SSF viable Trickster Freeze pulse/Frostbolt [3.0]

"
pennyyy wrote:
I hope you can do your final update.
This builds looks pretty awesome and I wanted to try ssf softcore next league, at this point Im 99% certain I want to play your build unless something major changes with 3.1.

If I click on the passive tree, it says its an old version but I guess it´s pretty much the same as before?

One quick question (since I don´t really want to play to act 5 four times).
Frostbolt vs. Freezepulse, are there any major differences in handling/playstyle or is this more a personal preference thing.
I did play some Freezepulse back in the day but I can´t really remember much about it :>

e: Im also playing with the idea of elementalist.
Mastermind of discord looks pretty nice, just link your curses with a firespell and penetrate 25% cold dmg (is it worth 4 ascendary points though?).
Liege of Primordial looks pretty nice, 40% increased cold damage and 2 golems with increased buffs.

Instead of the golems you could do Paragon of Calmity for less reflect damage taken, though that seems pretty situational.
Did you encounter many problems with reflect?

With trickster we gain a lot of Mana and ES, do you think its easier to gain damage or survivability in the late game (considering maxed gems and decent selffound gear).

hey, thanks for telling me, this was posted shortly before the release of 3.0. so ill update the tree soon. (although it seems like the tree is still the same as it was, i'll still update it for the release of 3.1 so the message doesn't appear anymore)

when it comes to frostbolt vs. freezepulse:

frostbolt:
-technically lower DPS
-more "AoE" (you can easily cover the screen)

freezepulse:
-technically higher dps AT CLOSE RANGE!!1!
-if you want to transition to crit, freezepulse is a much better choice

as for the last part of your comment I'm not sure if i understand the question correctly, are you asking which is easier to increase with gear ?

anyways, what i wrote in the original guide still stands as far as i'm concerned, you go hierophant for survivability and elementalist for damage, trickster has a nice mix of both.
if you want to go for freezepulse and transition into a crit build later on, you'll want to start with a templar, as inquisitor tends to be the best choice for a crit caster nowadays.
Last edited by freezewindow1 on Nov 20, 2017, 4:21:21 PM
Thanks for your quick response.
Yes, the question was about gear :>

I recently came back to the game after 2 years break and I want to try ssf for the next league.
I think with my first character I will be content to complete the lower tiers of the atlas and farm some gear and currency and then see if maybe can create a new character who is able to do more endgame content.
But maybe I should start with a templar, just in case I like the character so much and find some nice crit gear I can respec into that.

How far have you played this character selffound?

edit: Hierophant has a lot of totem ascendacy stuff, do I still play that self cast then?

e²: sorry to bother you with many questions ^^
Inquisitor doesnt seem too bad to start with neither, it´s gonna be glasscannony but thats ok with softcore and I won't need that many respec points.
I will have only 6 asc points for the longest time, so I take the upper path to pious path and instruments of virtue, respeccing when I have enough crit gear.
Last edited by pennyyy on Nov 22, 2017, 6:57:13 AM
Hi all,
I am 89 now, having tons of fun shattering mobs away, pushing for the lvl90 challenge (which I screwed up last night by 30% exp = 3 deaths in a row on same map boss ...)
In T6 right now, I go through PoB for any drop I feel good, but find no real update, or very low on dps, but drawback on res/life or the reverse
In SSF, so can craft stuff (even I'm not that good)
Any hints to try and improve for end of the league ?

PS : tool tip shows 64k dps - PoB shows 32k
Have 4.5k life and 1.5k ES (from memory)
And I have this staff ready for the 6L - adding Hypothermia (PoB give me 5k increase on 5L)

Whispering Ice seems not buffing dps, looking for Taryn's Shiver or Pledge of Hands (to free the Spell Echo gem)
"
pennyyy wrote:
Thanks for your quick response.
Yes, the question was about gear :>

I recently came back to the game after 2 years break and I want to try ssf for the next league.
I think with my first character I will be content to complete the lower tiers of the atlas and farm some gear and currency and then see if maybe can create a new character who is able to do more endgame content.
But maybe I should start with a templar, just in case I like the character so much and find some nice crit gear I can respec into that.

How far have you played this character selffound?

edit: Hierophant has a lot of totem ascendacy stuff, do I still play that self cast then?

e²: sorry to bother you with many questions ^^
Inquisitor doesnt seem too bad to start with neither, it´s gonna be glasscannony but thats ok with softcore and I won't need that many respec points.
I will have only 6 asc points for the longest time, so I take the upper path to pious path and instruments of virtue, respeccing when I have enough crit gear.

hey, no problem, feel free to ask away :)

i have played the character selffound to level 86 so far.

and yeah, if you feel like starting inquisitor, go for it :)
if you were going for hierophant the ascendancies i would have recommended are :
Divine Guidance, Sanctuary of Thought, Conviction of power

"
Pimousse wrote:
Hi all,
I am 89 now, having tons of fun shattering mobs away, pushing for the lvl90 challenge (which I screwed up last night by 30% exp = 3 deaths in a row on same map boss ...)
In T6 right now, I go through PoB for any drop I feel good, but find no real update, or very low on dps, but drawback on res/life or the reverse

And I have this staff ready for the 6L - adding Hypothermia (PoB give me 5k increase on 5L)

Whispering Ice seems not buffing dps, looking for Taryn's Shiver or Pledge of Hands (to free the Spell Echo gem)

honestly, if you're PUSHING for lvl 90 this is not the ideal build, this is more of a SSF league starter, or a starter build for newer players.

i'm not sure realmshaper is a good upgrade over the staff you currently use, taryns shiver might be tho.
when it comes to support gems feel free to switch them around to your liking, i'll update the build soon anyways.

If you want to further increase your DPS you might want to get the gems set up in the way i describe in the build guide, triggering arcane surge and such
"
Pimousse wrote:
Hi all,

Those boots and the moonstone ring are pretty bad.
In ssf I usually alch a lot of twostones and do the 3 for a prismatic recipe.
Its not too hard to get 40-50 dex on a decent ring and get some more survivability by more +life on gear in general.

For more damage consider getting your support gem to 20q with the gcp recipe.
For example with faster casting you lose a little dps for like an hour but a level 10, 20 quality faster casting is already on par with pure lvl 20 faster casting, only getting better from there.

If you are up for a risk you could also use a vaal orb on your freeze pulse, but possibly losing one level or some quality.
Last edited by pennyyy on Nov 24, 2017, 3:54:29 PM
I just saw pohx is actually running pretty much what I wanted to do (but obv I dont plan with vaal pact) with a crit fp inquisitor in the 10 day race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJEv90G54ZQ

I do like the input I get from his updates, with a dagger and shield charge (+fortify) instruments of virtue becomes pretty insane.

Last edited by pennyyy on Nov 28, 2017, 10:33:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info