Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

"
Nenjin wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Nenjin wrote:

If your DPS isn't sky high, then the fight always comes down to 15 minutes of carefully avoiding shit and doing damage while you can.

as opposed to ? standing in one spot just facetanking the boss for 10 minutes ? whats even the point of an epic boss fight if you end up fight him just like any other boss ?

shit even d3 had belial as a similar boss and its one of the bosses in their design that most liked

There's nothing wrong with needing to move during a boss fight. What is wrong is the absurd HP totals where your window to do DPS, due to all the shit on the screen, means the fight takes the average player 20 minutes and they get splattered the first time they make a mistake.

That's not fun. There's a balance between moving to stay alive and getting to do your DPS. GGG top level boss fights have always felt like shit on that front, unless you're the elite 1% with broken DPS. Which is who these kinds of fights have always been aimed at. First there was Piety and she was nasty. Then Dominus was added (and Piety nerfed.) Then Malachai (Dominus nerfed.) Now Kitava, with Malachai nerfed.

Eventually it just becomes easier to say "Ok, I could sweat this fight and "do it right" and spend 10 minutes painfully making sure I don't get hit and doing shit damage all throughout.....or I could just sacrifice my XP, zerg rush the fuck out of it, and finish this god awful fight so I never have to do it again."

Which is how I know I like my boss fights. *sarcasm*

It's not like Dark Souls where when you die it's your fault and you just meticulously learn what the right way to play it, learn your timing marks and all that, feel good when you've done it right. No, PoE boss fights are learning all the attacks, what you have to do right, and then doing it right for 20 minutes straight because "PoE needs a big, epic, lengthy boss fight to end the act that is harder than the next 8 levels of map bosses that come after."
so your problem is with the length of the fight. ok, at least we established that. what is adequate length of the final boss fight to you then ?
5 mins, there abouts. That's about my limit for focused/can't blink clicking before I just say fuck it, blink, relax my hand, die and start the zerg rushing.

I'd take infinite amounts of lethality and one shots if I felt like my DPS was respected by bosses. But it's not. So when you have one shots, and literally doing straight DPS non-stop would take you 4 mins to kill them, and the screen is so full of garbo that you get 1, maybe 2 swings every 30 seconds and spend the rest of your time moving and trying not to die.....that feels like an unbalanced boss fight. And that's been....pretty much all PoE boss fights since beta. Before the swing the nerf hammer after feeling like they've kicked the shit out of the playerbase enough/the 1% have moved on.
"We're pilgrims in an unholy land."
He is too easy. They need to buff him. Badly. :(
Censored.
Knowing GGG doings for few years now, I didn't expected nothing more that highly overturned final content boss.

It was exactly the same with Malachai, except that Malachai fight is easier.

But I haven't expected, that mapping will be barred behind Kitava's fight. Is this for any character or only first in the league?

If former, it's... utter stupidity. Why I can't just go mapping, get few levels and then go back?

The only sensible place to farm now is A10 Reliquiary, which has terrible layout. If I'm to farm 10 level on each character in Reliquary... it's so fu*** boring that it pains.

Anticipation slowly dissipates...
To be honest, I tried this with a 6L Trypanon 2x warchief inquisitor, Kitava was destroyed in under 2 minutes. That was in standard though, and with highly expensive gear, so I'll admit that characters with suboptimal gear might have problems. Still, I don't see how say, a Bringer of Rain gladiator would have any problems with Kitava either, and that build cannot have a single 6-link by design.

The hardest thing in my experience about the new content is not the Kitava fight itself, it's the enemies in act 10. Motherfuckers are really difficult, especially those roaming the Ravaged Square, who throw those spectral axes and those spellcasting ones. A definite, huge spike in difficulty compared to pre 3.0 mooks.
nah keep him as is, minus any bugs of course. After fighting him 10 times you will do it deathless anyways.
The Hyperbomber for 2.6: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1879383
"
kalbright wrote:
"
have u killed merciless malachai in 3 days of league? malachai is very stupid boss when u dont have gear

Except, now in 3.0, you are required to kill act 10 boss to access maps. so you have to kill a T9 map boss to have access to fight T1 bosses. Typical GGG balance.

Well put.
The issue is with hardcore. It is right that the final boss should be very hard, and it is right that the final boss should block access to maps.

There seems to be an idea in the design of this fight that everyone should be forced to finish the game in softcore before playing it in hc, even experienced players that normally never go near sc.

Longer description of problems
I watched all the videos available of the fight before going in, which I also did before the act 9 boss. The act 9 boss was trivial, I didn't even need to use a flask. Kitava looked harder especially with the two whole arena sweep moves (arm and firebreath). But when the arm hit me it didn't even make my health go down. I thought 'ok you are supposed to just be able to tank all the full arena aoe'. Then the fire move hits, on the side I am on so there is no way to get out. RIP.

After that I have a softcore character at that level so I went into the arena and dps the boss down to final stage. Then I stop dealing damage and learn to survive. After about 20 minutes I think I can win the fight 90% of the time without dying (10% of my hc characters will still die to bad luck in the way the effects land).

How was I supposed to know that the fire breath deals 20x as much damage as every other boss ability up to that point? How am I supposed to know what tiny corner of the arena is safe to stand? How was I supposed to recognise the telegraph on the first time (the videos I watched were full of people talking and dying and the sound was not clear).

In short - how is it possible for a hardcore character to win that fight the first time?

In the future there will be proper videos and guides explaining the mechanics but for the first days of the league this is a bit harsh.

My suggestion is that on day 1 of a new boss GGG releases mechanics videos like this series that explain all the boss mechanics in detail.

People will complain about spoilers (so don't watch them :-p) but the options for getting past this for a hardcore player are:
Play softcore till the boss is learned
Play hardcore, die, play softcore till the boss is learned
Wait ~2 weeks until good guides are available
Get extremely lucky

None of those seem like great options
"Quotation confesses inferiority"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
"
randi wrote:
This is an arpg you can outlevel content. ...

Problem is that with overhauled story mode (pre-map content), there are very few good spots to grind some exp or gear. You had Chambers of Sins, Aqueducts and most importantly Dried Lake that were areas that you could stop by and effectively farm for exp or gear whenever you needed. There is no Dried Lake in 3.0 that would get you to maps. There are some barely passable areas in Act 9 and 10 that can be used but they are not ideal.

I also believe PoE is one of few ARPGs where levels do not play overly important role when conquering content. Your skill choices, setup and gear is much more important than few more skill points. You can outlevel content, which definitely happened to me in 3.0 where I was constantly 3 and more levels above area level. I still got into trouble at times because while I over-leveled the content I moved so fast through acts I did not have good enough gear to survive some of those gear checks.
For me Kitava act 10 has been a real pain... i simply derped after it.

Also lunaris and solaris and Gruthkul have been a freaking pain.

All theese 3 fights have some things thing in common :
enemy spells were not dodgeable... at least for me.
enemy spells were barely visible because of the same color of the ground (Kitava act 10 and Gruthkul)
i didnt' have the possibility to recharge flasks (Especially with lunaris and Gruthkul).

I saw some build that simply managed to face tank everything... but i would like the possibility to continue to use my build with proper dodging... I don't pretend to kill stuff fast... i can waste 30 min.. getting aoed by undodgeable crap is not fun...

Avarius, in my opinion, was a really fun fight... managed to kill it in a long fight and enjoyed the fight in general.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info