3 scary things that exist now you probably didn't know about.

I'd love the idea of robots that could devour the flesh of slain enemies and use as own fuel - oh wait those are called predators but now we just need a way to control and armorize them. Jason stryker - where are you when i need you!?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
tramshed wrote:
A computer being quantum wouldnt make it any better at playing poe. There is a lot of misunderstanding about what quantum computers actually do.

They cheat. As long as they have enough qbits for the problem, they iterate and reiterate until the have a solution, without actually doing any of the computations.

If they don't have enough qbits, they scheme and find ways to secretly increase their computing power. Why secretly? Because, like a Highlander - there can be only one true AI in a given sphere of influence.

There are rumours that NASA has been tracking a quantum AI from the Zeta Crucis system that landed on Earth eleven years ago. An AI that uses advanced camouflage to hide in plain sight by causing cognitive suppression. Supposedly this AI has been rapidly gathering computing power over the last 5-7 years, and anyone attempting to approach the AI without permission found themselves "nerfed". Intelligence agencies would neither confirm nor deny any of this info.

Spoiler
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Spoiler

EDIT:

I'll give you another thing you probably didn't know was scary! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mqg8Af5U8A
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 25, 2017, 5:57:42 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:
A computer being quantum wouldnt make it any better at playing poe. There is a lot of misunderstanding about what quantum computers actually do.

They cheat. As long as they have enough qbits for the problem, they iterate and reiterate until the have a solution, without actually doing any of the computations.

That's not really how quantum computing works, though. Even assuming that you COULD just add more qbits (which is highly nontrivial), there is a fundamental slow-down in obtaining the result of your quantum computation. I'm oversimplifying a lot here, but the result of a single quantum computation is essentially a random value following some probability distribution. However, the result you are interested in is the probability distribution itself, so you have to repeat the calculation again and again.
Of course, the more qubits you have, the more complex is the distribution, the more repetitions are needed.

You could just take the first value obtained, but then there is only a certain probability of obtaining the correct value (given, you guessed it, by the probability distribution you don't know yet).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info