3. Pros/Cons
4. Gear
5. Gem Links
6. Ascendancy
7. Skill Tree and Bandits
8. Leveling
9. Closing Statements

1.Intro
I created this build from the ground up in 3.0 after playing AWC and being sick of abyssus. I wanted something even safer, still with very good dps. There are some excellent inquisitor crit builds out there for flameblast totems that technically net you higher dps in the long run, but there are many reasons to go non-crit chieftain as well. I've never done a build guide before so go easy on me! Note that this build is a work in progress, but I hope I can help someone out there find a build that they enjoy. This build is very strong and has a fairly realist ceiling of 1m shaper dps with still rather low investment (330k per totem)

2. What is this build exactly?
For the newer players (this build is pretty beginner friendly), flameblast totems are a very large aoe, high damage per hit spell totem using the spell flameblast. Simply place your totems and they go to work spamming huge aoe flameblasts all over the place.

3. Pros/Cons
Pros:
-This build is so ridiculously safe as long as you can somewhat kite
-Can run all map mods (except maybe no mana regen but still can)
-Essentially Curse immune
-Totem leech + totem taunt + mind over matter = very, very tanky
-Can clear all content in the game when geared/played properly
-Flameblast is one of the most satisfying skills in the game (in my opinion)
-Incredibly cheap to get off the ground, works great for a league starter
-Does not use Tukohamas ($$$)

Cons:
-Some people don't like totems
-Chimera is specifically hard during the add phase
-Bit lower dps compared to inquisitor, still very formidable
-You will be stacking curses on yourself like crazy
-Can be a crazy time managing buffs/curses

4. Gear

Soul Mantle is the core of the build, but it is by no means necessary until later on when you really start to need the dps that it provides.
Soul Mantle interaction
We enjoy the benefits of a 7L with the spell totem link,
as well as the +1 totem which is massive.To counter the curses,kikazaru are used. Self-Flagellation unique jewel gives us a massive damage buff considering we can stack 5+ curses on us at a time, giving us upwards of 200% increased damage modifier from one jewel slot.

For the rest of the gear, we simply cap resists and look for as much life, mana regen, and damage mods as we can get.

my humble gear at this point
YOU DO NOT NEED THE CRIT CHANCE ON THE SHIELD AS IT IS A NON CRIT BUILD. I just happened to have that beauty laying around ;)

If you can't afford to cap your resistances with the uniques that are used here, use a tabula, or some other body and rings with res/life/ etc. Doryani's Catalyst is an option but honestly i got my sceptre cheaper than a doryani's and provides similar stats.

Kaom's are replaceable, I am just using them for the life. (they add a lot)

5. Gem Links

Spoiler
Body: in order of priority
Flame Blast - Faster Casting - increased aoe (conc. effect for bosses) - controlled destruction -immolate support - fire penetration

If you do not have a 6L, drop fire pen. If you are running a 5L that is not soul mantle, drop fire pen, immolate, and run spell totem support.

Helmet: Immortal call - faster casting - increased duration - arcane surge
--> This one can be a little bit weird. It is a very strange interaction. Arcane surge is procced by using IC. When you have endurance charges, it gets crazy duration buffs and your arcane surge buff can last 30 seconds or more. Note: you will have to decide what level to keep your arcane surge at. I left mine at lvl 9 so that every cast of IC with the other two supports would use enough mana to proc it.

Weapon: frenzy - faster attacks - fortify support
I use this one on boss fights when my totems are up, taunting, i have nothing better to do but use frenzy on adds for extra dps (and fortify is a nice buff too). I've thought of moving these to gloves for a 4 link with critical strikes support, but nothing is too set in stone. Move these around as you will.

Gloves: Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - less duration - enduring cry
This is really a 3 link with enduring cry shoe-horned in there. Great movement skill considering our cast speed should be fairly high. enduring cry is important to generate charges in order to keep arcane surge up longer via immortal call.

Shield: I haven't really needed anything in my shield. running a portal gem in there right now (lol). I've cleared all the content already on sub optimal gear/gems but you could totally throw in vaal haste - inc duration - (efficacy for more duration or put your enduring cry here, or vaal grace or an aura if you have enough mana/recover to keep MoM going). possibilities are endless here.

Boots: Kaom's obviously has no sockets but I've considered replacing these for something else. getting resists and move speed here would be nice obviously. If I WERE to use a 4 link setup here, I would run CwDT - molten shell - summon lightning golem - empower? or maybe increased duration.

some other things that are nice to have shoehorned in but I don't have room/ the mana doesnt allow it
-anger
-blasphemy - flammability or temp chains

6. Ascendancy
Spoiler
I run chieftain for numerous reasons. Totem leech/taunt, good dps, totems immune to ele reflect, you name it.

In order, i would allocate Tukohama, War's Herald first, then path towards Hinekora, Death's Fury

7. Passive Tree and Bandits

pastebin for path of building
https://pastebin.com/mHdB2zEC seriously get path of building if you don't have it. your tooltip dps for this build will tell you nothing.

website link
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.1/AAAABAEDAAN1BLMGDgbDCPQJ9hBYEMwRLRQgFgsXjBhdGjgaPhzcJNgnLyftKhMsnC3SMtE1kjrhPAU8LT1fPfxBh0VHRZ1G10lPTeNQR1JTU1JWSFcpVytYY1jlWfNaK15dXwRfP2ZUZp5nm2o7akNtGXGFcg9yqXsge7N8g4Kbg1-DzIUyhW2Fe4dljM-PGpBVlG-XLZf0mjua4J1jna6fPqIAo_KmV6ajpwinlKyqrfGuPrc-uX68qrzqvYLAZsT2xgTGrsbYz2fR_dR81YHVptgk2L3hc-RR6-7sOO087w7vfPAf8i_yRfZI-JP56P4K_of-j_6z?accountName=jonathan3344&characterName=AWarchieften

Bandits
Kill all.

8. Leveling
For leveling, youll have an easy time, you're a marauder :). Use sunder until you can use firestorm. Grab a flame totem when you can. Keep using sunder or use firestorm right until you can use flameblast - at level 28. Grab ancestral bond and use your flameblast totems and just fill in the rest of the tree as you go along. Shouldn't be too hard but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

9. Closing statement
Thanks for reading my only ever build guide! I hope someone has a chance to enjoy it for themselves. I'd love to hear feedback. At some point maybe I'll put up shaper/guardian footage but honestly the build gets plenty of dps wit full uptime and is super safe so obviously can beat shaper and the guardians with decent investment. Draw your own conclusions on that lol.

Last edited by jonathan3344 on Sep 14, 2017, 1:19:10 PM
Last bumped on Feb 21, 2018, 4:32:34 AM
Hey man so far I am loving the build. I am wondering why Frenzy though. I get the idea of increasing attack speed, but don't we only care about cast speed here for the totems?
Never mind I see now frenzy charges give cast speed as well.
Leveling up now! Cant wait to see what its like.
Having a blast so far. I just switched to Kaom's and lost all of my run speed. I feel like I am in slow motion now lol. Does the less duration gem really improve your lightning warp speed? Could be that my cast speed isn't up to par yet too. I just feel very slow now.
"
lokilogic wrote:
Having a blast so far. I just switched to Kaom's and lost all of my run speed. I feel like I am in slow motion now lol. Does the less duration gem really improve your lightning warp speed? Could be that my cast speed isn't up to par yet too. I just feel very slow now.

Yes dramatically! Link it and you wont look back, if you can find one with quality aswell you get more less duration!

Also lightning warp is affected by movespeed, so it is actually a good idea to get 20-30% movespeed.
Yeah I did it helps a ton, but I'm not sure where to get movement speed at unless i switch Kaoms out. I'm running lvl 10 maps now at 75 with a 5 link lvl 17 gems. Been going good except breech.
So far my fastest kitava kill. Got a soul mantle and damn, did i start plowing through.

Will probably try this again as a league starter to see how far i can progress.
Cool build, been trying out some different things than the guide suggested and pretty pleased with the result (only run up to t15/beachhead/poorjoy's etc so far though).

1) Doriyani's Catalyst -> Orb of Storms + Increased Duration + Increased Critical Strikes Support

I have 17.15% chance to crit with Orb of storms and it lasts 10.5 seconds. Put this up and it gives you almost 100% uptime of EO, which is great. The weapon itself also gives Orb of storms increased shock chance and spreads it around mobs, which is also good.

2) In my shield, I'm running Blasphemy + Enfeeble + Temporal Chains

3) In my gloves, I'm running lvl 1 CwDT + lvl 4 Ball Lightning + lvl 9 Blind Support

These 2 in combination is epic. Not only is everything around you slowed with temporal chains, they also have much weaker attacks, crits and reduced accuracy due to enfeeble. On top of this, the lvl 1 CwDT ensures that ball lightning goes off whenever most things hit you in high tier maps, and because ball lightning hits so fast, it procs the blind support very frequently on everything around you. Thus, blind support + enfeeble accuracy reduction + natural evasion chance = Attacks miss you. A lot.

So, mobs around you are slowed, weakened and have very little chance to hit you when everything procs (which is pretty much on every mob pack and very frequently on boss hits).

The only downside to this is that I can't take MoM, because with blasphemy + 2 curses, I reserve 70% mana which isn't enough to sustain totem spamming and lightning warping. However, I personally feel MUCH higher survivability with my combo than with the MoM build on both bosses and mob packs.

On the topic of Lightning Warp - you should gem it with Swift Affliction Support, in addition to Faster Casting + Reduced Duration. The swift affliction gem gives 15% less duration as well. I don't have as much cast speed as your char, and my lightning warp is still only 0.44 secs, which almost seems like instant in reality.

Disclaimer - Hexproof map mods are a bitch with this set-up though. Respec to MoM to run them and then respec back out again after.
Last edited by Dumbledot on Oct 15, 2017, 6:13:35 PM
Even though you lose spell damage and cast speed, does the gain in another totem through tukohamas shield make up for that?

I want to know whether or not to upgrade to 6link soul or go with the shield
Last edited by spruceleee on Oct 15, 2017, 8:04:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info