[Discussion] Api sniper fest vs the regular player-base

"
majna wrote:
Tbh the problem is largely one of perception.

There are many scam low ball offers for the sought after items, which are there in order to entice people to list at that price or lower, so that the scammers you refer to snatch them and resell. Do not expect to buy at that price.

By the way - try to use the web socket version for live search, it is much faster. I have happened to buy items before the price fixers did.

p.s. As boring as this may be, this behavior is also present in real life, you cannot stop people from benefiting from the the ignorance of others.

I am usually participating in trading quite a bit and I also know that at the start of a league prices are different. Nontheless things seem to be way over the top this time around. Even very basic jewelry is not available below 30 or more Chaos. I also watched how things progressed on poe.trade last night for an hour. The "normal" prices are not lowball offers. Those items just really got sniped within seconds after appearing and then got relisted by the same handful of persons a couple of minutes later at crazy prices. Lowballing usually occurs for key items that are easy to flip like currency, maps, uniques. I am talking about rare items with all kinds of different rolls though. That kind of sniping seems to be new to me.

Not even speaking of some low tier uniques that you drop and vendor tons of during a league costing several Exalts now (Baron) all of a sudden. I realize the build is one of the biggest factors in the Meta right now, but that still doesn't justify such a drastic price jump. Not even Mathil can do that to a shit tier unique ;)

@Zeritas: Thanks a lot for the insight. Hopefully that convinces the critics.
"
Burgingham wrote:

Not even speaking of some low tier uniques that you drop and vendor tons of during a league costing several Exalts now (Baron) all of a sudden. I realize the build is one of the biggest factors in the Meta right now, but that still doesn't justify such a drastic price jump.

Apparently it's not low tier anymore.

People have been reporting that boop frequency for The Baron is on Shav's level. GGG probably changed it to T1 rarity before 3.0 went live.
I witnessed a literal +20 and +50 chaos re-post of the SAME Belly of the beast this morning. Went from 90 to 160 in a span of 2-3min...these people are worse than blood-sucking parasites.

Resists trolls
Casts Joy
Ninja looter
Spreads tar when tickled
Tbh, GGG can easily fix this. To gain access to the https://www.pathofexile.com/developer/docs/api-resource-public-stash-tabs you need a API key from GGG. GGG should limit this to sites they trust like poe.trade .

Imagine if everyone was using their own software to query the API. GGG api would take thousands more requests than it is taking now and fail miserably.
"
Stybbe wrote:

Imagine if everyone was using their own software to query the API. GGG api would take thousands more requests than it is taking now and fail miserably.

This exact thing happened at launch.

Extensive stash API usage contributed to several server crashes that we had at the start of the league, confirmed by Chris on reddit.

This shit is out of control.
Last edited by DramatikMan on Aug 8, 2017, 8:17:33 AM
3rd party software crashing servers on launch.

Whom makes Said 3rd party software ?

Whom Benefits from Repeated Server Crashes ?

Only Certain Players using said Software ?

Can Said Software be used at will, by groups or bots to Shut down servers at will ?

Is said software being used to give a select few an unfair advantage over others ?

Can Knowing when servers go live first, give a select few a unfair advantage to things like races ?

Can a select few using said software price fix and Ruin the economy of the Game ?

Just few questions that came to me, not all mind you. But ones I feel are honest questions and should be answered.
"
Roenin wrote:
3rd party software crashing servers on launch.

Whom makes Said 3rd party software ?

Whom Benefits from Repeated Server Crashes ?

Only Certain Players using said Software ?

Can Said Software be used at will, by groups or bots to Shut down servers at will ?

Is said software being used to give a select few an unfair advantage over others ?

Can Knowing when servers go live first, give a select few a unfair advantage to things like races ?

Can a select few using said software price fix and Ruin the economy of the Game ?

Just few questions that came to me, not all mind you. But ones I feel are honest questions and should be answered.

Valid questions, but GGG really don't care.

Trade improvements are nothing but a meme at this point.
I have made this point in the past here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1876745

"
suszterpatt wrote:
Let's say we have 2 players. Bob the Botter is running a fully automated trade bot. Trevor the Trader is running an indexer that lets him jump on good deals within seconds of them being advertised.

You're saying that what Bob's doing is wrong, but what Trevor's doing is fine.

My point is that to any outside observer, what Bob and Trevor are doing is completely indistinguishable. They both enable price fixing in exactly the same way, and have the exact same effect on the economy. So by what measure is Trevor in the clear when Bob isn't?

The rationalizations were hilarious.
"
DramatikMan wrote:
"
Burgingham wrote:

Not even speaking of some low tier uniques that you drop and vendor tons of during a league costing several Exalts now (Baron) all of a sudden. I realize the build is one of the biggest factors in the Meta right now, but that still doesn't justify such a drastic price jump.

Apparently it's not low tier anymore.

People have been reporting that boop frequency for The Baron is on Shav's level. GGG probably changed it to T1 rarity before 3.0 went live.

Nothing like that indicated in the notes, it's just folks being a bunch of blood sucking leeches due to the meta change and them hoarding items most builds use essentially trying to inflate the price. It sucks but GGG deserves a clap for causing this issue.
"
DramatikMan wrote:
"
Stybbe wrote:

This exact thing happened at launch.

Extensive stash API usage contributed to several server crashes that we had at the start of the league, confirmed by Chris on reddit.

This shit is out of control.

This was on account of the Ladder API not the Stash API. There was no limiter set on calls against the ladder data and many people were using apps to track their placement at extremely high intervals which caused stability issues with the realm.

As for this topic itself, don't get mad that you couldn't be the first person to grab a low priced item. In any other format it would be the exact same situation unless the game itself dictated prices of items for you on a public market. Buy low/sell high has always been a way to make currency; if you are willing to put in the effort to grab these items and run third party applications than you'll reap the rewards.

Also within regards to the earlier suggestion to "limit API use to trusted sites". How exactly will other services become available as the game grows if only poe.trade has access to this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info