[3.2] That Doomfletch Life | 3.1 VIDEO GUIDE UP! Tree/PoB | All Content | Reviews

"
philophil wrote:
"
KiadawP wrote:

About Vaal pact being nerd, I think it's okay if they tone down damage of mobs, which is out of control. You shouldn't need to have max life in every jewels, and high tier life roll on every gear to be viable in end game. Massive investment in life should only be reserved for tanks.

Well i think the VP nerf is 1 of the best thing that has happen to poe so far. It made boss design very retarded, there was basicly 2 option either something u outleech or 1 shot mechanic. I feel like the VP nerf will force ppl to play less full potato n actually they might have to focus on boss fight to go trought them. Beside i think bringing back acuity has 1 of the chased unique is awesome we need more of those in this game. Ppl might not like it but its a great thing to have in the game. It put a goal for ppl to have X item n when they do get it they feel alot more powerful has oppose to rightnow everything feels meh.

I kind of see your point with facetanking bosses, and completely agree with the statement on the lvl/difficulty of the Guardians/Shaper. Even though VP builds aren't THE uncontested go-to-bosskillers. Its rare to see a VP build going for endgamecontent on HC and for SC there are alternative (and cheaper) builds as well. Its just the mix of mapping/bossing with enjoyable AoE skills which made the VP builds so desirable.

Speaking of bossfights:
I'm not claming an expert knowledge of this topic and thus may miss some builds. But IMO there are quite a bit different boss fighting strategies:

1) facetanking - most famous examples being barrage, howa ST and molten strike
2) precasting (or precasting and facetanking) - BladeFlurry, BV, GC mines, other mines.
3) semafking/afking and letting the minions do the dmg (spectres/summoners, golemancers)
4) totems (AW,...)
5) HC stuff with high lifepool/survivabilty like LLRF/SR, ED
6) berserker VP nonsence (doing no dmg with e.g. Sunder with high hitrate but 5+ APS and leeching through everything) - nerfed for good reasons.
7) random all-around-builds doing bosses

I'd agree with 1) doing more dmg and needing less skill (for SC) compared to 4-5,7) The downside being the much higher entry budget of 1).
If you look at 2) (partially, things like BV may have a hard time given the tiny AoE) and 3) the skills aren't really worse than 1) for bosses and far less reliant on leech/instant leech. In particular 3) is completely unaffected by it. A lot of builds from 2-3) need virtually no skill as well. The question with a build like golemancer is not "what mechanics are in Bossfight XY" but "where can I die to make my golems do the dmg faster".

Imo it's very difficult to balance the game around all the different ways to kill bosses. I don't even see 1) stronger than 2-3) right now and with VP gone it's 2-3) all the way with the current infos. We don't know anything about the new bosses yet, so it might turn out completely different.

Then again: I'm even ok with nerfing 1) for bosses and leaving 2-3) as they are. It may become a problem but may be a good thing as well - time will tell.

Things I'm more worried about are regular mapping / beyond and similar encounters with lvl 90+ (or 95+). The burst damage potential and the damage variance of certain enemies is quite extreme.
Again, I'm not talking about stupid things like running an ele reflect map as a full ele build with yugul only - fine with making this one harder. In my personal view, things like beyond T11s should be reliably farmable w/o many deaths/difficulties by a dedicated mapfarming/clear speed build which is overgeared/overleveled for this content (let's say well invested 40ex+ and lvl 95 with a good passive tree + flasks).
There are ofc other opinions on the topic, just wanted to clarify that my concern wasn't that much about bossing.
Last edited by juerk on Nov 18, 2017, 6:43:11 PM
"
juerk wrote:

I kind of see your point with facetanking bosses, and completely agree with the statement on the lvl/difficulty of the Guardians/Shaper. Even though VP builds aren't THE uncontested go-to-bosskillers. Its rare to see a VP build going for endgamecontent on HC and for SC there are alternative (and cheaper) builds as well. Its just the mix of mapping/bossing with enjoyable AoE skills which made the VP builds so desirable.

Speaking of bossfights:
I'm not claming an expert knowledge of this topic and thus may miss some builds. But IMO there are quite a bit different boss fighting strategies:

2) precasting (or precasting and facetanking) - BladeFlurry, BV, GC mines, other mines.
3) semafking/afking and letting the minions do the dmg (spectres/summoners, golemancers)
4) totems (AW,...)
6) berserker VP nonsence (doing no dmg with e.g. Sunder with high hitrate but 5+ APS and leeching through everything) - nerfed for good reasons.

I'd agree with 1) doing more dmg and needing less skill (for SC) compared to 4-5,7) The downside being the much higher entry budget of 1).
If you look at 2) (partially, things like BV may have a hard time given the tiny AoE) and 3) the skills aren't really worse than 1) for bosses and far less reliant on leech/instant leech. In particular 3) is completely unaffected by it. A lot of builds from 2-3) need virtually no skill as well. The question with a build like golemancer is not "what mechanics are in Bossfight XY" but "where can I die to make my golems do the dmg faster".

Imo it's very difficult to balance the game around all the different ways to kill bosses. I don't even see 1) stronger than 2-3) right now and with VP gone it's 2-3) all the way with the current infos. We don't know anything about the new bosses yet, so it might turn out completely different.

Then again: I'm even ok with nerfing 1) for bosses and leaving 2-3) as they are. It may become a problem but may be a good thing as well - time will tell.

Things I'm more worried about are regular mapping / beyond and similar encounters with lvl 90+ (or 95+). The burst damage potential and the damage variance of certain enemies is quite extreme.
Again, I'm not talking about stupid things like running an ele reflect map as a full ele build with yugul only - fine with making this one harder. In my personal view, things like beyond T11s should be reliably farmable w/o many deaths/difficulties by a dedicated mapfarming/clear speed build which is overgeared/overleveled for this content (let's say well invested 40ex+ and lvl 95 with a good passive tree + flasks).
There are ofc other opinions on the topic, just wanted to clarify that my concern wasn't that much about bossing.

I know many people here hated the very mentioned of Diablo 3, but D3 has far far better combat balance.
There are far far less WTF death like PoE, half of my deathm I have no idea why I died, horrible mods don't roll together, no reflect, no sudden ice/fire/stone drop from above while you picking loot. 'Bombs' don't explode at same time, & secondary effect/ground efefct have a slow incrase in DOT so you can get off in time.

Trash mobs do not fall like nominos in higher diff so you have to have crowd control, & bosses don't die in 1 min, so you need sustainable recovery, & yes, D3 has no leech.

YOu can't facetank bosses in D3 (higher diff) until the boss died, but bosses also normally don't one shot you, You need to move quite a fair bit to recover life & resources. There is no big advanatges of range vs melee, since there are better damage migration for melee as well. So it a matter of gameplay style. The balance is simple but actually more elegent. Beat the map or rift within time limit, (you lose time when you died, & time penalty increase with each death), so you just balance between offense vs defence.
Last edited by KiadawP on Nov 18, 2017, 11:44:06 PM
@Ahfack

I am a new poe player and old arpg player (going into my forth decade of life)
just wanna say thank you for the build or, to phrase it better, for the indepth guide
it helped me to understand a lot about the game
hope this build survives 3.1 or at least i can carry it to standard and develop further my char

as an old arpg player i cant understand that you "cant" commit to your char for more than 2-3 months in this game

the fact is that with limited time frames most ppl choose what is cookie cutter build each season
why make it harder when you can run something simple with the same or more rewards?
for me this is not diversity

anyway thanks again for your work
Last edited by Sir_Firvain on Nov 20, 2017, 3:33:05 PM
"
Sir_Firvain wrote:
@Ahfack

I am a new poe player and old arpg player (going into my forth decade of life)
just wanna say thank you for the build or, to phrase it better, for the indepth guide
it helped me to understand a lot about the game
hope this build survives 3.1 or at least i can carry it to standard and develop further my char

as an old arpg player i cant understand that you "cant" commit to your char for more than 2-3 months in this game

the fact is that with limited time frames most ppl choose what is cookie cutter build each season
why make it harder when you can run something simple with the same or more rewards?
for me this is not diversity

anyway thanks again for your work

We're about the same age then :D You're just a bit older than me. Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, league is great for starting out and building your characters. Standard is great for min-maxing, finishing your character, and investing your currency/items into something that will hopefully allow it to grow. HC and SSF also have their places as adding a bit more challenge once the game starts to feel a bit too easy :)
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
"
KiadawP wrote:
"
juerk wrote:

Speaking of bossfights:

4) totems (AW,...)

I know many people here hated the very mentioned of Diablo 3, but D3 has far far better combat balance.
There are far far less WTF death like PoE, half of my deathm I have no idea why I died, horrible mods don't roll together, no reflect, no sudden ice/fire/stone drop from above while you picking loot. 'Bombs' don't explode at same time, & secondary effect/ground efefct have a slow incrase in DOT so you can get off in time.

Trash mobs do not fall like nominos in higher diff so you have to have crowd control, & bosses don't die in 1 min, so you need sustainable recovery, & yes, D3 has no leech.

YOu can't facetank bosses in D3 (higher diff) until the boss died, but bosses also normally don't one shot you, You need to move quite a fair bit to recover life & resources. There is no big advanatges of range vs melee, since there are better damage migration for melee as well. So it a matter of gameplay style. The balance is simple but actually more elegent. Beat the map or rift within time limit, (you lose time when you died, & time penalty increase with each death), so you just balance between offense vs defence.

Yeah, I was standing outside a video game store at midnight in order to get D3 the moment it came out. 2 weeks later, I was bored af then just focused on PoE. I've heard good things now, but blizzard lost then and won't get me back :D It's okay to talk about D3 though, as long as you're not some idiot IGN interviewer lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx7FKR_vz5c
Barrage 7938dps. it`s normal dps 81 lvl?
Last edited by AdmiralЪ on Nov 21, 2017, 7:09:36 AM
"
AdmiralЪ wrote:

no, low. while asking such questions it's always good idea to link your gear
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Nov 21, 2017, 9:14:37 AM
"
Rupenus wrote:
"
AdmiralЪ wrote:

no, low. while asking such questions it's always good idea to link your gear

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rupenus/characters
3.1 Update?
"
Balantakos wrote:
3.1 Update?

There will be a 3.1 update, but not without a tree or patch notes :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info