Orb of augmentation, how does it work, what does it work on?

Hello,

I've got some of these:
Unavailable

But no matter what item that I try to use it on, it comes back with a failed to apply message.

What can they be used on, and what does it mean in the tooltip where it says add a "mod"?

Thanks
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
If you have a magic item with room for another mod, you are supposed to use the Orb and add a random.

I'm in the same boat though, I have either 90 or 120 of these in my stash, since they never seem to work on anything I've tried them on.
FFA loot sucks.
What is a "mod"? Is that a slot for adding gems? Or is a mod a stat that gets added to an item.

How does one tell if an item has room for a "mod"?

I've tried it on all my inventory items since I got it, and it's never worked, makes me wonder if it's bugged.
Last edited by CityBuilder on Feb 19, 2012, 10:34:38 PM
This thread will help some.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707

Modifiers
Modifiers are split up in to two main groups, prefixes and suffixes. A magic item can have only one prefix and one suffix, never two prefixes or two suffixes.
Rare items can have up to six modifiers, it is unknown if there is a limit on how many of these can be prefixes/suffixes.
A randomly generated rare item (from a drop or Orb of Alchemy) receives between four and six modifiers randomly, with the following odds:
1/12 chance of 6 mods
4/12 chance of 5 mods
7/12 chance of 4 mods

All modifiers have a level associated with them, and will only appear on items whos item level is greater than or equal to the modifier's level.

Lists of available magical modifiers are available in the item data section.
FFA loot sucks.
"
CityBuilder wrote:
What is a "mod"? Is that a slot for adding gems? Or is a mod a stat that gets added to an item.

How does one tell if an item has room for a "mod"?

I've tried it on all my inventory items since I got it, and it's never worked, makes me wonder if it's bugged.

It's not bugged, I use them all the time.

You are correct when you assume that a mod is a random stat that gets 'imbued' into the magic (blue) item upon using the orb of augmentation.

It won't, however, work on:
a) magic items that already have a full set of mods (I think 1 prefix and 1 suffix...? please correct me if I'm wrong here).
b) white items
c) rares (yellow) or uniques (brown)

Edit: pretty sure the magic item you want to add a mod to has to be identified before using the orb of augmentation.

Edit2: My main use of these is in low:mid levels, in tandem with orb of transmutation. I'll transmute a 'nice' white and then if it needs it I'll add a random mod.

TL/DR: Orb of Augmentation only works on blue magic items that have a free mod slot (to a total of 2 mod slots on a magic item).
Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
When in doubt inside your atavistic allure, the value of a summer spent,
And a winter earned.
Last edited by SirSelim on Feb 19, 2012, 10:51:10 PM
Magic items can only have two 'mods' AKA affixes: a prefix and a suffix. Rare items can have up to six, three prefixes and three suffixes with a randomly generated name. If a magic item lacks a prefix or suffix (Lacquered Sunplate = prefix, Sunplate of the Sky = suffix), an Orb of Augmentation will add that missing affix to the item at random.

Pre = before the name of the item
Suf = behind the name of the item
Magic = blue name
Rare = yellow name

The item database has all the current prefixes and suffixes neatly listed, and the affix level means the affix is limited by the level of the item you or the game is rolling them on. You can check the level of an item by picking it up with your mouse and typing /itemlevel.
Garrison - Closed beta Elemental Cleave DW Duelist
Last edited by Karakkonor on Feb 19, 2012, 10:57:46 PM
"
Karakkonor wrote:
If a magic item lacks a prefix or suffix (Lacquered Sunplate = prefix, Sunplate of the Sky = suffix), an Orb of Augmentation will add that missing affix to the item at random.

Haha, much nicer way of phrasing it. Thank you sir.
Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
When in doubt inside your atavistic allure, the value of a summer spent,
And a winter earned.
For example, an Orb of Augmentation would work on
Unavailable

but it wouldn't work on
Unavailable

Notice that both of these items have implicit mods that all items of their base type have, which do not count toward the 2 mod limit.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Just to clarify implicit mods, they are always listed in a separate 'box' above a magic or rare item's generated affixes, and are defined by the item type: for example, Amber Amulets will always spawn with a +str value between 20 and 30, and Iron Rings will always have +1-3 physical damage. On a white item, they will be the only mod listed on the item's description besides base values for armor and weapons.

The only item class currently in the game without an implicit mod is Axes, which instead of having an implicit mod boast increased damage that isn't listed.
Garrison - Closed beta Elemental Cleave DW Duelist
Last edited by Karakkonor on Feb 19, 2012, 11:03:24 PM
"
Karakkonor wrote:
Magic items can only have two 'mods' AKA affixes: a prefix and a suffix. Rare items can have up to six, three prefixes and three suffixes with a randomly generated name. If a magic item lacks a prefix or suffix (Lacquered Sunplate = prefix, Sunplate of the Sky = suffix), an Orb of Augmentation will add that missing affix to the item at random.

Pre = before the name of the item
Suf = behind the name of the item
Magic = blue name
Rare = yellow name

The item database has all the current prefixes and suffixes neatly listed, and the affix level means the affix is limited by the level of the item you or the game is rolling them on. You can check the level of an item by picking it up with your mouse and typing /itemlevel.

Okay, so something like a Sining wool boots of the pupil would already habe it's prefix and suffix right?

Thanks everybody for the information, much appreciated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info