"An unexpected disconnection occurred"

After about twenty seconds whenever I log into my game I get kicked back to the main menu and receive the message "an unexpected disconnection occurred." I was able to play the game fine for the first few days since I downloaded it but ever since the 24th I've been getting this issue and haven't been able to play since.

I've noticed when I first start the game after starting up my computer I can see my character profiles but after I get kicked back to the main menu for the first time and log back in my character profiles disappear. If I try to create a new character I'll be kicked back to the main menu immediately after it says "contacting server" and receive the same error message. As far as I can tell there must be some sort of issue on my end. I've tried turning off anti-virus/firewall programs, opening ports, changing gateways to Europe/Singapore, and restarting my internet multiple times but nothing seems to solve the problem. I have no issues with my router or connecting in other games.

My client log lists the following:
2013/02/26 12:08:41 ***** LOG FILE OPENING *****
2013/02/26 12:08:41 1413571 107 [INFO Client 5456] Send protocol version
2013/02/26 12:08:41 1413603 16b [INFO Client 5456] Web root: http://patchcdn.pathofexile.com/0.10.1.8/
2013/02/26 12:08:41 1413603 16c [INFO Client 5456] Backup Web root: http://patch203.pathofexile.com:8095/patch/0.10.1.8/
2013/02/26 12:08:41 1413603 177 [INFO Client 5456] Requesting root contents 1
2013/02/26 12:08:41 1413634 19f [INFO Client 5456] Got file list for "" 0
2013/02/26 12:08:42 1413930 1fc [INFO Client 5456] Finished checking files

Anyone run into anything similar? Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Does it happen with all your characters? Does this happen too when you try to make a new character and try to log in with that character?
Don't read my signature!
Last edited by Sumurai8 on Feb 26, 2013, 2:12:59 PM
I am having this also, today only it seems.

Two lv 50+ characters are what I have tested, and I can only stay in game 1-2 minutes max this morning. Changing zones, grouping, etc doesn't help. I can zone into another zone (thinking it was a disco limited to town) and still, I drop.

ISP in this case in Verizon, west coast (California) either the ISP is jacked today or something on GGG side is causing this for some players and not others.

Anybody have the IP for the server on hand?
Last edited by Shadowwulf1 on Feb 26, 2013, 2:08:44 PM
"
Shadowwulf1 wrote:
I am having this also, today only it seems.

Two lv 50+ characters are what I have tested, and I can only stay in game 1-2 minutes max this morning. Changing zones, grouping, etc doesn't help. I can zone into another zone (thinking it was a disco limited to town) and still, I drop.

ISP in this case in Verizon, west coast (California) either the ISP is jacked today or something on GGG side is causing this for some players and not others.

Anybody have the IP for the server on hand?

just to check if you are having ISP problems, you can attempt something like "ping -t www.google.com" which should launch a command window attempting to ping google. You can leave it running and it should continue attempting to ping. When you have issues, go back and look at the ping window and see if those stop working as well. If so, then your issue is isolated to your end or the ISP as something in your route is dropping.
@Shadowwulf1: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/23154. What you describe sounds like a bad connection. The game sends 'heartbeats' (aka it is ping-ponging with the server) and if, in an instance, the server doesn't receive a heartbeat within 6 seconds, it d/c's you. The only exception is changing zones, wich takes longer, and has a 40-ish second delay.

Maybe either of you can find more information in a search on it: http://www.pathofexile.com/search/results/An+unexpected+disconnection+occurred/search-within/forumposts-forumthreads
Don't read my signature!
Ill look into it, doubtful though unles a Verizon router is dropping packets somewhere (Which happens.)

Running rooted/custom ROM on a Galaxy Nexus 4g and tethering at 15Mbs down 10Mbs up...making it one of the fastest and cheapest connections in the Los Angeles area. Tracert and ping show nothing amiss thus far everything else on the system is kosher (I work in IT) that I have spotted. Ill continue looking, game worked wonderfully last night for example...just this morning something somewhere is up. The majority of the linked threads had nothing useful btw except the issue going away on its own, leading me to suspect serverside issues.

Going through the PoE logs now...holy crap 29mb text file....eating up Notepad++ lol.
Last edited by Shadowwulf1 on Feb 26, 2013, 2:25:21 PM
If you're running over cellular data, I'd expect some drops honestly. And cell drops are usually worse than wired connection drops due to the protocol and signal aquiring methods (usually with a wired connection, you just re-aquire signal and you keep the same IP and everything just carries on).

But if you have had a stable connection for a long time, then best I can recommend is what I said above. Just do something which is constant and gives semi-realtime feedback on the network and monitor it through your problem.

Back when I was having some connection issues relating to something else, I did a similar ping-test and found that my network was dropping randomly when I performed a specific action. Turned out to be some QoS (POS) stuff that I was able to disable and my problem went away.
Over a year stable. I develop android ROM's and mods for a hobby, and this technique is well known and stable as a rock ASSUMING you, like I, live in say Los Angeles with spectacular coverage and unlimited non throttled data. I average 100-500 GB a month through it on multiple simultaneous connections without a hitch. Nobody but myself is connected to it as I type this though.

Last edited by Shadowwulf1 on Feb 26, 2013, 2:35:38 PM
"
Shadowwulf1 wrote:
Over a year stable. I develop android ROM's and mods for a hobby, and this technique is well known and stable as a rock ASSUMING you, like I, live in say Los Angeles with spectacular coverage and unlimited non throttled data. I average 100-500 GB a month through it on multiple simultaneous connections without a hitch. Nobody but myself is connected to it as I type this though.

Nice!

I don't live in LA, nor do I have spectacular coverage, so that probably wouldn't work for me. Glad it works for you though. Hopefully you can find whatever is causing your problem quickly and get back to gaming!
http://i.imgur.com/vGcV4IA.png

Huzaah. Me thinks THAT is the issue........
Hop 9 and 10.
Last edited by Shadowwulf1 on Feb 26, 2013, 2:37:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info