I Broke Kraityn

Not sure if he ate one too many ice novas, or shocked himself stupid on tempest shield, but Kraityn just gave up on trying to kill me during this latest visit. I messed around with him a bit before ending it in the video.

Video: Kraityn Surrenders

I noticed this used to happen on my stun spec'd 2h mace marauder when spamming ground slam on big groups of monsters back in 0.9.5. Some of them would just give up and let me have my way with them.

*edit*

It happened again, oh noes!

A Rhoa quit fighting this time near the end of a Chaos Beach run. Bug is not isolated to Kraityn it seems. Only skills I was using were Elemental Weakness, Lightning Strike, Tempest Shield, and Molten Shell. I made sure the Rhoa was actually broken and not just out of sync before killing it.

Video: Rhoa Surrenders
Last edited by Lo4f on Feb 23, 2012, 10:59:15 PM
Thanks for the video! Not the first report of him doing this - It seems one of his animations takes an infinitely long time to cast. Will find out which one it is, and get him back in the fight!
Balance & Design
After searching the forums again I found one of the reports you are referring to and saw a comment that reinforces what I was thinking:

"
KurzedMetal wrote:
This happend to me 2 of 3 times i fought versus him.
I think both of the times i used Freezing Pulse to kill him. Maybe it is related to the Freeze debuff

I was spamming Ice Nova and froze the shit outta him and his group of delinquents. It was during the thawing process that he bugged out.
I tried freezing him and that didn't cause the problem, but maybe something else is going on... I've tried stunning him, letting him attack me for a long time, repeatedly freezing him, you name it! There must be something else going on!
Balance & Design
Put in 53 attempts on Kraityn trying to recreate this bug. On run 42 it looked like he was bugged, but the burn DoT finished him off too quickly for me to be sure.

My routine was:

Buff tempest shield; buff molten shell; start the encounter; elemental weakness; lightning strike Kraityn (to ensure he was weakened to fire in case tempest shield didn't zap him); molten shell explodes; try to time ice nova to hit immediately before or after molten shell explodes; finish off any survivors.

The conclusions I drew from the 42nd attempt was that the synergy from Kraityn potentially getting shocked stacked, Elemental Equilibrium debuffing fire 20%, curse reducing his resists 35%, and Molten Shell critically hitting for near its maximum range could stun him long enough for me to land a critical frost nova and freeze him. Problem being the ignite damage killed him the one time I was able to get both to crit.

I read there was a low priority issue where monsters perform the next action in their que after being frozen (I notice this as I run by frozen mobs they will turn towards me still frozen). Maybe there is something happening where getting frozen while stunned (or stunned while frozen) causes a problem with their action que.
I've already froze Kraityn like that, today I've similarly achieved that on other mobs, but i don't know what I've done. I'm also using elemental equilibrium and i mostly attack with spark/freezing pulse.

http://imgur.com/mDSdZ
http://imgur.com/hiOsP
It happened again, oh noes!

A Rhoa quit fighting this time near the end of a Chaos Beach run. Bug is not isolated to Kraityn it seems. Only skills I was using were Elemental Weakness, Lightning Strike, Tempest Shield, and Molten Shell. I made sure the Rhoa was actually broken and not just out of sync before killing it.

Video: Rhoa Surrenders
This happened to me while fighting Brutus on Cruel in a 2-person party. I don't recall if we froze him (we probably did). Sorry I didn't get a screenshot or anything.
It's important to differentiate between a frozen animation, and them just being out of sync with actions on the client. If they're out of attack sync, that means that if you stand there doing nothing, Brutus will still damage you, because you're being hurt on the server. This can happen when they are stunned. The Kraityn video above shows a different scenario, of Kraityn's animation being completely frozen, and the player never taking any damage.
Balance & Design
"
Rory wrote:
It's important to differentiate between a frozen animation, and them just being out of sync with actions on the client. If they're out of attack sync, that means that if you stand there doing nothing, Brutus will still damage you, because you're being hurt on the server. This can happen when they are stunned. The Kraityn video above shows a different scenario, of Kraityn's animation being completely frozen, and the player never taking any damage.

I'm pretty sure he was completely frozen. I was up close (melee) and taking 0 damage. Both of us saw it. At about 3/4 health, he ceased moving and attacking, and neither of us took any damage for the rest of the battle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info