Depends on which defense you are talking about I guess

the Texans defense played great last night
I dont see any any key!
"
TheLockedGuy wrote:

"
Yesu wrote:
"
I'm sick and tired of trying to get any other defense to work. It seems VP is truly the only valid options. GGG sucks at balance.

I think you never tried , or you are just bad at making build tbh.

"
Your, constant nerfing of defenses stats patch, after patch.

???

As always it's not armour / evasion that are particularly bad even if they could be buffed (or mob damage nerfed or even both), it's VP which outshine them by far. While AR/EV need investment to be effective , VP need ... one fucking broken node then life/damage. Legit.

WTF. I think your ass tbh. I 100% believe your a troll at this point. And trolls get angry weather you ignore them, call them out, or even address them. So MR troll show me a build that works, and doesn't one shot the screen. You can't, and you won't be able too. As your defenses will not be able to stand up to it. I beat you can't even show me a build were you take any damage on a regular bases that works well. It doesn't exist in POE.

You either make a build that doesn't take damage. Or a build that kills everything before you take damage. So ya defenses 100% suck in this game.

I wonder who's the troll here. I think you lack some game knowledge or experience. Here is an example of a "Tank" build. Result of investment in defences, not just by using a broken node with full life/damage.

I rolled a bad t16 just for you :
Nasty Forge
Some boss fights with a damage mod :
Added Cold Hydra
Added Fire Chimera
Added Lightning Minotaur
Some slams :
Spoiler

Maze Vaal Slam with 92% added cold damage.

Last edited by Yesu on Sep 15, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
"
Yesu wrote:

I wonder who's the troll here....

What a lot of people "hate" about defenses in this game, is that when high tier maps comes along, a "tanky" build still has to dodge (most of) the same things a DPS oriented build has to. I only watched your Hydra video, and you really didn't do much "tanking".

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think that any character should be able to face tank everything in this game (MAYBE with "perfect" gear). But as it is now, a glass cannon with VP and a certain pool CAN face tank most things in this game. A character built around defenses can not. That is a flawed balance, if you ask me.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I took some barrage shots though, while i could have stayed front of her most of the time i still have the reflex of manually dodge what should be dodged, and with the frost balls the fight is not really the best for permanent facetank(unless you'r vp as always).

Yet how bad VP is for the state of the game, particularly when compared to regular defences is pretty much the purpose of multiple threads last days and months.
Last edited by Yesu on Sep 15, 2017, 1:00:25 PM
defenses are mostly fine (armour needs a buff or two but everything else is fine), its the instant leech is the outlier.

its the instant leech playstyle that lends to facetanking any content, which is absurd in this game.

catering to regular defenses, the balance is fine.

if you want to make instant leech the standard, we might as well take out all defenses in the game and establish that that mechanics dont matter because every and any build archetype should be facetanking content.

I mean I dont see how people dont see it. different defenses lend themselves to different playstyles and different strengths and weaknesses. if we institute instant leech as a baseline thing, then all content can be facetanked and mechanics dont matter.

as usual, people dont want to face the problem or do problem solving, and rather circumvent problem altogether (just like with reflect, resource management, etc etc)

peoples exposal to instant leech makes other defenses seem crap in comparison; if there was no instant leech people wouldnt have this mentality, as defenses are just fine and well balanced for the most part

just like back in the day not many complained about how the game was slow, yet now when the game is 20 times as fast, any attempt by GGG to halt the clearspeed meta is met with loud outcries.

the solution for GGG is to think 20 times before giving something very powerful to the playerbase, because after that they will be demanding everything to be on par with that. case in point: breaches
"
Yesu wrote:
I wonder who's the troll here. I think you lack some game knowledge or experience. Here is an example of a "Tank" build. Result of investment in defences, not just by using a broken node with full life/damage.

Nasty Forge
Added Cold Hydra
Added Fire Chimera
Added Lightning Minotaur
Some slams :
Spoiler

You have 8 endurance changes + grace + fortify... Yet you claim your tankie? In just your first video you you can only take about 3 basic attacks from the mobs before you almost die. And you think that's fine? You weren't even fighting a boss. I only had to watch the first minute before I started to lol. So yes you are a troll. And I am not even going to bother watching your first video all the way through let alone the rest of them.

What's the point your trying to make? That you focused on getting all these tanky things, but yet your super high DPS is still what is caring you through the map. Yep your point that you think your tanks stats are good is laughable. This build would do way better dropping most of the the tanky things you got for more damage.
"
TheLockedGuy wrote:
"
Yesu wrote:

Nasty Forge
Added Cold Hydra
Added Fire Chimera
Added Lightning Minotaur
Some slams :
Spoiler

You have 8 endurance changes + grace + fortify... Yet you claim your tankie? In just your first video you you can only take about 3 basic attacks from the mobs before you almost die. And you think that's fine? You weren't even fighting a boss. I only had to watch the first minute before I started to lol. So yes you are a troll. And I am not even going to bother watching your first video all the way through let alone the rest of them.

What's the point your trying to make? That you focused on getting all these tanky things, but yet your super high DPS is still what is caring you through the map. Yep your point that you think your tanks stats are good is laughable. This build would do way better dropping most of the the tanky things you got for more damage.

If you can't be bothered to look through and assess the person's performance in at least decent detail (and looking only at the first minute is not decent detail) then you have no business trying to criticize them.

You're the one who brought up the thread and you're the one who needs to look at people's replies then give meaningful and intelligent criticism or feedback if you want your point to be taken seriously. Simply saying "I only watched a minute and now I'm handwaving the rest of your stuff away" will simply make people feel you are the one who is worthless.
"

Your comment is a bit pathetic, you just prove yourself that you have no clue what you are talking about.
"
You can't, and you won't be able too. As your defenses will not be able to stand up to it. I beat you can't even show me a build were you take any damage on a regular bases that works well. It doesn't exist in POE.

You either make a build that doesn't take damage. Or a build that kills everything before you take damage. So ya defenses 100% suck in this game.

You ask for a build that rely on defences to survive while having an average dps (this one has ~115k with a 5l Starforge , nothing great considering the weapon and nowadays standards). I show you exactly that in a t16 map with damages mods yet you have nothing to say outside of some bullshit comments.

Won't lose my time arguing with you.
Last edited by Yesu on Sep 15, 2017, 10:50:05 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:

removing VP will make people realise that there ARE in fact ways of mitigating damage to acceptable levels. ways they ignore or are unaware of because VP is 'one-node wonder' that makes these ways pointless

ya exactly, if they just remove it then people will lose their shit and say the game is unplayable, but then they will look around and see tons of people making builds that can still do all the content easily.

Remove vp, change the atziri gloves mod to be the same as the slayers 100% leech rate + leech doesnt stop at max thingy, everything will be fine. I never use vp on life builds and I dont have any problems playing any attack build I want to play. Ele reflect may need reworked because some ele casters just cant even think about pulling the trigger without instant leech, but thats a small price to pay for ridding the game of this nonsense.
The problem with armour is that you need a lot to make a difference when it counts, which is for the big hits that can 1-shot you.

Evasion has the same issue, you are going to get 1-shot eventually even if you have 90% chance to evade.

What's the solution right now? Life, or ES.

Buff up your life so high or your ES so high that you don't get 1-shot and instaleech all of that life back.

I have a char right now that has ~50k armour with flasks up, but I'm also running determination. Definitely not a viable pathway for all builds.

The funny thing is, even with 6k life, 50k armour, 6 endurance charges, fortify, arctic armour, and enfeeble, I get 1-shot still when I try to run against harder map mods like more damage + crit chance/multi. So what, I should just not run those mods at all? Eh.

With that said, having 50k armour is significant. When you're not up against difficult mods, you barely take any damage, and that's the problem I see with armour. It has exponential decay/diminishing returns so the way it's currently modeled is that when it works, it works REALLY well, borderline overpowered, but when it doesn't work, it's pretty bad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info