Additional physical damage reduction from armour. What is that?

Does it mean same that I had few hundred points more armour? How relevant roll is it if we try to compare it for life (like is +20 max life better than 4% additional phys dmg reduction)?

For example:

I wonder is rerolling into 110+ max hp armour just better
Last edited by Possu81 on Aug 22, 2017, 1:19:42 PM
Last bumped on Aug 23, 2017, 10:00:11 AM
That phys mitigation is false in the tooltip, just like many other tooltips.

Might reduce the hit of a white thrash mob by 4%, but will do nothing if a boss hits you, because that is how armor works, I mean the actual reduction formula is armor/(armor+10*dmg), so larger the hit, less it does up to the point where it does nothing sometimes.

Regardless of that, you have a really decent piece of chestpiece, I would not spend more money on rerolling it.
Last edited by krenderke on Aug 22, 2017, 1:33:41 PM
raw damage - 4% - %armor reduction

or

raw damage - (%armor reduction+4%)

which is the correct calculation? If the first one(4% calculated first, then reduction from armor), then that 4% will help a lot in the absolute armor rating damage reduction
Last edited by traitorzz on Aug 23, 2017, 6:16:44 AM
Ah sorry my mistake, I didn't see that was a mod on the chest, so essentially it is like having an endurance charge permanently.
Yeah the chest definitely looks better now lol.

So the way it works is.

You get hit by phys dmg, conversion things happen first (taste of hate or lightning coil, warbands mod helmet, cloak of flame etc) then armor applies, then real %mitigation thigs (endurance charges, basalt flasks soul of steel, this armor mod), then fortify at the very end.

I'm not sure where Arctic armor comes in, but it is a multiplier just like fortify so probably at the end.

Order for phys mitigation thing.
- Damage taken as X elemental dmg
- Armor formula
- real %mitigation (not the one in the defense tab tooltip, but the actual amount you u have)
- Fortify (if you have it)

Someone might correct me, but I think this is the order.
Last edited by krenderke on Aug 23, 2017, 7:57:03 AM
Armour grants a percentage of Physical Damage Reduction (%PDR) relative to Damage Taken. All other %PDR sources add onto this value. This includes the new body armour affix and Endurance Charges.
Worth noting: Armour is based on Hit Damage - other sources of %PDR are not. As such, Armour does not apply to Bleed at all, but ECharges and this affix do.

Damage Taken modifiers such as Fort, Abyssus and Artic Armour apply after %PDR, and follow the usual rules: Inc+Red are additive, More/Less are multiplicative.

Fixed %PDR is really good. Much more effective against Physical Damage than a tiny fraction of Life ever could be. It of course has no effect on Elemental Damage, but frankly 20 flat Life isn't that big a deal there either.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 23, 2017, 9:23:47 AM
Flat phys reduction like that is very strong, because its what armor should have been in the first place. Armor in its current state is pretty much useless, and a noob trap.
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:
Flat phys reduction like that is very strong, because its what armor should have been in the first place. Armor in its current state is pretty much useless, and a noob trap.

Shortsighted comments like these are the real noob-trap >.>

Armour can be the difference between surviving a 10k Hit and being one-shot. 6 ECharges plus a Basalt is pretty decent mitigation, right? 6k Life, quite solid.

6 * 4 + 15 = 39% PDR -> 6100 Phys Damage taken -> dead

Add in just 10k Armour, drop 500 Life:
10000 / (10000 + 10 * 10000)) = 0.09
39 + 9 = 48% PDR -> 5200 Damage taken -> not dead, despite having 500 Life less and getting "only" 9% PDR from Armour. Additive stacking is really strong; ECharges are almost free for Armour builds, and the best Armour passive on the tree even comes with 4% PDR to boot.

Armour is a trade-off that you might not like to make (you need something to protect against Elemental Damage as well), but it's far from useless.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 23, 2017, 10:01:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info