[3.0] Glacial Hammer Gladiator

Update with some leveling Infos from Harbinger in the second post.
Updated leveling Infos for Harbinger in the second post and a short discussion on Multistrike vs. Ruthless in the first post.

I don't understand using winter burial in the node next to golem's blood, there is no strength to activate the jewel.
"
Ironfigment wrote:
I don't understand using winter burial in the node next to golem's blood, there is no strength to activate the jewel.

There is one strength node close to the 2h-Wheel (Wrecking Ball/Executioner) and 3 strength nodes on the other side (close to Defiance, including the one above Splitting Strikes) which all count.
Nice build, will try this out for my next character. Did you ever consider using any other class/ascendancy for this build? What is it about Gladiator that makes it superior to other choices (I'm guessing 100% spell block)?
Exactly. The main driver was the free 100% spell block and the additional block chance provided by the nodes between the main ascendancy skills. This allows for restrictions in the main skill tree (e.g. not going on the right side of the tree to take Precise Interception or Weapon Artistry).

Maybe a couple of words on blocking and my experience: I play block-based builds since the beginning of POE. I have the feeling that the builds start to shine (that means: allow you to be lazy) when you reach 70% block/spell block combined with 10k Armour and 5-6k life. Before that, block might be an option under many, but it should not be your only defence, otherwise you will die often or need additional mitigation mechanisms (like in Aegis Aurora builds for example, where you don't need a perfectly high block, but a solid block chance, high AF and medium ES in order to survive).

It is possible to reach the same with other ascendencies but mostly using Reckless Defence jewels (where the downside can be mitigated by using The Brass Dome/Belt of the Deceiver/Indomitable).

If I would try another class, I would probably start as Templer/Inquisitor (but without Resolute Technique, in order to benefit from the crits) or Elementalist, going for ES/CI... Other classes might be feasible as well, but might not reach the same amount of block/spell block, except when using expensive items (e.g. The Red Nightmare, which provides you with a very high additional block chance and endurance charges).

HEYY great post, i always wanted to try a glacial hammer build. Will give it a go.
"
chedrich wrote:
"
Ironfigment wrote:

There is one strength node close to the 2h-Wheel (Wrecking Ball/Executioner) and 3 strength nodes on the other side (close to Defiance, including the one above Splitting Strikes) which all count.

I think I was looking at the tree in your build that you posted in Path of Building where you took a more roundabout way to get down to that part of of tree (you went right at art of the gladiator). I wonder if that method is up to date or is it something you suggest re-specing into at higher levels.
"
Ironfigment wrote:
I think I was looking at the tree in your build that you posted in Path of Building where you took a more roundabout way to get down to that part of of tree (you went right at art of the gladiator). I wonder if that method is up to date or is it something you suggest re-specing into at higher levels.

I usually start taking the direct way, in order to get fast to some important nodes. Later on, when I have Fangs of Frost and Command of Steel (mostly around lvl 85 or so) I do re-spec in the final shape of the tree. The reasoning behind that is that some nodes are more effective than others: for example the damage nodes close to Defiance (12% phys) are less effective than the damage nodes close to Retaliation (10% phys + 3% ats).

So yes, thanks for the observation, I forgot mentioning it in the original post, but one re-spec for a part of the tree is necessary/recommended at higher levels.
I see you haven't picked Iron Reflexes. Many comparable builds do this. What is your reasoning for not taking Iron Reflexes?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info