[3.1] OutofMilk's Physical ST (Shaper down on Budget!. Clears all content including U-Atziri!)

Introduction

Hello,

My name is OutofMilk and welcome to my Scourge Physical Spectral Throw build!
I have been playing PoE since Perandus League and i've played ALOT of D3 before that and now i have made my first build for PoE!

My biggest achievement was getting to level 100 in Legacy league. This was done by playing Invalesco's Crit HOWA build and i absolutely loved it.
The playstyle was fun and i liked the way Spectral Throw works!

I took a break after i hit 100 and came back for Harbinger league to a nerfed HOWA and ES.
I first tried to make a HOWA build but i don't think i would be able to make it as fun as it was in Legacy.

Therefore i took matters to my own hands and made a Physical Spectral Throw build and so far i am loving it.
I have been theorycrafting alot on this build with a good friend AAA_Xalgar to make the best version of a Physical ST build.

The playstyle is exactly the same as HOWA, the only issue is that it's now a life-based build so you won't have the same survivability as a HOWA build.
The survivability issue just means we need a higher skillcap. The build is fairly easy to play, but for Guardians and Shaper you will have to know when to move out of stuff.

As mentioned this is the first time i am creating a build, i have probably done some things wrong.
I would like to receive feedback so that the build can improve and can continue being worked on for future leagues.

3.1 Changes
As you all know leech took a big hit for 3.1. What this means is that our #1 defense mechanic was nerfed and we most likely won't be able to facetank the same stuff we were able too. I myself will not leaguestart this as i am pretty unsure how good the build will perform without instaleech and in all honesty i would not recommend leaguestarting this as i don't want to ruin the first weeks of league for you guys! Through personal theorycrafting i do think sacrificing 1 Scourge for the insta-life claw might be required for some guardians.

F.A.Q
Spoiler

Q: Is this build HC viable?
Spoiler
I think this build could do alot of good in HC league. There are however som key points you would have to go through.

1. More HP on the tree (lose some dps)

2. Kaoms Roots with +1 frenzy charges would be required

3. 5L Belly would be required

4. Every jewel would need to have 7% Max HP.

5. I would personally not use Taste of Hate and Dying sun in HC. Switch those out for 2x utility flasks with curse immune and freeze immune. (See Flask section).

6. Experience.

Now what i mean by experience is you NEED to know the game if you are to attempt Guardians/Shaper with this build.

I have alot of experience with guardians and shaper but even then i do die from time to time.

Minotaur: can be done with your eyes closed (see facetank vid)

Hydra: would require some dodging skills

Phoenix: I would personally never go for Phoenix in HC as bad RNG here can rip you apart.

Chimera: I would NEVER set foot in Chimera in HC mostly because of how overtuned the boss mobs are. (If you roll bad RNG and 2-3 mobs hit you at the same time it's bye-bye)

Shaper: Make sure you know the fight in and out. Shaper is all about handling mechanics properly. I usually never switch out from Slower Proj but for the run inbetween phases i would switch to GMP and kill the mobs and switch back to Slow Proj once you get to the portal boss.

Experienced HC players will wreak havoc playing this build. I have never played HC just so that is said!

Changelog
Spoiler

Update 1: Added leveling gear!
Update 2: Added some more information to the leveling section!
Update 3: Added transitioning from cheap to expensive flasks!
Update 4: Added new PoB link. Changed our Curse-on-hit setup.
Update 5: Forgot that Bone Helmet exists, updated Gear section!
Update 6: Added video showcasing the dps of the build! Facetanking Minotaur from 100-0
Update 7: Updated tree for 3.1

Videos
Spoiler

3.1 Videos
TBA

3.0 Videos
Spoiler

These videos of Guardians/Shaper were my first time doing them since Legacy League so i was abit rusty!

(Ignore the guy talking, i forgot it was recording discord)

T16 Minotaur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-6My5SmcQ

T16 Hydra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sklsA-MQcfI

T16 Phoenix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNzrMxzZbCg

T16 Chimera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvt_OQp5BiU

Shaper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSgwMTxDmg
(Do not facetank shaper beam like i did in the video, i was simply testing if it was possible, we lose dps by facetanking beam cos of the dmg on full life gem)

Shaper with 138 Chaos Budget:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sAS1IJCE8

Facetanking Mino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKZ_BFrAgM

Sextant Shores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0KGS92o8A

More videos to come!

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros;

- Amazing map clear
- Extremely high Single Target dmg.
- The build excels in diversity, meaning you can change some nodes/gems to suit your playstyle and it would still work.
- Can do every single content ingame
- The build does not require super GG gear to clear endgame.
(I have used around 600-650c + 800 fuses on 6-Linking my belly which i would say is medium-budget. The build can probably clear endgame with worse gear than i have equipped)
- Can kill Shaper on a 138 Chaos gear value. (See its own section)
- Access to Whirling Blades which means MS on boots is not a requirement
- Required uniques are around 5-10c
- Easy build to master as you play it.
- Access to one of the coolest MTXs ingame (Serapth Spectral Throw).
- Easy to level up
- Phys reflect does not instarip you.
- Can do all map mods except No leech. (Phys reflect maps can be abit icky, would not recommend doing phys reflect on low density maps or maps where the boss has high HP)

Cons;

- Some map bosses in higher tiers can take some time with GMP equipped (Due to HP buff making most bosses just sponges)
- requires a bit of int/str on gear to reach the stats needed to equip some gems/gear
- It's not HOWA :(
- Not a league-starter. (I would probably not recommend this build as a leaguestarter for now, mainly because i have not tested it yet, wait for next league!)
- Spectral Throw playstyle isn't for everyone.
- Requires a bit focus. With the amount of projectiles you throw out, ground effects can be hard to see (volatiles are a good example)
- For some people the gear i have equipped may not be as budget as you would hope to be. Full endgame gear can be costly.
- Requires gem-swapping for bosses on t16+
- Can not facetank everything, requires positioning skills at very high tiers.

Mechanics of the build
Spoiler
The build relies on high amounts of Attack speed, phys dmg and critical strikes.
The reward of all that is that we gain insane amounts of leech, making mapping and some bosses a complete joke.
With Atziris and Sin's Rebirth we gain ALOT of Chaos damage, making random phys reflect rares in maps tickle you.

The build is extremely versatile, it has good map clearing with GMP and can do very high amounts of Single target dps with Slower projectiles.
The required uniques of this build are very cheap and gives us alot of dps.

Dual wielding The Scourge gives us 140% global dmg whenever we hit something (so it should have 100% uptime) and whenever we kill mobs we have a chance of summoning spectral wolves.
The wolves do close to no dmg, but they have around 6k hp which makes them good target dummies.
We can have 20 wolves up at the same time and they are able to taunt map bosses making some bosses less deadly to you.
The unique about The Scourge is the "Increases and Reductions to Minion Damage also affect you" meaning jewels with "Increased minion damage" can also help you out.

Spectral Throw is a ranged skill with the "Attack" tag, meaning anything that gives us attack damage will contribute to ST.
Because ST is ranged it means that most items or nodes with the melee tag would not work.

A good example can be the node "Master of the Arena" which gives us 8% increased MELEE physical damage. This node would not contribute to our ST dps.
However, nodes like "Dervish" which gives us 24% increased physical weapon damage would contribute.

When it comes to jewels mods like "Increased phys damage with one handed melee weapons" contribute to our dps.
Jewel mods like "increased melee damage" would not contribute to our dps.

If you are new to Spectral Throw i would recommend reading the wiki for a more detailed version of how ST works:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spectral_Throw

Tree, Ascendancy and Pantheon Power
Spoiler
Ascendancy;
Way of the Poacher -> Avatar of the Slaughter -> Rapid Assault -> Avatar of the Chase

Tree;
37 points: www.poeurl.com/bEw3
70 points: www.poeurl.com/bEw8
93 points: www.poeurl.com/bExa
Endgame: www.poeurl.com/bExd
Lvl 100: www.poeurl.com/bExh

Pantheon;
Major: Soul of the Brine King
Minor: Soul of Yugul

Bandits
Spoiler
We kill all for Eramir's favour.

Why we don't help Alira;
The reason we don't help Alira is cause she brings us close to nothing.
-The mana regen does not help us in any way as we already leech more than enough.
-The resists are pretty much useless as every piece of your gear can have resists on them (except weps) so capping resists shouldnt be an issue.
-This leaves us with 20% crit multi which is good, but getting 2 passive points will give us more dps on the tree than 20% crit multi would.

To conclude i would say Alira is good until you hit lvl 70 and can equip mapping gear, after that Eramirs favor wins by far.
Go for Eramir though if you don't want to switch later (its 20 orbs of regrets which is costly)

Leveling
Spoiler

I very much recommend using leveling gear so you get to endgame faster! You can see the leveling items section for recommended uniques while leveling!

After killing Hillock, put on leveling gear and get Spectral Throw + Onslaught + Any support gems from Nessa you think would be useful.

While you are leveling, always check the gem vendor in town to see if there are any support gems you can buy. I would recommend checking the gem-link section to see how you want your 6L to look like. Use Lesser Multiple Projectiles until lvl 38

For weapons you use whatever you want up until level 34!

At level 16, grab Herald of Ash

At level 20 i would recommend getting a Carnage heart. This item makes Vaal Pact not needed until mapping! (use this until level 70 to gain insane leech)

At level 24, grab Hatred

At level 31, grab Slower Projectiles and put it somewhere just to level it up. (You can use it for bosses)

At level 34, switch weapons to 2x Mortem Mortsu and start slowly transitioning into Claw Nodes (Soul Raker first).

At level 38, get GMP and switch out LMP

At level 40, do normal lab and after that get a friend to boost you in cruel lab. (Makes leveling abit easier and faster for you)

At level 60, switch out Mortem Mortsu for 2x Wasp Nest, use these until level 70.

At level 65-68, get a friend to boost you in merc labs (or do it yourself is possible) and after that buy a boost for uberlabs. (Get 4x health potions and 1 Quicksilver flask of Adrenaline). Do the labs AFTER you level so that incase you die you don't lose XP.

How to get to endgame fast(Expensive, but superfast);
Level up in Blood Aqueducts/Oasis until 68-70
Kill Kitava and move on to mapping from 70-74

At 74 do Poorjoy Rotations until lvl 80

At level 80 do Harbinger t15 rotations till 92

Leveling items;
Spoiler

Gear
Spoiler

How to gear up;
- Get as much max life as possible
- Cap resists!!!
- Have Accuracy rating above 90%
- Rings/Amulet should be used as pure dps items, recommended to cap resists before you move on to jewellry
- Have atleast 90% Accuracy
- Enough strength and int to use gems/gear.

Required uniques;
2x The Scourge, Terror claw.

Yellow gear;
Stats are listed as most important -> least important

Helmet: Bone Helmet Base (40% minion damage) -> Max life -> 40% Spectral Throw Damage enchant (If you are not using bone helmet) -> Resists -> Accuracy (If capped resists)

Gloves: Max Life -> Resists -> Gripped Gloves base (18% Projectile dmg) -> Attack Speed (If capped resists) -> Accuracy (If capped resists)

Belt:
Abyss belt : Good abyss jewel (Life -> dps) -> Max Life -> Resists
Rustic Sash: Max life -> Resists -> Flask effect duration (If capped resists)

Boots:
Kaoms Roots: +1 Frenzy charges -> Max life
Rare boots: Max life -> Resists -> +1 Frenzy Charges (not required) -> Movement speed (If capped resists)

Chest: Get either a Belly (expensive) or a Yriels Fostering (Cheaper). A rare chest can also work: Max life -> Resists
(Would highly recommend getting a Belly)

Rings;
I would highly recommend capping resists before you move on to buying rings/amulet

Steel Ring (Expensive): Max Life -> Adds phys dmg (Implicit) -> Adds phys dmg (Prefix) -> Accuracy -> Resists (if needed)

Diamond Ring (Cheaper): Max Life -> Adds phys dmg -> Int/Str (If needed) -> Crit Multi -> Accuracy -> Resists (if needed)

Amulet: Max life -> Int/Str (If needed) -> Adds phys dmg -> Crit multi -> Accuracy -> Resists (if needed)

Flasks
Spoiler
Expensive version;
- Dying Sun
- Atziri's Promise
- Sin's Rebirth
- Taste of Hate
- Surgeon's Silver Flask of Staunching

Cheaper version;
- Atziri's Promise
- Sin's rebirth / Basalt Flask of Grounding
- Surgeon's Silver Flask of Staunching
- Surgeon's Sulphur Flask of Heat
- Experimenter's Diamond Flask of Warding

Transitioning from Cheap to Expensive in the following order: Most imporant -> Least Important

Dying Sun -> Sin's Rebirth -> Taste of Hate

Jewels
Spoiler
I would recommend getting atleast 3 jewels with 7% Max hp.

Link to poe.trade: http://poe.trade/search/tenokonakisaun

Would always recommend to check jewels in Path of Building before buying to see dps increase of each!
Just because 1 jewel is more expensive than another does not mean the expensive one will give you more dps!

My Gear
Spoiler

Gem links
Spoiler
(Level of gem)

from Most important -> Least important

6L: Spectral Throw -> GMP/Slower Projectiles -> Damage on full life -> Physical Projectile Attack Damage -> Maim -> Increased Crit

GMP = Mapping
Slower Proj = Single target boss

4L A: Whirling Blades -> Faster Attacks -> Blood Magic / Reduced Mana -> Fortify
4l B: Cast when DMG taken (1) -> Blade Vortex (8) -> Increased Crit -> Power Charge on Crit

3L A: Orb of Stormss -> Curse on hit -> Proj weakness -> Vaal Haste
(Do not overlevel Orb of Storms, it costs alot of Int. Orb of storms level 10-15 works great)

3L B: Enlighten(2-4) -> Hatred -> Herald of Ash
Enlighten does not need to be lvl 4

Disabled 3L B: Cast when DMG taken (20) -> Ice Golem (20) -> Immortal call (1) We will not be using this setup for now. Keeping it here just incase for the future!

Path of Building

138C Gear Value Shaper kill
Spoiler

That concludes the build. If the build looks fun for you, i recommend you try it out.

The build is able to do all content ingame, from Uberlabs to Uber-Atziri (still working on U-Atziri).

I would love to receive feedback, as mentioned above, this is a build i am planning to work on for future leagues.

If you have any questions i would recommend you post them in this thread.
I can't guarantee i will be able to answer everyone as i am at work for 8-9 hours a day.

If you want you can also send me a PM, but if i do not answer i am probably mapping or killing bosses so please do not spam and leave a comment in the thread instead!
Spammers will be ignored!

Shoutout to my IRL Friend AAA_Xalgar for sitting countless hours with me theorycrafting this build!
-OutofMilk

Last edited by outofmilk on Jan 12, 2018, 10:32:48 AM
Last bumped on Feb 25, 2018, 8:28:39 AM
Hey I'm leveling as this right now. What claws/daggers would you use until scourge?
"
Juicegamer wrote:
Hey I'm leveling as this right now. What claws/daggers would you use until scourge?

Hey dude, i went ahead and added my leveling gear to the lvling section.

In short you can level with whatever you want up until lvl 34 which is when i would recommend switching over to 2x Morten Mortsu and grabbing the claw Nodes. At lvl 60 you can switch to 2x Wasp nest and at 70 you transition to Scourges
This build looks great! I've been looking for a fast, spectral throw build because HoWA just felt so smooth in 2.6.

Anyways, I have around 250c. With such a budget, what would be the main priority for upgrades from the budget gear?
Hey,

i would say the best upgrade would be going for a Belly first (a 5l works, just swap out increased crit and get diamond rings) then you could look for a helmet with spectral throw damage enchant, after that you manage to 6L the belly i would go for 2x steel rings
"
outofmilk wrote:
"
Juicegamer wrote:

Hey dude, i went ahead and added my leveling gear to the lvling section.

In short you can level with whatever you want up until lvl 34 which is when i would recommend switching over to 2x Morten Mortsu and grabbing the claw Nodes. At lvl 60 you can switch to 2x Wasp nest and at 70 you transition to Scourges

As soon as i saw this update my leveling started going soooo much smoother thanks so much.
In PoB(your build link), the dps for ST is about 52k. Isn't that kinda low? Or is that not the true dps? If that's the case, how exactly is it calculated?
Last edited by verozo on Aug 25, 2017, 9:28:25 PM
"
verozo wrote:
In PoB(your build link), the dps for ST is about 52k. Isn't that kinda low? Or is that not the true dps? If that's the case, how exactly is it calculated?

PoB doesn't seem to like 2x Scourge Claws. If you put on "hit recently" in calcs in PoB you can see the dps doesn't move, but if you go ingame and hit something the dps moves. It's just PoB i guess :S If you see my budget shaper video you can see the dps is completely fine.
Updated PoB link and our Curse-on-hit setup!
"
outofmilk wrote:
"
verozo wrote:

PoB doesn't seem to like 2x Scourge Claws. If you put on "hit recently" in calcs in PoB you can see the dps doesn't move, but if you go ingame and hit something the dps moves. It's just PoB i guess :S If you see my budget shaper video you can see the dps is completely fine.

I see, that's pretty decent clear! Also, might I suggest using bone helmet as well? It's essentially up to 40% inc damage for free :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info