Gear levels

am new to POE world and i have a question about Gear leveling
as GEMs level while my character haunt, how to level up my gears, or do they level up as well ? or is there a some kinda gem i can use to level em up.
thanks
Last bumped on Jul 23, 2017, 8:27:40 AM
You will get better gear for killing monsters (as drop) and/or trade.
About trade I can recommend this web http://poe.trade/
Last edited by Rakiii on Jul 22, 2017, 12:59:51 PM
"
AmrNaeem wrote:
am new to POE world and i have a question about Gear leveling
as GEMs level while my character haunt, how to level up my gears, or do they level up as well ? or is there a some kinda gem i can use to level em up.
thanks

There are only a couple (Whispering Ice staff is the only one I can think of at the moment) of gear pieces that "level with you" in the sense that they have a skill tied to them that is usually Level 1 and improves based on one of your attributes (Intelligence, for example with the Whispering Ice staff - the higher your intelligence, the more damage the bound skill (Icestorm) will do).

99.9% of all other gear has an item level (hold Alt key while mouse pointer is on it to see item level). The higher the item level of the item in question, the better the stats/mods it can potentially have. But this item level can never change, so a pair of gloves that requires character level of 20 and has an item level of 20 will never improve other than applying armor orbs to it (20% quality max). You'll use these gloves until you find a better pair - ie: your character uses it until s/he is level 23 when a pair of gloves drops that has better stats than your current gloves.

Some uniques (and some rares) have %-based stats, so in a sense, they sort of level up with you as the required stat raises from skill tree passives and other gear, but again, none of the gear's actual stats improve other than hitting it with blacksmith/whetstone (and the improvements aren't that noticeable, usually a few more energy shield / life / damage points, but every point counts as the content gets harder).

At some point, you'll hit level 80+ and notice that the majority of gear only requires level 68 (some 69, 70, 72, etc, but most tops out at 68) to equip. This is when item level becomes extremely important, as you'll be facing monsters at level 82, so a typical character level 68 sword with an item level of 68 isn't going to be that effective, but a character level 68 sword with an item level of 83 can have much higher stats/bonuses, bringing your character's "power" or such up to the level of the monsters while still wearing gear that only requires your character to be level 68-72.

Since you're new, tip for leveling gems: Get them to level 20 (you'll be into endgame mapping by then, trust me, level 19-20 takes forever, something like 200mil xp), then trade them in to a vendor along with 1 Gemcutter's Prism. The vendor will give you a gem in return that is level 1 but has 20% quality - you'll have to level the new gem back up to 20 by grinding, but the bonuses are almost always worth it (there's a couple of gems that seem to get little to no real bonus from this, but probably 95% of gems benefit in positive ways like an extra 10% damage on top of the gem's normal damage bonus, extra area of effect, etc.).

Hope this helps ;).
Last edited by AngryGames13 on Jul 22, 2017, 6:30:28 PM
As has been stated before, you need to replace your gear regularly with only very few exceptions.
There are the ones that provide strong effects based on your primary stats (some of which are pretty high level though), which are:
Hand of thought and motion (flat lightning damage for int)
Hand of wisdom and action (flat lightning damage for int, increased attack speed for dex)
Brutus' lead sprinkler (flat fire damage for str)
Geofri's sanctuary (flat ES per str)
Garukhan's flight (flat life per dex)
Shaper's touch (increased ES and flat mana per str, increased evasion and flat accuracy per int, flat life and increased melee physical damage per dex)
Iron commander (flat physical damage and +amount of active siege ballista totems per dex)
Whispering ice (increased spell damage per int, unique icestorm skill which gets increased duration and flat cold damage per int)

And then we have three (soon four) which will have their stats growing with level:
Edge of madness (flat physical damage and increased chaos damage per level)
The dark seer (flat mana and energy shield gained on kill per level)
The harvest (increased global critical strike chance per level)
(Coming hopefully soon: Oni-goroshi (flat physical damage per level))
Maybe I've forgotten one or two, not quite sure. Anyways, these are the ones I remember.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Last edited by FCK42 on Jul 22, 2017, 9:47:59 PM
thanks alot guys, but another question iam having trouble with my a ttack, is there a quicker way to get it up ? i mean waiting to get passive points and put it in the tree seems like taking for ever to get my DPS and attack up
"
AmrNaeem wrote:
thanks alot guys, but another question iam having trouble with my a ttack, is there a quicker way to get it up ? i mean waiting to get passive points and put it in the tree seems like taking for ever to get my DPS and attack up

Patience is a virtue, unless exercised regularly, one might want to consider a different pass time.

Not sure what you mean by attack, dps is...irrelevant in most cases (the tooltip dps, that is)

If you mean attack speed, there are plenty of ways other than passives to boost it up even while leveling, anything from frenzy charges to faster weapons and support gems.

PoE has billions of websites, guides and all sorts of sources of info, even spreadsheets, to help out.

What you are asking in general is quite a broad question that covers basically 1/3rd of the game, a game that is built around the idea of experimenting and researching info on different aspects of it, as cliche as it might sound, google is your best friend in this case. Or wiki, it has mostly every piece of info you might need.
No rest for the wicked.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info