D-Day for my dog.

Currently he's in france for radiation treatment which will hopefully stability or in the best case scenario push back an aggressive tumor on the left of his nose.

Surgery is out of the question at the moment since they would have to remove both of his eyes in the process and a fairly big chunk of his mouth.
Wouldn't give a shit about the mouth being disfigured, but losing his eyes would just result in poor quality of life in my opinion.

The tumor has not spread to any other parts of his body, but since it's an aggressive one it is growing quite rapidly.

Send my dog some good karma if possible peeps.

Nervous to hear the news at the moment, seven years old is not a good age for a dog to go.

Hoping the tumor grows smaller in size and they might be able to operate then, though none of the doctors mentioned that option it was the first thing that popped in my head while reading their report on his situation.

His brother is lying besides me, clueless why the pack is currently split up.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : as requested not sure if this will work but let's try.

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Aug 24, 2017, 2:37:22 PM
Last bumped on May 8, 2018, 2:11:40 AM
Tough times, wish you all the best.
"
Boem wrote:
Currently he's in france for radiation treatment which will hopefully stability or in the best case scenario push back an aggressive tumor on the left of his nose.

Surgery is out of the question at the moment since they would have to remove both of his eyes in the process and a fairly big chunk of his mouth.
Wouldn't give a shit about the mouth being disfigured, but losing his eyes would just result in poor quality of life in my opinion.

The tumor has not spread to any other parts of his body, but since it's an aggressive one it is growing quite rapidly.

Send my dog some good karma if possible peeps.

Nervous to hear the news at the moment, seven years old is not a good age for a dog to go.

Hoping the tumor grows smaller in size and they might be able to operate then, though none of the doctors mentioned that option it was the first thing that popped in my head while reading their report on his situation.

His brother is lying besides me, clueless why the pack is currently split up.

Peace,

-Boem-

It's rough when your pet isn't doing well. Sometimes radiation treatments do shrink tumors enough to make them operable. I hope this is the case with your dog, and they get the tumor out with clear margins.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
^It's the margins that's the problem currently, if they would operate and remove it they would have to take away around 1cm extra to ensure they have all of the malign tissue.

Which would mean taking out both eyes, so my hope is that it shrinks enough to create a window of opportunity to operate without the margin reaching the eyes.

Else it's going to be palliative radiation treatment until his life quality dips below the threshold i deem reasonable.

Which is a hard call because he currently is not effected by it at all other then some heavier breathing.(it's taking up space in his nose and mouth)

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Boem wrote:
^It's the margins that's the problem currently, if they would operate and remove it they would have to take away around 1cm extra to ensure they have all of the malign tissue.

Which would mean taking out both eyes, so my hope is that it shrinks enough to create a window of opportunity to operate without the margin reaching the eyes.

Else it's going to be palliative radiation treatment until his life quality dips below the threshold i deem reasonable.

Which is a hard call because he currently is not effected by it at all other then some heavier breathing.(it's taking up space in his nose and mouth)

Peace,

-Boem-

Did the veterinarian mention if cryoblation was an option?
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:

They didn't mention it.

Not sure if that's a practice utilized on animals either and since were doing radiation therapy already i don't think stepping from treatment to another one is advisable.

Cheers though.

Peace,

-Boem-

"
Boem wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

They didn't mention it.

Not sure if that's a practice utilized on animals either and since were doing radiation therapy already i don't think stepping from treatment to another one is advisable.

Cheers though.

Peace,

-Boem-

Yeah, you generally don't switch from one method to another unless the first method isn't showing any results after a period, or the adverse effects are too great. Cryoablation could be another option after the radiation therapy, if necessary.
sounds like its time to put him down

sad day :(

ive had to do it with 2 of my doggies before not fun
I dont see any any key!
Sorry about your dog. :( Hopefully, the radiation will work.
Censored.
So apparently they didn't radiate today, all they did was go over all the potential options today and took their own scans "in-house" or whatever i should call it. 3D scans to see procession of the tumor compared to the pictures send.

Cheers for the info regarding cryoblation Dalai, i send it via a text to my parents who where there and they discussed it with the doctor in charge.

Apparently there's a hospital in the netherlands that has a device using that application in loan for testing purposes so it might be a valid route to take.

Not sure if that interferes with radiation therapy, if not it's a valid option to combine both methods if deemed possible.

So my parents have to decide what happens next, but i'm pretty much convinced it's going to be radiation therapy anyway, this day feels like a waste of time to me but i could just be biased considering my proximity.

So next wednesday the radiation therapy will most likely commence as a palliative measure to stop the growth.

Then looking into the cryo thing if possible to go along with it. And if the tumor starts to grow again after that we have to look for other options that don't include radiation since the levels would become to high at that point.

There's some clinical trials to which his case information has been send to now and from which we will get a reply roughly between friday and monday next week.

Cheers all.

And again thanks for the info dalai it is very much appreciated.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : i forgot to mention, some good news in relation to the 3D-scans.

Apparently the tumor while just left of his nose, doesn't actually block the airflow since it "surrounds" the nose if that makes sense and is partially in his mouth.
I was under the assumption it would gradually suffocate him if it grew, which does not seem to be the case.

A tiny spick of sunshine on a less then favorable situation. But i'll take it non-the-less.
Last edited by Boem on Aug 23, 2017, 2:51:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info