Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

GGG has simply lost the plot with this fight, even Machalai wasn't this stupid even though i had many deaths against him, most of his abilities would almost one shot but you could dodge.

Terrible decisions by GGG regarding this fight:

Gating maps behind this boss
Huge aoe- 3rd phase fire covering the whole arena( where am I supposed to run?)
Multiple skills at the same time
Small arena, tanky and swarm of adds

I never rant but this fight is just stupid, tried with melee first, couldn't see most of his abilities kept dying, 2nd toon ranged found it a bit more easier seeing his abilities but still way too much going on and finally frostbolt totem, ran through all 9 acts with 2 deaths and even Act 10 was a walk in the park then I get to Kitava. Totems get raped by adds, totems dont fire at Boss from the back and totems cant survive most his abilities which are always going on. good job on reducing totem life /s#

Sorry for the wall of text.
"
Emphasy wrote:
Honestly you shouldn't be at 2k HP at Kitava, if you are you made a mistake potentially. Because with 2k HP many other bosses would likely be very terrifying as well.

I don't think you understand the concept of "new players" or even old but casual players. Making mistakes is all they will do for the first 200+ hours of playing PoE. As if the complexity of the game is not intimidating for them already, let's spit a next to impossible fight for the grand finale.

I said that I was one-shotted by a random trash mob there on 3,5k HP and I know how to build my character, I know how to craft properly my gear, I've been playing this game more or less from the beginning. On 3,5k-4k HP you can easily run yellow maps without worries. This kind of preparation and gear is literally impossible for someone who plays casually or is completely new to the game. Hell, it was difficult for me to get it since I enjoy playing SSF and without trading you can easily hit a brick wall.

The fight is simply broken. Tbfh the entire Act 10 is pretty shitty with all these spectral throw mobs already hitting like a truck. There is somewhat a learning curve up until Act 9 and then you hit Act 10 and suddenly realize that you should've picked like 70 points in HP nodes. And this might not help like I said if you're playing SSF you have access only to 60-65 pre-maps gear which is crap. Keep the mechanics of the fight but tone down the damage a little bit, it's stupid to get one-shotted by trash mobs when you simply have no way of mitigating this due to being stuck on this boss instead of gearing in maps and coming to kill him later.
Last edited by Drakaris on Aug 10, 2017, 12:05:34 PM
"
Drakaris wrote:
"
Emphasy wrote:
Honestly you shouldn't be at 2k HP at Kitava, if you are you made a mistake potentially. Because with 2k HP many other bosses would likely be very terrifying as well.

The fight is simply broken. Tbfh the entire Act 10 is pretty shitty with all these spectral throw mobs already hitting like a truck. There is somewhat a learning curve up until Act 9 and then you hit Act 10 and suddenly realize that you should've picked like 70 points in HP nodes. And this might not help like I said if you're playing SSF you have access only to 60-65 pre-maps gear which is crap. Keep the mechanics of the fight but tone down the damage a little bit, it's stupid to get one-shotted by trash mobs when you simply have no way of mitigating this due to being stuck on this boss instead of gearing in maps and coming to kill him later.

Holy this is exactly my experience.
First character in this game (i found out about POE when 3.0 hit from Zizaran's stream), and everything was OK, right up until spectral throw in act4/5, and act 10 spectral throws.
Im playing Sunder Beserker, maxed ele res, 20% chaos res, and these things rip me apart if theres more than 3 of them.

It took me 12 deaths to get through the ravaged square to each connection, 5 for torched courts, and when walking in to Desecrated Chambers, i get oneshot by a random rare mob spawning from a Harbinger.

ACT10 IS BULL for new players :/
"
kalbright wrote:
"
have u killed merciless malachai in 3 days of league? malachai is very stupid boss when u dont have gear

Except, now in 3.0, you are required to kill act 10 boss to access maps. so you have to kill a T9 map boss to have access to fight T1 bosses. Typical GGG balance.

welp! back to standard then! ES user on HC and all.
Last edited by Skellimancer on Aug 10, 2017, 7:03:08 PM
SO I managed to kill this fuker yesterday. With 71 frost blade raider (around 15k dps and 3k hp, 50%eva 46%dodge, 30% spell dodge). And I died a lot. Major complains:

1) Multiple stuff which can kill you, all with red color on the red background covered with ton of adds and other graphical sh*t. Pardon my french, but it is a f*cking clusterf*ck of f*cks flying around. I dont like it

2) Those adds during the phase when the hearth is out. They dont one shot me, but melted me in like a second anyway. Guess thats what you get from playing char which relies solely on not getting hit via evasion and dodge, with no physical mitigation except fortitude buff. I think this was the worst and caused most of my deaths.
Has anyone else had problems wit this phase?
Would it be better with basalt flask?

I dont mind the small arena, that could be manageable, or abilities with high damage, just dont try to facetank this fuker. But the combination of small arena and ton of things going around is making the hard hits indistinguishable -> RIP

Killed him with only 1 death and even that was due to getting careless. Totally avoidable. Whole thing took maybe 15 minutes. Just make sure you have enough life and resists, and it shouldn't be too bad.
Died five times to him with a Dodge/Evasion (MoM) Trickster using Essence Drain and Dark Pact/Decay Traps. The heart phases were hard because it's difficult to get an Essence Drain projectile through the adds and running out of flasks at an inopportune moment or not getting out of a telegraphed attack in time because I got distracted by something else is what killed me.

Something with better mitigation/sustainability than my build shouldn't have too much difficulty with Kitava. Should also be noted that the third Labyrinth is easily possible at this time at your level progress. Might tip the scale.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
I killed him this night in HC as an ED evasion at level 67(3.9k HP; 1% phys reduction; capped elemental ;3% chaos res and about 8k dot) and it was the first time i was fighting this thing( but I looked videos before).

I think the key thing in this fight is only YOU and nothing else. What that means? You have to know your limits at dodging stuff and you have to portal out as many times as necessary when you think you're overwhelmed. I seriously think that you can't do this fight without using a portal at least 1 or 2 times cause sometimes things overlap in a very bad way and you NEED to reset the fight ( or at least reset the ground :p). One other thing is the deadly X slam that you absolutely need to dodge but it can hide under other stuff AND you can't see it if it starts beyond the edge of the map. So when the ground is covered just reset the fight.

About my fight i must admit that i started to cheese it when he was about 1/3 of his health. I used about 10 to 15 portals cause it was very stressful at the end and I know that I'm not a very good player so i wasn't taking any risks. But I used only 1 portal to eat about half his health so I guess I was OK.

As an Evasion character using whirling blades, the minion phase was really the relaxing part of the fight. The thing you need to know is that there are 1 then 2 and finally 3 unique monsters that deals a lot of damage and one of them is ranged. So you can't really stay in place in this phase or you risk a swing from a melee one + projectiles from the other ( these projectiles are similar to the trash mobs projectiles). Whirling blades + faster attacks+ fortify seemed to work for me in this phase so i advice it.

My stuff is all SSF because i don't like buying items in leveling.Honestly this fight really made me panic sometimes ( down to 600 hp another time down to 400) and even if i cheesed the end i'm really happy about winning it in HC. This fight is really really really more difficult than the trinity of act 9. Honesly i repeat it one more time : don't try to do this fight without going back to town at least one or two times.
I honestly didn't have that much trouble with him, even when I went in knowingly under geared,
But even I could tell he was a garbage boss fight, and an even worse final act/acts boss fight.
He's is just a copy of your previous fight with him, but without the phases, and new bullet hell skills.
It's a boring dumb slog of a fight.

There's no real phases, just huge area denial damage that is poorly conveyed. He's a complete mess.
So I can see why people have trouble with him being hard to read.

What's worse is that he's a terrible villain. He says nothing, he does nothing.
Even if they were gearing him as a force of nature boss, he's still sucks. Because we never actually see him do anything. For example, being a cannibal god you'd think we'd see him eat somebody right?
Nope.

And all the destruction in the city isn't even his doing, it's his followers. He is little more then a figure head. It's just terrible writing, and even worse execution.

Of course he isn't alone in that the entirety of act 10 is a bloody train wreak.
It just wholesale copies the latter half of act 5, just in reverse order. The changes to tile sets are just mix and matches of already existing content. Even the new enemies blow because they don't actually have any new skills, so they don't actually add anything.

And they bosses are just shitty remixed versions of their previous act 5 self.
It's all regurgitated crap. It was great the first time it did it, but repeating and dumbing down content is just lazy boring garbage.

If you ask me, the entire act needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There is really nothing salvageable here. Least of all Kitava.
Kitava was a pretty painful fight.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info