Scorching Ray getting stuck

Sometimes Scorching Ray gets stuck somehow and will not stop unless pressing the button (possibly more than once) again. It also locks the charcter strangely. There may be other weird things happening as well.
The behaviour is different from the key physically being stuck (== pressing it down continuously) so it is unlikely to be a keyboard problem or anything of the sort.
I also currently do not use any macros or anything of the sort.

It appears to be an old bug as I found some video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBYSHnd32bs
Not 100% sure it is the same problem though.

This is quite dangerous in HC as I loose control of my character until I get it unstuck somehow.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2018, 11:38:22 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Old thread (including recent post/s) which probably describes the same problem: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1825049

--

Happened again in a situation which allowed me to experiment:

Using other skills (while SR is stuck) works to some degree at least:
The mana goes down for all skill uses including the skills which dont work.
The proper skill use animations are not played even for the working skills - but not 100% sure on that.
Casting Orb of Storms (have linked with Arcane Surge) triggers Arcane Surge which shows in the buff bar. But Orb of Storms itself does not show up on the (client) screen.
Flame Dash works. It (usually) changes position to the target and the burning trail shows correctly.
Whirling Blades either does not work or it does not show on the client.
Righteous Fire cast works but the client only displays the self burn and not the circle. The burning-others-circle does however work. It is just not displayed.
Blood Rage works.
Enduring Cry does not work - at least not visually.
Weapon Switch works.

--

Trying to get it unstuck:
Pressing the Scorching Ray hotkey once (and then releasing it right away) sometimes changes the beam position. Sometimes it teleports (at least it shows like that on client) the character to some other spot. Sometimes it does nothing. I could not get it unstuck by pressing the key once and then releasing it.
I was able to get it unstuck by spamming the key.

--

Screenshots:

Original bug position:
After multiple flame dash uses:
Happened again - did some more testing:
There is strong indication that this happens only on the client. Everything actually works on the server. Including Whirling Blades and Enduring Cry. The "stuck" Scorching Ray animation does no damage. So it only exists on the client too.
Pressing the hotkey and keeping the hotkey pressed for a while does not fix it.
Repeatedly quickly pressing the hotkey fixed it in this instance as well.

--

Added /bug report #2953307664. Screenshot:

Forgot to mention - may be relevant: I am using lockstep mode and have low ping. Did not notice correlation with ping spikes either.
Yes, had this happen several times, about 10 times, during my lvling to 81.
Made me even change keyboard and clean the old one, blamed it at first on a stuck key, untill I realised the skill wasn't using mana.

During stuck animation unable to move, but instead character skips to a new position after several seconds.
Win10, DX11

Also have crashes due to SR (and not when using other characters without SR)
SR has various problems, too bad I like it so much
Last edited by Sharkeys on Aug 19, 2017, 8:31:07 AM
Also having the same animation lock problem. win 10/dx11

only solution i've found is to town portal out. I can flame dash around, but the SR animation is locked on and i can not move normally.
Happened many times now in an 'Armoury' map. Was first (and probably last) time doing this map in this league. Maybe has to do with the many walls in the layout - dont know.

--

Using Win7 and DirectX 9Ex - the others dont work properly for me.
Several times in Barrows map but always in the 'tomb' parts - so there is indication it has something to do with obstacles/walls.
Found reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6ssd81/bug_scorching_ray_soft_lock_bug_couldnt_turn_it/

Somebody describes a method for reproduction - did not verify if this is true:

"
This bug has been in for a while. I know how to recreate it within the Lab. if you stand on the hole where Izaro is taken back down between fights and use a channeled skill then when it forces you to the side during the animation of Izaro leaving it will lock you in this state. You can fix it by unsocketing the gem I've found.
Not fixed with latest patch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info