d3 > poe

So Coke vs. Pepsi huh?

I choose Dr. Pepper!(Sacred 1 and/or 2...just pretend Scared 3 never happened...don't look at it, don't mention it, don't talk about, don't write it down...just don't.)

After playing Path of Exile quite a lot for the last year or so I went back to Diablo 3 and now have a greater appreciation for some of its design choices, mostly in the skills department. GGG hit a wall pretty early with support gem design complexity as they realized they had to be very generic to not be pigeonholed into only be on a few number of skills. This unfortunately led to Path of Exile's current theme song Rebel Yell. Diablo 3's rune system allowed them to craft support effects specific to the skills themselves, allowing either a damage type or complete mechanical change. PoE's trying to do this with threshold jewels but it feels like it's duct taped on instead of naturally integrated.

As for endgame Path of Exile has a set of fixed difficulty challenges allowing for many builds to meet those challenges. Unfortunately this leaves open a series of builds that trivialize content which has a great impact on a game centered around player economy. Diablo 3's endgame just keeps cranking up the numbers which unfortunately the effect of pushing out everything but the most optimal builds. In the end both games kinda lose big here.

Boss design...top down action rpgs have never really been known for great bosses as there needs to be a certain level of mechanical forgiveness as you're letting pathfinding maneuver your characters to a fairly large extent. Bosses in most of these games boil down to "don't stand in the fire(unless you can heal through it) and move to the other side when the giant telegraph goes off! Otherwise spam attack." There's little in the way of maneuvering and dodging and trying to trick the enemy into an exposed position to deliver high payloads of damage to a critical area. Mostly it comes down to "are the numbers on my calculator bigger than the enemy's?"

Build complexity...since DoT's don't do incredibly much and ailments kinda shit the bag its now about what color do you want your damage to be in PoE. Oh and don't worry about things like Armour, Evasion, Energy Shield. You can give dodge and block some attention but you're much better off just shoving a bunch of HP onto a character for when RNGesus brings out his Overlapping Critcock of Death and Doom. Diablo 3 basically says the same thing, "Here have more Vitality! Oh and we may give 1 Get of Death Free card every so often."

So in the end...uh yeah not a real clear winner. But then again there doesn't need to be a winner as long as you're having fun playing either game or another ARPG as there are more, even some with actual people playing them.

I love Diablo and Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. I have been really enjoying PoE. All of these games are different to me and I love them for different reasons. I don't see any reason why someone would have to choose which one is best and which one is garbage, which one is a waste of time and which one takes "skill". I don't know, they are all clicky clicky kill shit, I think that's all I really care about.

At the end of the day, it's ok to like something and it's ok to not like something. It doesn't make you a better person for liking one thing over another. No matter which title you play, you are still just a dude sitting in front of a computer grinding for hours just like everyone else here.
d3>poe. your mom.
"

Mean while

It's raining unique, 95% of item are shit and why even have it in game ?

In no way does it rain uniques in PoE like it does legendaries in D3.

Good rares and uniques mean nothing if they are super easy to find.
Standard Forever
I have not played it since AH canacelled so really can't say. But this game had everything i wanted after i left except AH OFC but close enough.
Git R Dun!
Diablo 3 is not a good game. It is dumbed down copy past of Diablo 2 with linear corridors instead of big randomly generated levels, dumb bosses on tiny round spots which are nothing more than a gear checks and so on.

The problem is that this is exactly the way which PoE goes. I don't like at all after Pitty addition (end of Act 3 and Act 4). Linear corridors (Belly of the Beast), endless copy past (Tower and The Grand Arena), endless same bosses on tiny round spot doing area damage almost everywhere.
"
HollandRoden wrote:
d3>poe. your mom.

your mom>d3. poe.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
i played d1 then d2 the some d3

then... i landed here at poe! whee!

who makes a great game like poe for free?
i enjoy this game and that's all that matters to me. game on!
D1 was one of the first non console games I played, and I really loved it. It was a Christmas present from my now spouse who didn't really think I would like it but could not get the game I really wanted (Myth which I later got and didn't like as much which pretty much sums up the rest of our gift giving lives together, btw). It was unlike anything else at the time; pretty hard for a kid these days to understand.

D2 came out and I got it, and it was so much better! Ditto the EP. I never got (nor heard of til later Hellfire). I played D2 for years.

Then ... nothing from them. We moved on to other games, most notably Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege as far as that genre but I played mostly outside the genre.

When they finally decided to release D3, literally years later, the thrill was just gone for me. Waited too long. Then I saw the reviews, etc and frankly, it didn't look like anything I was interested in, so I passed on it.

I discovered PoE around Christmas 2013 and was blown away. This is what Blizzard forgot to release! But could they have done as good a job? Hmm. Really don't think so now.

A few months ago this year, (yes this year) I finally got around to getting D3 and it was better than I thought, but, personally, never going to be as good or even in the same class as PoE. It is too cartoon looking; I miss the monochromic look of D2. The story is OK, but, let's face it, a story cannot carry these games. It's more about gameplay.

I can see someone with very limited gaming time playing D3; it takes 2 hours to do in that game what it takes a week to do in PoE, so that is a valid point. But, like any shortened experience, it won't be as fun ultimately.

Like people skipping the book and watching the dumbed down movie.

Just one opinion from a long time gamer.
Censored.
I've played D3 more in the past year than I have PoE. D3 is easier to get into and way less time consuming. If you just want to play an ARPG every now and then, log in for 1-2 hrs occasionally just to kill some shit, D3 serves that purpose better than PoE does. In PoE, I log back in, all my builds have been nerfed, and I'm stuck with a bunch of gear for a gutted build I used to enjoy playing, and end up just leaving shortly after. Starting new leagues with no leveling gear is a non-starter for me as well.

I think most gamers prefer D3's loot system to PoE's loot system + trade based economy. If D4 becomes a thing, I don't believe that's going to change. Unlike GGG, Blizzard actually listens when the overwhelming majority says something. D3 currently is light years better than the game was near release. It's a complete night and day difference. The D3 I really hated was the release window D3.

If you're one of those people who played D3 at release, hated it, and haven't touched it since, try it again and you might be surprised how much better the game is now.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 25, 2017, 11:47:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info