error code what does this mean

the D3D device has a non-zero reference count,meaning some objects were not released.Failed resetting Direct3d device objects. DXUT Createdevice failed.
Are you on a laptop (or desktop) with an onboard Intel video chipset?

If so, the error is telling you that your video card is bad. (as in not powerful enough, not broken)
Yeah, it sounds like your laptop or PC doesn't meet the necessary system specs. Post the specs of your rig and you'll more than likely get some help to determine what your problem is.
Last edited by RWTD_Burn on Feb 15, 2012, 4:26:17 PM
Hei, having the same problem after last update

I was able to play the game, but now it keeps popping up this error.

Note I have Nvidia 520MX. This worked on max settings smoothly.

Thoughts?
Are you running the game from start menu? Directly from client.exe? A shortcut?

I've found that starting the game from different locations as such can cause problems. Launching directly from Client.exe in the folder fixed issues for me.

If this persists you can post a bug report in the bug report forum.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I had the same problem when moving files and folders to my SSD after a re install of the OS. I went into the Path of Exile folder which can be found like so: "C:\Users\Liam\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Redist" And in the Redist folder then is a dxsetup application which will install/ fix the direct X file :) Hope This works for you :)
i been getting same errors and tried the directx fix and that did not work for me either.i am using a 250mb graphics card with 2.0 shader atm so i know i can run this game
Smokems this game only supports Shader version 3.0

Eitherway I've got the exact same problem it says DXUT Createdevice failed, while I only have a dedicated video card in my desktop pc.

In other words I only have the 7870xt in my pc and I can fix it by uninstalling AMD Catalyst 13.6 beta and go back to 13.4 but then it happens again and need to reinstall the drivers to be able to play the game.

My pc specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AM3/AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition 3.7 Ghz (Stock)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GByte DDR3-1600 CAS10
Graphics Card: Club3D Radeon HD 7870XT JokerCard 2048 MB
Sound Card: Logitech Z-Cinéma 2.1 Speakers (USB) 180 Watts RMS
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster EX2220
Sounds like a DirectX problem. Make sure you have your latest Video Card Drivers, and make sure you are using an acceptable version of DirectX with proper settings installed.

If the game requires a version of DirectX that your Video Card does not support...well...time to get a new one!
My directX is always up to date and I can play the game normal one time, close down want to restart the game then it says that error, but I reinstalled windows, since it was time anyway :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info