[3.0] Life based Voltaxic Rift Barrage (project abandoned)

WARNING:
This was my work in progress build, however, I'm not happy with the end result. While the build can clear tier 15 and possibly 16 (minus the boss) semi-reliably, it feels squishy and doesn't have the clearspeed that I expected. After testing it with Coil, Cherrubims, Hyrri's, many different bows including Opus, Lioneyes, Voltaxic, spending 200 Regret orbs trying out different setups, and different gem combinations including Lightning Arrow, Shrapnel Shot, Barrage, I can't get it to work as I wanted to.
What's worse, Deadye, Raider or Assassin version would be much stronger (estimated 25% more dps), which means I failed in providing something that would work specifically for the Occultist.

I will leave the thread as it is. If someone wants to continue this idea, or make an updated guide based on this one, feel free to do so but would be nice if you gave the credit.

I won't be updating this thread, gonna start working on something else.

Having said all that, the build works, and videos (however laggy and low quality) prove it, if anyone wants to make this character!

Introduction:
Spoiler
After playing Blade Flurry characters for the past 2 leagues (see 2.6 Death Knight build, and 2.6-3.0 Azure Knight build) I've decided to make something new I could play around with - an archer character. Since I hate leveling, I was looking for a way of making at least t15 viable Witch instead, as I already had a spare Necromancer at level 90.

Many hours spent in PoB pointed me towards Signal Fire conversion builds to reach optimal dps values, but these characters suffered from a major flaw - they all could be made vastly superior with other Ascendancies. So my Chaos based experiments begun, and Lolth, the Lady of Chaos, was born.

This build utilizes no poison, and no DoT mechanics, which are complete garbage in post 3.0 era.

Pros and Cons:
Spoiler
Pros:
- Good clearspeed
- Safe playstyle
- Reflect rare safe (yet to try elemental reflect map)
- Off-meta/hipster build

Cons:
- Not the greatest bosskiller
- Leveling with a bow is hard from Witch starting position
- Cannot do no leech maps

Videos:
Spoiler
WARNING: Plenty of lag and low fps as my laptop is ancient. If you gonna comment on low quality/lag/etc, don't bother watching. Videos are to show survivability/dps/clearspeed, nothing else.

Shaped Strand - Vulnerability, Enfeeble, Nemesis, Bloodlines.
Shaped Underground River - easy mods (Extra fire, Sea Witches, Inc. accuracy, Bloodlines).

Ascendancy, Passives and Bandits:
Spoiler
Ascendancy:
Profane Bloom: Great leveling help, explosions quickly destroy packs and enemies take 10% more damage.
Forbidden Power: Free Power Charge generation and extra charge, great node for a crit build.
Malediction: This lets us run both Projectile Weakness for damage and Enfeeble for survivability.
Void Beacon: Chaos penetration, good dps boost.

Bandits:
2.6 - Oak, Kraityn, Alira
3.0 - Alira

Example tree level 9.

Gear, Flasks, Jewels:
Spoiler

This build is focusing on Chaos damage, to make the most out of the Occultist Ascendancy, meaning that Voltaxic is the one and only choice for this build.

Starkonja is preferred over Rat's Nest, as it provides a good life bonus, however, you can always use the latter if you want more movement speed. Devoto's Devotion is another good alternative.

Rings, Amulet, Belt and Quiver are all rare. Flat lightning damage, Elemental Damage with Attacks, Crit Multiplier are best for scaling your dps. Other then that, we are looking for the usual life+resists mods.

I'm using Hyrri's at the moment, as I've tried to make a high dodge/spell dodge based character first, however, more damage from saved points and flat life seems like a better choice. I believe other great choices would be Queen of the Forest (life, evasion, resists, movement speed), Cherrubim's Maleficience (life, evasion and damage) or even Lioneye's Vision (life and damage).

Budget grade flasks:

One anti-freeze flask, One anti-bleed flask as per usual.
For damage and speed, we pick Silver flask, and also Sulphur/Diamond/Atziri's Promise for damage.
Dying Sun is also a possibility if you can afford it, instead of the Sulphur flask.

Gem Links:
Spoiler
Main Attack:
Barrage + Added Lightning + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Elemental Focus + Slower Projectiles
Gems listed in order of importance. For general mapping or pack clearing, use Chain instead of Slower Projectiles.

Auras and Mana reservation:
Herald of Thunder
Flat Lightning damage from Herald is very good. I might still experiment in the future with Curse on Hit and something instead Elemental Focus, but I have yet to decide if it's worth it and what else would I run on my mana.
Blasphemy + Projectile Weakness + Enfeeble + Enlighten 2-3
PW being the best offensive curse, and Enfeeble being the best defensive curse. If you really want to run another offensive curse, Assassin's Mark would be the best pick.

Movement:
Blink Arrow + Faster Projectiles
Nice utility in some maps of Lab. If you find a spare socket, add Faster Attacks to the mix.

Buffs and Totem:
Ice Golem
Best working in Cast When Damage Taken setup, so you don't have to waste your time.

Blood Rage
One gem wonder, free Frenzy Charges during mapping. Additional attack speed also helps.

Spell Totem + Wither + Faster Casting + Increased Duration
This allows you to stack Wither 20 times on a boss if you have 20/20 gems (+140% Chaos damage taken). Otherwise, it is still hefty 15 stacks, which translates to 105% increased Chaos damage taken./spoiler]
My build guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2180198

Taking a break from PoE, catch me up in Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/signup?referrerId=5b625847f2f2eb0ea0750322
Use above link for free booster when you sign up! :)
Last edited by Bristoling on Jul 31, 2017, 4:04:35 PM
Last bumped on Jul 30, 2017, 6:41:52 AM
Already psyched by the build name. The gradations are a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing the build unfold :)
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
"
tomatopotato wrote:
Already psyched by the build name. The gradations are a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing the build unfold :)
Someone from old D&D days? :D

Thread updated, added example Shaped Underground River video with easy mods, please don't mind the lag and freezes :)

edit: also adding Shaped Strand run, will be up very soon.
My build guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2180198

Taking a break from PoE, catch me up in Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/signup?referrerId=5b625847f2f2eb0ea0750322
Use above link for free booster when you sign up! :)
Last edited by Bristoling on Jul 30, 2017, 7:01:01 AM
I grew up on R.A. Salvatore novels :P
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info