[3.0] || The Retch ★ Slayer/Assassin ★ Archer || [ENDGAME-VIDEO] [ALL CONTENT] [10/14/17]

The shown Archer-Build is a variation of my own ||| SLArcher |||-Build, which means: Taking advantage of the Vessel of Vinktar - The Retch - Endless Hunger (slayer-passive) - synergy.

The Retch provides 200% of your leeched life as chaos damage, which would'nt be too fancy without the Endless Hunger, because leech-effects normally would be removed at full life. - Well, with Endless Hunger it's not removed.

Vessel of Vinktar provides a huge lifeleech-amount based on your lightning damage (30% base for leg. version and 20% for the new one), which is already showing the direction they build has to take: Getting as much lightning damage as possible.

Unlike my original build (which is utilizing the passive Elemental Overload) this variation can be called a classic critical-strike-build. Combinig slayer and asssassin-abilities allows us to get a decent amount of critical chance and multiplier.

WIP for 3.1

Explanation

The skilltree is about pathing to certain keynodes such as Point Blank, Druidic Rite, Forces of Nature, Acrobatics, Arcing Blows and Alchemist. The deep pathing into witch-area probably needs the most explanation:

Alchemist grants 26% increased flask effect, which lead into 25,2% lightning conversion of vinktar and 37,8% total lightning-lifeleech (leg. Vinktar). With the physical to lightning-gem (50% conversion) and a corrupted quiver you are able to reach up to 95,2% lightning-conversion this way. The dps-boost is immense and totally worth the investment.

The other keynodes are about...

• defences like Acrobatics, or
  • damage through elemental penetration, like Forces of Nature and Arcing Blows, or through positioning like Point Blank,
  • and utility like Druidic Rite for better gaining of flask charges and duration.

On the way to those keynodes you are just taking nodes which are worth it, like most life- and crit-related-nodes (King of the Hill, Lethality, Assassination, Throatseeker), some raw damage and jewel nodes.

The "Lioneye's Fall Tree" does use the unique Jewel "Lioneye's Fall" to transform Claw-Nodes into Bow ones and skill into Soul Raker. Soul Raker is a nice addition to the build, because the dualleech does help a lot, if you got no Vessel of Vinktars charges. Addtionally you get quite some critical-strike-nodes "on the fly".

The "Vaal Pact Tree" is your tree of choice, if you got no legacy Vessel of Vinktar or Atziri's Acuity for instant leech. The tree is a variation of the "Lioneye's Fall Tree", because the 3.0-Version of Vessel of Vinktar got no manaleech, which Soul Raker can provide.

Ascendant, Pantheon & Bandits

"Deal with the Bandits"-Quest should be completed with killing all for 2 additional skillpoints.

About the ascendancy-nodes: Duelist/Slayer is needed for not removing leech-effects on full life to make main-synergy work. Shadow/Assassin is the foot in door for a critical-strike-based-build, while Path of the Shadow enables way more efficient pathing. The following benefits we'll get:

• +20 to Dexterity and Intelligence
  • +20 to Strength and Dexterity
  • 5 Passive Skill Points
  • +1.5% to Critical Strike Chance
  • +40% to Critical Strike Multiplier against Enemies that are on Full Life
  • 20% chance to gain a Power Charge on Hit against Enemies that are on Full Life
  • Your Critical Strikes with Attacks Maim Enemies
  • Can Allocate Passives from the Shadow's starting point
  • 50% reduced Reflected Physical Damage taken
  • 40% increased Damage against Rare and Unique Enemies
  • Life Leech effects are not removed at Full Life
  • Your Damaging Hits always Stun Enemies that are on Full Life

Pantheon should be used as probably intended from GGG. Use the nodes which do help you at your current setup or tasks the most and just switch them, if you are going for something else.

I am running mostly Soul of Solaris as Major God (finish Dungeon, Vaal City and High Gardens with a Divine Vessel for all bonuses) and either Soul of Yugul for general grinding (finish Waste Pool with Divine Vessel for the bonus) or Soul of Tukohama for bosses like shaper (finish Marshes with Divine Vessel for the bonus) as Minor God.

The build is utilizing quite some more or less special mechanics or synergys. The following schematics and remarks should be a help to understand and taking advantage of the most important ones of them:

The Retch Damage-Calculation-Flowchart

Crowd Control

Because of chosing Slayer and Assassin as Ascendant and taking the node King Of The Hill we got multiple, potential crowd controling effects, which are:

• Maim is a debuff that applies 30% reduced movement speed on the affected target for 4 seconds.
  • Knockback is an on-hit effect that slightly pushed targets away from the attacker.
  • A stun interrupts whatever that creature was doing while a brief animation is played.

Distance (Point Blank, Knockback)

• 4 units:
    Default knockback distance.
  • 10 units:
    up to this distance full 50% more bonus damage from Point Blank.
  • 35 units:
    0% bonus damage from Point Blank at this range.
  • 150 units:
    Maximum projectile-travel-distance and −50% damage from Point Blank

Interaction of Tornado Shot, GMP and Pierce

Path of Building

Path of Building - Code

Please note:

• The chaos damage isn't shown, because PoB cannot handle "The Retch". You should add 200% of your leeched amount to your dps to approach to your real dps. In my case it's 75,6% of my lightning damage.
    My real barrage-dps against bosses is comfortably more than 5.000.000 dps.
  • Shock isn't activated, even though you do shock with Vessel of Vinktar. The shock-calculation of PoB isn't accurate, because it's still calculated like it worked before 3.0.

A. 1st 6-Link

(linking recommended for a rare Harbringer Bow; if you'll use a different bow please check the bow-section for different linkings)

Tornado-Shot
as main-attack, still one of the most powerful skills in the game. The linking provides great area-damage and still powerful single target damage, so you don't actually need a second 6-link. This setup is good enough to kill the shaper on it's own.

B. 2nd 6-Link

or

As said above, you don't need the 2nd-6-Link, but your single-target-damage will sky rocket with Barrage. I am using it on my weapon-swap, as don't have a 6-link body armour. For stuff like guardians, shaper or uber-atziri/izaro i just switch my weapon.

C. 3x 4-Links

Using Herald of Thunder with Curse on Hit, Projectiles Weakness and increased Area of Effect grants a very reliable source of spreading your curse and - of course - deals a lot more lightning damage.

Wrath for obvious reasons, plus Blink Arrow for mobility and a Ice Golem, because it's nice to have. Faster Attacks to buff Blink Arrow. You could use Blood Rage instead of Faster Attacks to gain Frenzy Charges, if you like.

Usual cast when damage taken setup comibend with Vaal Grace (for getting increased duration linked with it). Vaal Haste instead of Grace would be ok as well, depending on what you prefer more: Speed, or defense. I prefer defense.

The shown items are just examples to show the approximate direction.

A. Helmet

Starkonja's Head
and Rat's Nest are the most obvious choices. Both are great and in the end it's a question about your setup and preferences. Starkonja's is defensivly stronger, while Rat's Nest has advantages at the offensive end.

The most important thing about the slot is probably the enchantment. +2 projectiles to either tornado shot, or barrage is a huge boost. To choose between those is about chosing your preferences. If you are grinding bosses like shaper or uber-atziri a lot barrage will be the better choice, if it's more about general grinding then tornado shot.

B. Bow

Most powerful choice for the build is a nice, rare Harbringer. Due to the fact it was and probably still is one of the most crafted weapon bases there are always plenty of them being offered. You'd like to have one with at least benchcrafted critical strike chance and attack speed, plus as high physical-damage as you can afford.

Legacy Reach of the Council is a very decent option, because you can link increased critical strikes support instead of greater multiple projectiles support.

To compare a Reach of the Council with a Harbringer you can pretty much just add the lost damage through gmp. - Example: 360 pdps leg. RotC / 75 * 100 = 480 pdps, quite something!

A Death's Opus is a less impressive, but very solid and cheap choice. I'd go with the same setup like at RotC, even though you got 2 less additional projectiles. If you manage to get a decent enough critical strike chance without the gem, you could go for some more damage with slower projectiles or Damage on Full Life for example.

A Dying Sun Flask and + projectile-Enchantment is becoming really important here.

C. Quiver

A rare, corrupted quiver with physical to lightning conversion, but decent rolls are quite rare. Ideally you'd like to have life, elemental damage with attack skills and flat physical or lightning damage as prefixes and global critical strike chance, multiplier and attackspeed or accuracy as suffixes.

Still a decent alternative is a corrupted Drillneck with physical to lightning conversion, especially at the ts-setup, because of the pierce-synergy.

Another decent option is a corrupted Rigwald's Quills with lightning-conversion. If you want to use it, you should link chain support instead of pierce support and Conductivity instead of Projectiles Weakness, because any projectile that pierce cannot fork anymore:

D. Amulet

A rare amulet. Stats to look out for are global critical strike chance, multiplier and accuracy as suffixes and once again life, elemental damage with attack skills and flat physical or lightning as prefixes.

E. Body Armour

Legacy Kaom's Heart is best in slot, but if you cannot afford one, or playing a temp league a non-legacy Kaom's Heart, Belly of the Beast or good rare body armour does the job as well. If you are using a 6-link chest, you don't need a second weapon setup of course.

F. Rings

Rare rings
! Elemental damage with attack skills, flat physical and life, plus useful suffixes. Diamond, Opal and Steel being the best bases, but other useful bases are fine as well.

G. Gloves

Maligaros Virtuosity are a decent choice for obvious reasons. Atziri's Acuity are a great choice, if you got no legacy vessel vinktar for instant leech. Ideally you'll hit the critical strike cap anyways, so your hits will instant leech 95% of the time (implied you don't miss of course). - Reliable enough.
Another quite decent option is Shadows and Dust. If you use them, try to get the 3-blue sockets for the curse-on-hit-setup here, because it's way more likely to get it on a es/ev-base than on a pure evasion one.
If you got any of those gloves corrupted with elemental weakness on hit you'd free up a 4-link for some more utility, because you don't need a curse on hit setup anymore. Something like:

But those aren't cheap.

H. Belt

Must have, because the guide is more or less about The Retch and it's synergy-potentials.

"
The Retch does not drop and can only be obtained with the following vendor recipe, which requires non-corrupted items exclusive to the Talisman leagues: Feastbind, Faminebind & Orb of Fusing.
The modifier #% of Life Leech applies to enemies as Chaos Damage takes 200% of the actual life gained from leech and deals it as chaos damage to enemy that was the target of the leeching. Therefore, by default no damage is dealt if the player is at full health while leeching. This damage is not affected by damage modifiers as it is considered as reflected damage.
If Endless Hunger is allocated, then the damage will continue as long as the leech lasts, even once at full life. If combined with instantaneous life leech, then the total amount of potential leech is dealt instantly, including that above the player's maximum life.

Path of Exile Wiki

I. Boots

Some rare boots with movement speed, life and resistance are most likely the way to go. The enchantments above, plus flat-lightning are probably the best ones. If you don't need the resistance then Atziri's Steps are definitely worth a try.

J. Jewels

There are various variations of nice jewel-rolls for the build. Increased maximum life is always something you want, but those are the most expensive ones as well. Just try to take some jewels with 4 useful rolls.

If you want to play the "Lioneye's Fall"- or "Vaal-Pact"-Tree, you do need the unique jewel:

How to search for nice, rare jewels @poe.trade

Select all pre- and suffixes you might be interested in and add a counter of how much rolls you'd like to have of them (3 here). Add another list of pre- or suffixes which the jewel has to have, like life in the shown example. This way you get shown all variations of 4-roll-jewels with your prefered statlines.

K. Flasks

Vessel of Vinktar is needed for the synergy and probably overall the most powerful flask. A Shock-Immunity Flask to handle Vinktar and a Bleeding-Immunty one, because it's needed as well. For Wise Oak your uncapped lightning resistance should be the highest at least, while having all resistance at the same numbers is of course the best possible solution. Dying Sun is just a great addition for additional projectiles.

If you are not playing standard or cannot afford a legacy vinktar, you should use 2 non-legacy ones in a setup like this:

To enhance your critical strike chance a Diamond Flask is always something to consider as critical-strike-based build, especially if you are struggeling to hit decent numbers. Just swap a diamond flask into your setup, instead of the basalt one. - Something like:

Diamond Flask Effects

How to arrange a well working setup

Building a well working setup is always about balancing: Getting enough raw basedamage, while having a good chunk of elemental damage with attacks, critical strike chance, multiplier and accuracy to let it scale reliablely. On the other hand you have to meet your item-requirements, get a solid life-pool, cap your resistance and ensure sufficient mobility. - Some rough numbers you should be aiming for:

• Critical strike chance of at least 65% (use a diamond flask).
  • Chance to hit of at least 87%. Do not underestimade accuracy on gear, it's double checked for critical strikes. As we do path into 2 no-dexterity-areas you'll probably need at least 400 accuracy on gear.
  • 6000+ life to run red tier maps safely.
  • Cap your resistance with gear. Quite a lot builds these days are relying on wise oak to cap them, but i am not a big fan of it to be honest. If you haven't got flask charges once, you might just be dead.

||| GAMEPLAY: The Retch Ascendant, Guardians, Uber-Atziri, Shaper [V3.0] |||

Shaper

Uber-Atziri

[3.0]||| Retch - SLArcher ||| - Slayer Bow Archer

The original build, utilizing elemental overload instead of critical strike multiplier.

Comparison of Elemental Overload and Critical Strike Multiplier

Green area is showing at which point critical strike multiplier is getting better than Elemental Overload damagewise.

- Not everything being explained or shown in the guide is thought of by myself first or even made by myself. I'd like to thank everyone who has shared his thoughts over the last couple of years to help the community and myself.

I hope you enjoyed reading the guide and you'll enjoy playing the build even more. Of course i am looking forward to any comments, questions or criticisms. -
Last edited by basta1982 on Dec 2, 2017, 12:25:25 AM
Last bumped on Nov 16, 2017, 11:16:15 PM
reserved
Last edited by basta1982 on Sep 1, 2017, 12:37:44 PM
Adjusted some stuff, added two charts (for diamond flasks and a comparison of elemental overload and critical strike multiplier) and finished the gear-section. Hope i'll got the time to make a new video soon, maybe next weekend.
Is this just a theory or did you manage to build it?
Profile is private, so hard to tell.

I am thinking about attempting something like this in Temp league.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
Marxone wrote:
Is this just a theory or did you manage to build it?
Profile is private, so hard to tell.

I am thinking about attempting something like this in Temp league.

No, not a theory-build. Started the build last week and i am lvl89 right now. Sadly haven't got a lot of time recently, but it already works really great. The original elemental-overload-build i've played in standard and legacy league as well.
Played a pathfinder for quite some time as well and this build kind of feels like a mix between pathfinder and the slayer-version of the build.

(+ set the profile public again)

Last edited by basta1982 on Aug 28, 2017, 12:08:40 PM
I wonder if traveling into witch area is worth the effot, if it's not better to grab Lioneye's Fall into the mid section between Shadow / ranger to grab Soul Raker , instead and perhaps some accuracy nodes.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
Marxone wrote:
I wonder if traveling into witch area is worth the effot, if it's not better to grab Lioneye's Fall into the mid section between Shadow / ranger to grab Soul Raker , instead and perhaps some accuracy nodes.

1.2% extra Life-Leech versus 5,2% (new Vinktar) or 7.8% (leg. Vinktar) extra Lifeleech. Of course a little bit, but not a lot less, because you are not dealing 100% lightning damage,- close to though.
Alchemist is a great node in general, increasing the effect of flasks by 26% is just madness.
Last edited by basta1982 on Aug 28, 2017, 1:30:02 PM

work in progress :)

3.13 was the golden age.
"
Marxone wrote:

work in progress :)

Great, but try to get a conversion-quiver. Guess will be cheaper than the +arrow one anyways.

Added some more stuff: A Flow-Chart of the mechanics, few hints here and there, more explanation for gear and pantheon, etc.
I gave up on this. Tried to convert into non-Brutality lightning Tornado shot from pure phys Barrage, but it's just too boring. Rolling my gear back to my Retch Cycloner. It's more fun.

3.13 was the golden age.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info