Improve Acrobatics

most of my bow chars take 1 end charge from bandits and duelist one - so 5 charges (or 6 if you mass corrupt cheap belts). + basalt + bits of AR on the gear (bow char in question has 1900 AR after penalty - it sure isnt 10k but it DOES help a lot)

so i cannot see the problem
"
sidtherat wrote:
most of my bow chars take 1 end charge from bandits and duelist one - so 5 charges (or 6 if you mass corrupt cheap belts). + basalt + bits of AR on the gear (bow char in question has 1900 AR after penalty - it sure isnt 10k but it DOES help a lot)

so i cannot see the problem

like i said,its not somehting you cant deal with it just feels bad without fortify. Normaly you are usng fortify on all typ of charrs except on Bow charrs.
Fortify is abused by casters using a daggers/shield.
This abuse makes playing bow builds (for me atleast) kinda "painfull".

what i´m trying to explain is:
Bow builds are playable and fine,but they feel "squishy/weak" for me.
The "only" way for me to stick to a bow build is using Iron will even though the mitigation is mathematically worse (alot worse in some cases).
The sole Reason for this feeling is fortify ofc a buff that i really hate these days.
"
Phrazz wrote:
I don't get this rant. Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics is the most point efficient defense in the game.

Like someone have already touched; If your goal is to "max" something, I can understand how you can view it as "inefficient". But you're not "supposed" to max dodge. It's suppose to be a supplement. A layer.

Why is there an ES penalty for Acrobatics? Well, because of the way ES work, recharging fast as long as you take damage. But I do agree that the penalty should go towards your recharge rate/delay, rather than the pool - and maybe there should be some life/ES on the nodes between Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics, because, well, RNG.

A layer on top of what exactly? Energy Shield is halved, armor is halved, you have 30% less chance to block. That leaves evasion as the only mechanic that can actually be strong and evasion still means you will eventually get hit. Even if you use enduring cry, the most you can have is 4 or 5 charges depending on how far into the duelist area you want to go. There's not enough life to make it viable for melee. There is fortify, but you are pretty much forced to use it if you're melee. Basalt flask could work, but not against spells/chaos damage.

Acrobatics means everything's fine until you get one-shotted.

The recharge penalty instead of the pool sounds pretty nice.

Edit: Rephrased for more concrete term. Change made is "you have 30% less chance to block".-
Last edited by Slicer9875 on Jul 22, 2017, 11:53:56 PM
do not want to be rude but this kind of black/white approach to math is why people make TERRIBLE real life investment/economical decisions.

since when 50% is equal to DESTROYED?
since when 30% penalty is equal to 'brougt down to 1/3 value'?

POE's defensive mechanics have to be valued by its 'effect' AND 'cost' (including alternative cost ofc) and evaluated against REAL threats, not some kind of 'but when you get hit with 10k phys hit then you die' idiocy..

Acro is a fantastic tool for people to use - and if some prefer more simple mechanics (that are easy to understand and offer the 'feeling' of working best) - so be it.

but this thread - again - gave me the insight why GGG rarely talks balance with players. players are far better 'believing' that they know than actually knowing. and if someone doesnt tell them (preferrably - someone like a streamer that is very easy to follow) they have no clue and stick to beliefs (mostly - outdated)

btw - Acro has ES penalty because someone at GGG actually knows what he was doing when adding it. CI + Acro is ABSURDLY strong thanks to ~1sec recharge that we can get in 2.6. it is really this good

Idea: Right side of the tree sucks for life amount and mitigation, but VP is there to tip the scale in favour of Dex characters.

At the same time, VP has a penalty that is more punishing for the left side, since they got all the regen, and GGG wants to balance "left vs right" by giving left more "mitigation/more life/regen", but leaving right more "squishy, evasive, but capable of op leech".

Makes sense why right side of the tree is shittier then the left, but that begs a question, why do some people think it's a good idea to move VP from it's current position...

I thought about it hard myself, what the design goal might be behind those decisions. Because it is the design that matters, otherwise, what difference would there really be between different sides of the tree?

Leave VP where it is, maybe nerf it slightly in some way, make regen more powerful so left doesn't have to spec into VP in 75% of builds, and everyone should be happy. Leave Acrobatics/Evasion as underpowered as they are, but let the right side leech the damage back quickly with VP.

This way we get left side that takes less damage, and is able to outregen it for sustain, and right side that is taking full damage but less frequentely, but is able to outleech damage in between hits.
My build guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2180198

Taking a break from PoE, catch me up in Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/signup?referrerId=5b625847f2f2eb0ea0750322
Use above link for free booster when you sign up! :)
Last edited by Bristoling on Jul 22, 2017, 3:45:42 PM
"
Slicer9875 wrote:

A layer on top of what exactly? Energy Shield is halved, armor is halved, block is reduced to 1/3. That leaves evasion as the only mechanic that can actually be strong and evasion still means you will eventually get hit. Even if you use enduring cry, the most you can have is 4 or 5 charges depending on how far into the duelist area you want to go. There's not enough life to make it viable for melee.

evasion + physical taken as elemental + % reduced phys damage.

Its fine for melee if you build it right. Heres an acro melee build..

Raider // Stormblades

Chimera Fight
http://plays.tv/video/58bf00c4702cfaff73/wildstrike-raider-v-chim

Phoenix Fight ft Tinevan
http://plays.tv/video/58bf0b400cc8243dd6/frostblade-raider-v-pho

Heres the chimera fight again with a 25 chaos shit tier rare dagger and no taste of hate, just in case youre going to come back with the idea that its only viable with a 500pdps dagger and an old lightning coil, which is obviously not the case...

Chimera with shit tier dagger and no taste of hate
http://plays.tv/video/58c6b1ca7f517fb388/with25cdagger

Its not sprinkler instant delete dps but in terms of defenses you can go toe to toe with guardians no problem, its not even dangerous, I could put on a white dagger and sit there fighting them for half an hour it would be fine, I dont even use vaal pact, its not relying on instant leech to tank it just does it off the back of passive defenses. General red tier mapping, put it this way it just never dies, run around and crush everything in your sleep. Coil is 1 chaos, starkonjas hood is 1 chaos, 240pdps binos that is basically as good as the 25c rare dagger I was using is 1 chaos, it doesnt require expensive uniques.

I have an old lightning coil and a 500pdps dagger because Ive played an absolute ton of this game for 4 years straight. But Ive played plenty of coil evasion melees in leagues, its one of the strongest options for defense on a life based melee Ive played. Trust me I have items like legacy kaoms, I have 11k life crit staff melee builds, 8k hp armour aegis block tanks, 30k armour high endurance marauders, this feels as safe or safer in the majority of situations.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Jul 22, 2017, 8:09:40 PM
"
Slicer9875 wrote:

A layer on top of what exactly? Energy Shield is halved, armor is halved, block is reduced to 1/3. That leaves evasion as the only mechanic that can actually be strong

Absolutely wrong.

"
ciel289 wrote:
what i´m trying to explain is:
Bow builds are playable and fine,but they feel "squishy/weak" for me.

As they likely should.

"
sidtherat wrote:

btw - Acro has ES penalty because someone at GGG actually knows what he was doing when adding it. CI + Acro is ABSURDLY strong thanks to ~1sec recharge that we can get in 2.6. it is really this good

3.0.0 endgame on 3~4k ES as a main buffer, where pots don't work ???
Are you serious there ?

That means that you need a bleed flask + ignite removal flask in all situations on top of that, assuming CI of course.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 22, 2017, 9:46:17 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Slicer9875 wrote:

A layer on top of what exactly? Energy Shield is halved, armor is halved, block is reduced to 1/3. That leaves evasion as the only mechanic that can actually be strong and evasion still means you will eventually get hit. Even if you use enduring cry, the most you can have is 4 or 5 charges depending on how far into the duelist area you want to go. There's not enough life to make it viable for melee.

evasion + physical taken as elemental + % reduced phys damage.

Its fine for melee if you build it right. Heres an acro melee build..

Raider // Stormblades

Chimera Fight
http://plays.tv/video/58bf00c4702cfaff73/wildstrike-raider-v-chim

Phoenix Fight ft Tinevan
http://plays.tv/video/58bf0b400cc8243dd6/frostblade-raider-v-pho

Heres the chimera fight again with a 25 chaos shit tier rare dagger and no taste of hate, just in case youre going to come back with the idea that its only viable with a 500pdps dagger and an old lightning coil, which is obviously not the case...

Chimera with shit tier dagger and no taste of hate
http://plays.tv/video/58c6b1ca7f517fb388/with25cdagger

Its not sprinkler instant delete dps but in terms of defenses you can go toe to toe with guardians no problem, its not even dangerous, I could put on a white dagger and sit there fighting them for half an hour it would be fine, I dont even use vaal pact, its not relying on instant leech to tank it just does it off the back of passive defenses. General red tier mapping, put it this way it just never dies, run around and crush everything in your sleep. Coil is 1 chaos, starkonjas hood is 1 chaos, 240pdps binos that is basically as good as the 25c rare dagger I was using is 1 chaos, it doesnt require expensive uniques.

I have an old lightning coil and a 500pdps dagger because Ive played an absolute ton of this game for 4 years straight. But Ive played plenty of coil evasion melees in leagues, its one of the strongest options for defense on a life based melee Ive played. Trust me I have items like legacy kaoms, I have 11k life crit staff melee builds, 8k hp armour aegis block tanks, 30k armour high endurance marauders, this feels as safe or safer in the majority of situations.

It might be that my builds are too poorly designed to pull off Acrobatics builds. You were significantly under the dodge cap; no Vaal grace. There were a few things that I think were too expensive to be considered normal, but you did prove your point. You don't need a fully maxed dodge cap. I will rethink on why exactly my Acro builds are failing and whether it is personal or not. When 3.0 hits, I will revive some of those builds for testing.

"
sidtherat wrote:
do not want to be rude but this kind of black/white approach to math is why people make TERRIBLE real life investment/economical decisions.

since when 50% is equal to DESTROYED?
since when 30% penalty is equal to 'brougt down to 1/3 value'?

POE's defensive mechanics have to be valued by its 'effect' AND 'cost' (including alternative cost ofc) and evaluated against REAL threats, not some kind of 'but when you get hit with 10k phys hit then you die' idiocy..

Acro is a fantastic tool for people to use - and if some prefer more simple mechanics (that are easy to understand and offer the 'feeling' of working best) - so be it.

but this thread - again - gave me the insight why GGG rarely talks balance with players. players are far better 'believing' that they know than actually knowing. and if someone doesnt tell them (preferrably - someone like a streamer that is very easy to follow) they have no clue and stick to beliefs (mostly - outdated)

Armour blocks against physical damage here, not elemental or chaos damage. If you're close enough to take Acrobatics, odds are that you don't have as many armor nodes or ways to boost armor. You might possibly taking iron reflexes here and in that case, it may have some use, but considering that armor requires a significant amount to be effective, the 1/2 penalty means that it is very hard to reach good effectiveness with physical mitigation.

Next point addressed will be on ES. How much ES do you think it is realistic to achieve when you only get half the ES value? In terms of passives, the highest percentage I see happening is about 60% assuming you went up to the Shadow/Witch area. I think it would be difficult to obtain beyond 2500 ES which is if you went all out for investment disregarding prices.

This is why I am saying these two defenses are not effective.
Last edited by Slicer9875 on Jul 23, 2017, 12:11:24 AM
I do question what the point of Acrobatics really is.
If you are going full Dex defences and Melee, you could just get Block, which is similar in end result.
If you are going full Dex defences and Ranged, you won't be needing to evade attacks a lot anyway.
If you aren't going full Dex defences, major antisynergy.
Maybe if you were going two handed sword with armour/evasion and you paired it with Iron Reflexes?
It seems to be either a sidegrade, a backup or a niche option.
Not sure I would care if it was removed. :/
"
HousePet wrote:
I do question what the point of Acrobatics really is.
If you are going full Dex defences and Melee, you could just get Block, which is similar in end result.
If you are going full Dex defences and Ranged, you won't be needing to evade attacks a lot anyway.
If you aren't going full Dex defences, major antisynergy.
Maybe if you were going two handed sword with armour/evasion and you paired it with Iron Reflexes?
It seems to be either a sidegrade, a backup or a niche option.
Not sure I would care if it was removed. :/

If you are going range and are around there already, 5 or 6 points are not a big investment, and the boost is significant, imho.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 23, 2017, 2:14:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info