3.0 Intuitive League Starter [Blade Flurry] Marauder Juggernaut

[Intuitive League Starter Marauder]

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDfbrJjGqk&feature=youtu.be<

[Ascendancy]

Why Juggernaut?

Having easy generation and upkeep of Endurance Charges early in the league means you have free resistances and physical damage mitigation if you stacked them from the tree.
This allows for much easier gearing for new players, specially at the start of a new league when there isn't much currency.
It also comes with buffed Fortify which directly reduces any damage type when hit.
Not being affected by slow means you can save on rolling over maps that have slowing effects like chilled ground and temporal chains.

PoB 5L DPS

PoB 6L DPS

[Ascendancy Order]
Spoiler

1 - Unflinching [Charge generation when hit, and +1 Max End. Charge]
2 - Unrelenting [Charge sustain and damage mitigation]
3 - Unstoppable [Cannot be slowed]
4 - Unyielding [Improves Fortify]

[Passive Tree]

Spoiler
Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/aqgyrPuY

PoE Website: https://tinyurl.com/yc7b9xvp

PoE Planner: https://tinyurl.com/y9fgeeah

I'd like to thank Riffautae, maker of this tree, for allowing me to use it in this guide. :)

Tree Leveling Progression

While these will guide you in which direction to go on the tree, you must always remember that the tree mainly boosts stats from gear. Having an acceptable weapon to scale the damage while leveling is important.
If you feel like your maximum life is still low even though you've followed the tree, maybe consider looking for better life rolls from dropped pieces, or simply buying one or two pieces with fair life rolls early on so it helps in the long run.

Bandit Pick
Spoiler

When you reach act 2 you need to pick a single bonus from 3 different bandits, or to slay them all for an extra skill point on the tree.

I recommend to follow Oak, as he gives 20% Increased Physical Damage, 1% Life Regeneration and 2% Physical Damage Reduction.

Stage 1:

Spoiler

Rush Resolute Technique, pick up the one jewel socket on the way.

IMPORTANT: Add a single jewel with +2 Mana gained for each Enemy hit by your Attacks since this will give you a decent boost in mana sustain. Viridian jewels can roll this in case you want to spam Orbs of Alteration instead of buying from a player.

Stage 2:

Spoiler

Mainly traveling, passing through the Duelist that has very strong nodes.

Stage 3:

Spoiler

By now the build will be feeling solid and you should be reaching maps soon.
From now until the tree is complete, you will pick what your characters feels like it's lacking most.
Aiming to get the rest of the Endurance Charges might be a good place to start...

[Skills/Gems/Links]

Spoiler
Gems are pretty straight forward to follow:

All level 20, except for Cast When Damage Taken + Tempest Shield.

Green gems are pretty must a must have while leveling, so work your sockets out when you swap gear.

Red gems can be left out, but get them socketed before you start maps.

Remember that the highest stat requirements of a piece of gear tell you what colors it will roll more often when you use a Chromatic Orb on them. This will prevent you from running out of them and getting your gems socketed faster. (STR=Red/INT=Blue /DEX=Green)

Main hand:

Herald of Ash + Hatred + Stone Golem

Off-hand:

Vengeance + Curse on Hit + Enfeeble

Helmet:

Ancestral Warchief + Maim + Melee Physical Damage + Concentrated Effect

Chest:

Blade Flurry + Chance to Bleed + Maim + Melee Physical Damage + Faster Attacks + (Concentrated Effect)

Gloves:

Shield Charge/Leap Slam + Fortify + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic

Boots:

Cast When Damage Taken + Tempest Shield / Blood Rage + Increased Duration

Main Attack - Blade Flurry:
Spoiler
5/6L=> Blade Flurry > Chance to Bleed > Melee Physical Damage > Maim > Faster Attacks > (Concentraded Effect)

Deals physical damage that allows you to get extra damage from Herald of Ash and Hatred.

Blade Flurry is a very nice all in one skill where it can be used for both single target and pack clearing very effectively.
Remember to let go of it when you reach 6 charges, rinse and repeat. You'll see the DPS difference yourself when you go up against tankier bosses.
Making use of the charges damage every few seconds will also help you manage your mana cost better.

Augmenting Skills - Ancestral Warchief:
Spoiler
4L=> Ascenstral Warchief > Maim > Melee Physical Damage > Concentraded Effect

Your totem sidekick is there for 3 reasons:

-It hits things for added DPS;
-It gives you a MORE melee damage multiplier when active;
-It applies Maim to enemies.

Maim will cause enemies hit to take increased physical damage from all sources, so having the totem up and slapping things around will help with a few tankier bosses.

Auras/Buffs:

-Herald of Ash + Hatred
Spoiler
Herald of Ash - Converts a % of physical damage into extra fire damage [Reserves 25% mana]
Hatred - Converts a % of physical damage into extra cold damage [Reserves 50% mana]

These together will reserve 75% of your maximum mana for a large boost in damage

-Tempest Shield + Cast When Damage Taken
Spoiler

Your main reason to use tempest shield will be for the 3% Chance To Block that it provides.

As for gem levels, I personally like having to have my CWDT gem activate after around 1/3 of my total health being taken from hits.

-Blood Rage
Spoiler
Activating Blood Rage will provide you with a temporary boost in Attack Speed, Physical Attack Life Leech and gives a 25% chance to grant a Frenzy Charge on kill.
While active, it'll drain 4% of your life per second as physical damage. Your Endurance Charges together with a Stone Golem will mitigate this damage, allowing for some positive regeneration.
It also resets the timer on kill, so it's convenient to quickly move from pack to pack to keep Blood Rage active.

Movement:
Spoiler
4L=> Shield Charge/Leap Slam > Fortify > Faster Attacks > Blood Magic

Your movement skill is how you will be applying the Fortify effect. It's on a timer same as Blood Rage, but it doesn't reset on kill, so you'll have to reapply every few seconds.
Pick a movement skill between Leap Slam and Shield Charge (one can jump over ledges, and the other moves faster in linear maps)

[Gearing]

Spoiler
Sustain
Spoiler
You're not using Vaal Pact, so getting physical instead of global leech will be sufficient to regenerate life without having to worry about wasting extra leech. Blood rage will provide you with some life leech but you don't want to lose that bonus if the timer runs out.

Remember when gearing to get a decent roll in both Physical Life and Mana Leech in any of your pieces. Gloves and jewelry can roll them.

As mentioned in the leveling progress, also get a jewel with +2 Mana gained on hit and you're good to go.

Weapon

You're using a one-handed weapon since you'll be wielding a shield, so it doesn't have a lot of base physical damage.
The tree compensates this damage since the Ascendancy is where most of your defenses are coming from.
Using Resolute Technique allows you to ignore accuracy and crit rolls on gear, this makes it rather cheap to buy a high physical DPS weapon every few levels.
I suggest using http://poe.trade > selecting one-handed weapon type of choice > setting your current level as max level required > search and sort by pDPs > buy one of the top ones.
Usually you'll find ones for under 1c that will keep you pushing through the acts. Repeat when damage starts falling until you can equip Ichimonji.

Low Tier Unique Mapping Weapon:
Spoiler
Ichimonji <http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ichimonji>

This sword has an acceptable base physical damage and comes with a very unique roll, Increased Effect of Buffs on You.
That roll will push the effects of Herald of Ash and Hatred, giving you more extra total DPS.
It'll allow you to enter maps and have enough DPS to start clearing through the atlas.

Mid Tier Rare Mapping Weapon:
Spoiler
If your damage starts falling while you're using Ichimonji, you can invest some currency into a high Physical DPS one-handed sword.

Since you're using Resolute Technique it's much easier to shop around for a decent weapon, ignore the crit on weapons and get as much physical damage per second as possible.

High Tier Unique Mapping Weapon:
Spoiler
Varunastra [https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Varunastra]

With a slight change in the passive tree a Varunastra can help pushing damage numbers a lot higher due to the hybrid bonuses it receives.

It also lets us replace the one jewel with +2 mana on hit from our tree for even better min-maxing of gear.

Varunastra tree to be added at a later stage

Shield

While there are a large amount of unique shields to play around with, some times a simple yellow rare can go a long way, in 3.0 shields got a whole lot of new rare mods that they roll.

Low Tier Map Entry:
Spoiler
Look for a rare shield that has a large amount of life, fair armor, and as much resist as you can afford on it.

The Unique More Expensive Option:
Spoiler
The Surrender [https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Surrender]

If you have extra currency after some time into the league and feel like staying safer, there's always the option of The Surrender as it returns 250 life on block, on top of being a good shield base. It doesn't have resists, so you'll need to shift those into better rare gear elsewhere.

Body Pieces
Spoiler
While your Juggernaut Ascendancy will provide you with easy layer of resists/defense, the passive tree will provide a fair sum of increase life %.
You now need to get flat # life on your gear to make use of it. While leveling make life and at least one resist your priority rolls when putting on new pieces of gear, ideally on item bases that help with getting the socket colors you need.

Jewellery

Belt:
Spoiler
Belt of The Deceiver [https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belt_of_the_Deceiver]

Increased damage dealt, increased life, increased resistances and reduced damage taken from critical strikes.
This is a great overall belt that also pairs very well with Indomitable from the passive tree, stacking the reduced damage taken from critical strikes all the way to -50%.

Rings:

Endurance charges will give you a lot of resistances, but those are not always up when you start a fight, it's important to make sure your base resists are capped too.

Map Entry Rings:
Spoiler
Ring slots have the option of Two-Stone Rings. They have a double resistance implicit as a base and can make it easier to gear up until you can afford higher tier rolls of resists throughout the rest of your gear.

Use the ring slots to push your resists up as much as you can, try obtain a roll of life on them, even if not very high.

Plain Better Rings:
Spoiler
As you get better rolls on your other pieces of gear with higher resistances, you can then start replacing them with rings that have offensive rolls instead.
A good base is a Steel Ring, as it gives Implicit added # Physical Damage To Attacks, instead of just resistances.

Amulet:

I personally like keeping the amulet as a free filler slot for stat requirements while leveling. Prevents having your build break in case you can't replace you other items and are locked out of them.

Doing so also let's us swap amulets for different purposes, so take your pick

Rare Amulet:
Spoiler
You probably already have enough resists from the rest of your gear, you can prioritize offensive rolls.

Look for # Flat Physical Damage + Attack Speed + Life as priority stats.

Situational Unique Amulets:
Spoiler
Stone of Lazhwar [https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stone_of_Lazhwar]

Defensive Option, if you know you're about to face a certain boss that uses mainly spells this amulet will help mitigate the damage received for that fight. Works great when paired with Rumi's Concussion.

Bisco's Collar [https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Bisco%27s_Collar]

Farming Option, while you're busy grinding for XP you'll often find that you won't need the extra damage or defense from the above two. Bisco's will help you farm that currency up for you to get much better rolls on your gear.

[Flasks]
Spoiler

Besides some flasks giving life, there are also a lot of other flasks that give very nice temporary bonuses.

Saving flask charges for rares and boss fights is ideal for both offensive and defensive reasons.

Budget League Starter Flask Setup
Spoiler
1- Life
2- Basalt(Gives 20% Physical Damage Reduction, roll Increased % of Armor)
3- Granite (Gives 3000 armor during effect, to be replaced by rumi's)
4- Atziri's Promise (% of Physical Damage as Extra Chaos Damage + Chaos Resistance)
5- QuickSilver (Quick boost in movement speed, roll Immunity to Bleed)

End-Game Flask Setup
Spoiler
1- Blood of the Karui (Fills life to maximum at end of flask effect)
2- Taste of Hate (% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage, and cold mitigation in one flask)
3- Rumi's Concussion (Gives 3000 armor together with chance to block both attacks and spells)
4- Atziri's Promise (% of Physical Damage as Extra Chaos Damage + Chaos Resistance)
5- QuickSilver (Quick boost in movement speed, roll Immunity to Bleed)

or

3- Instead of Rumi's Concussion grab Lion's Roar for a more offensive option.
4- If you got some chaos resistance on gear, use Sin's Rebirth instead of Atziri's Promise

First guide I made, open to suggestions/corrections. o/

[03-Aug-2017]EDIT: PoB Link updated
Last edited by MaiaTan on Dec 26, 2017, 9:58:50 AM
Last bumped on Dec 25, 2017, 4:31:45 AM
Looks good, I think I will try it out in 3.0. You should add gem lvls and 6 link version. Also you could show us your gear and stats. :)
Last edited by Saten on Aug 2, 2017, 8:36:21 AM
"
Looks good, I think I will try it out in 3.0. You should add gem lvls and 6 link version. Also you could show us your gear and stats. :)

Thanks and enjoy o/

Unfortunately the video is while I was in the beta and I don't believe that it's possible to pull the items from there into the forum. Also trying to figure out how to pull items into here in the first place lol.

I'll add the gem levels and suggest 6L's, it does need a bit more detail.
Please add POB code, this is 2017 :D
"
illidone wrote:
Please add POB code, this is 2017 :D

I'll make it more visible.

The items and settings need some cleaning up on pob too, mainly there for the tree for now.
Hello, great guide. what about the pantheon? which gods would you recommend
Last edited by naaxd on Aug 14, 2017, 12:45:12 PM
I was looking for a juggernaut build to farm uber lab, i easily get 90% phys reduction and 50k armour without buff but as far my dps goes, it is not that 11k average, actually, with dual 2 scaeva i'm maxing at 2.5-3k, doing maps rather well, i'm not one for clear speed but it is not that slow, my problem with the build is the leech. I did uber lab, finished about twice, tried about 10 times(no exageration btw), because of the leech, granted my dps is shit, but looking at your gear and tree choices, i just cant believe this build, in PoB my build does more damage without auras then my actual in game build and the life is very wrong, and i went heavily in the marauder/duelist damage nodes for dual/swords and life, all the atk speed nodes i could get my hands on.

My build works, just can't sustain life with leech on hard hitting bosses, i tried with other skills, dual strike(might and influence jewel have splash damage so no splash gem), double strike, infernal blow, a handful of suport gems, all high level with quality btw, could achieve almost 50k dps(in-game tooltip) but still couldnt sustain life with leech, i'm trying carnage heart for the 50% increase life leech per second, but still nope. I'm going crit now and considering vaal pact, although i would hate loosing the life regen, would not be good for lab traps... I can tank the slams and other hard hits if there is no enemy around so my slow leech can heal to full, but if i am being barraged by a lot of enemies i try to avoid the big hits, but i cannot rely on my leech on those situations and thats when i die

My question is, can you do uber lab confortably with your setup? can you sustain yourself with your leech against a lot of enemies? with life, i don't have mana problems.
"
I was looking for a juggernaut build to farm uber lab, i easily get 90% phys reduction and 50k armour without buff but as far my dps goes, it is not that 11k average, actually, with dual 2 scaeva i'm maxing at 2.5-3k, doing maps rather well, i'm not one for clear speed but it is not that slow, my problem with the build is the leech. I did uber lab, finished about twice, tried about 10 times(no exageration btw), because of the leech, granted my dps is shit, but looking at your gear and tree choices, i just cant believe this build, in PoB my build does more damage without auras then my actual in game build and the life is very wrong, and i went heavily in the marauder/duelist damage nodes for dual/swords and life, all the atk speed nodes i could get my hands on.

My build works, just can't sustain life with leech on hard hitting bosses, i tried with other skills, dual strike(might and influence jewel have splash damage so no splash gem), double strike, infernal blow, a handful of suport gems, all high level with quality btw, could achieve almost 50k dps(in-game tooltip) but still couldnt sustain life with leech, i'm trying carnage heart for the 50% increase life leech per second, but still nope. I'm going crit now and considering vaal pact, although i would hate loosing the life regen, would not be good for lab traps... I can tank the slams and other hard hits if there is no enemy around so my slow leech can heal to full, but if i am being barraged by a lot of enemies i try to avoid the big hits, but i cannot rely on my leech on those situations and thats when i die

My question is, can you do uber lab confortably with your setup? can you sustain yourself with your leech against a lot of enemies? with life, i don't have mana problems.

Hello,

Yeah I actually did a couple of runs this week at lv 89 with this build, and it did fairly well in the lab. Managed to do full key runs alright, using leap and keeping blood rage off for extra regen allows you to cheese the traps well. Just be careful when fighting izaro, don't get hit by too many slams and you'll be alright. He'd only be dangerous if fully charged with phase buffs really, but his basic attacks are weak even charged up.

As for the leech, I ended up using Life Gained On Hit as a 6th link for now lol I have enough damage as 5L to do uber lab and mapping, so I went for extra sustain instead.

Sorry for the late reply o/
"
naaxd wrote:
Hello, great guide. what about the pantheon? which gods would you recommend

Thank you :) Busy unlocking and experimenting with the Pantheon bonuses currently. Will add to build sometime this week.
Last edited by MaiaTan on Aug 30, 2017, 6:53:18 AM
While I know you've suggested the surrender shield but what have you thought about the harbringer league specific shield https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Unshattered_Will ?.

Seems pretty good synergy as well as a nice defensive buff from the harbringer it summons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info