed the moment you post it.

Not neccessarily. In D3 and WoW, you could remove an item posted for sale at any time (if there were no bids on it), or change its price.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Marxone wrote:

It would be definitely convenient for currency exchanges, but it would have to block the items you listed the moment you post it.

Not neccessarily. In D3 and WoW, you could remove an item posted for sale at any time (if there were no bids on it), or change its price.

sure, but i would not like that. For items it's not that crucial, but for orb exchange I would prfer blocking the items for certain period, it's to avoid fluid stock in flipping mechanism.

RIght now you can list freely 1 orb for specific ratio towards multiple types of currencies, making you fluidly trade freely towards the best ratio.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info