Improve Acrobatics

"
Fruz wrote:

There is your problem.
And obviously, on a gladiator, what you want is to maximise block ...

I don't understand if you are trolling, or just stupid.

In my post I have described other scenarios as well, obviously have fucking tried them as well.

The high block gladiator was the most recent try, and besides that it's the only approach which in theory is supposed to be efficient, related to the still high values of block/spell block, remaining after the penalty.

That's idiotic.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 21, 2017, 7:16:01 AM
According to what theory ? your theory ? Ever thought that your theory wasn't the best "theory" and way to play the game ?

Because, honestly maxing block with accro seems like anything but optimization, imho, it just seems like a bad idea.
Getting block nodes that are either on your way or very close to boost your block (just enough) with accro however, is another story.
Gladiator might still be somewhat of a good choice with such a setup, I'm not sure, but I would pick another class honestly.

And you are comparing a really tanky setup (maxed block gladiator), to something likely designed to help range having a minimum of defenses now ?
Like ... what ? apples and oranges ....

Honestly, you are trolling me, aren't you ?
Because you just gave two examples (quite extremes, no middle ground in either of those two) and then just added "but trying to improve the build by investing points in block and AR just here and there. Now that's a complete waste.", basically as if you had not even tried.

But there is no way to know exactly what you did, I mean, you did put your whole profile private, so whatever.
It did not work well for your build, that's PoE for you, might be some others here tried with "better" setups and it just worked better for them.

Edit : as I can see in the next message that it probably going to be just removed, you can't do anything more than resorting to pure ad hominem there heh .... that's sad.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 21, 2017, 8:22:39 AM
There's a couple HUGE problems with Acrobatics/dodge as it stands right now, that both contrast with block:

• First off, the route of investment. If you go dodge, it is NOT worth it at all unless you sink in for Acro+PA. As both an RNG-based system *AND* a flat-percentile method of hit reduction, each extra 1% is worth more than the one before it: 25% dodge only improves your eHP by a measly 1/3, while 50% doubles it, and 75% quadruples it.

While block DOES share that "go big or go home" approach, where it differs is, again, the route it takes to build it. Acro+PA being mandatory, along with having to explicitly stack it with other sources. Rumi's isn't mandatory for block builds, but it's nice; but Vaal Grace is mandatory to pack along for dodge.

• Secondly, there's such a tiny narrow range of builds that can use it, thanks to the penalty; halved armour's pretty stiff. Worse yet is halved ES: no one who understands building would outright sacrifice half their pool for some RNG-based mitigation. This limits it to pure evasion builds; no hybrids, and certainly no pure ES or pure armour.

On top of that, consider the weapon layout; the outright reduced block (even if meant as a BALANCING mechanic) means a shield is a bad idea. Dual-wield, likewise, is out, leaving two-handed weapons, of which rangers only specialize in one kind: bows.

In short, Acrobatics is kinda just an RNG reward for playing an archer.

I'm not sure how it'd be done, but there needs to be some rebalancing to keep it not overpowered, (which, admittedly, is not that hard; RNG-based mitigation is inherently poor) but ALSO allow it to be used by more than an evasion-reliant bow-wielder.

Some concept ideas I've thought on:

• Swap the "50% less Energy shield" for EITHER "50% less energy shield recharge" or "50% slower start of energy shield recharge." Makes a hybrid build useful, but not TOO easy to simply evade/dodge all hits long enough to consistently recharge your ES between every hit.

• Change "30% reduced block chance" to "30% reduced maximum block chance." The problem wasn't block IN GENERAL, it was the prospect of stacking max block with max dodge. Simply cutting the max block would help prevent that.

• Add OPTIONAL nodes that'd convert the player's block chance to dodge chance as well, if they wanted a lower-investment route to easily cap dodge. (at the expense of having zero block) Might help make the buckler-and-rapier builds actually feasible.

Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:
On top of that, consider the weapon layout; the outright reduced block (even if meant as a BALANCING mechanic) means a shield is a bad idea.

It's not.

Specializing fully into shield and investing a significant amount of point into it however, that might just be a terrible idea (haven't tried that one, it seemed to bad to even try).

I do agree that the ES penalty .... is too harsh, nobody would use ES as a primary buffer with accro, the buffer is a way too important thing to sacrifice half of it imho.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
math is better than superstitions and napkin calc

2000 dps of incoming damage. damage taken by player

Block (75):
2000*(1-0.75)=500dps

Acro(40) + Block(40):
720dps

Block(27) + Acro(43) + EV(34)
540dps

so 'block stacking is better'? yes AND no. why? the last setup is taken from my real character (BUDGET one, so i miss SEVERAL sources of block and my EV from the chest is GARBAGE) and it took me literally: 3 block nodes (other than the 3 nodes in Ranger that id have taken anyway) and 5 points for phase acro
maxing block requires a) picking pre-made build b) items that provide block chance c) money as maxing anything is always costly d) picking spec. ascendancies/cheeze choices like Necro+offerings..

before anyone claims that 'big hits are more important than theoretical damage per second' - true. but there is NO DIFFERENCE between block(75) and other setups in this regard - as ALL THESE SETUPS fail when finally hit for 'damage > life pool' in single hit

changes to Acro did NOTHING to change that situation, the only difference is how often you will get one shot. not 'if', but 'how often'.

if i change the formula and replace current values with better gear i get
Block(34) + Acro(43) + EV(49)
383 dps

adding even 1-2k of AR (this DOES NOT REQUIRE anything more than picking EV/AR items with high defensive rolls) makes phys damage pretty harmless

elemental damage is unaffected by changes to AR so i settled for 'damage' instead of att phy/att ele/spell phy/spell ele as these are mostly identical

obsession with 'max everything' costs people A LOT of money in real life when they do not know when to stop, and here makes them ignore mechanics that are far more complex than simple 'max is best' rule. it is simply easier to settle with something that is easy to 'understand' than to explore deeper parts of the system

btw - hybrid buffs in 3.0 will make these types of builds like mine EXTREMELY strong. and because most people will NOT leave their small 'safe spaces' i expect these items to be dirt cheap

"
sidtherat wrote:
math is better than superstitions and napkin calc

2000 dps of incoming damage. damage taken by player

Block (75):
2000*(1-0.75)=500dps

Acro(40) + Block(40):
720dps

Block(27) + Acro(43) + EV(34)
540dps

so 'block stacking is better'? yes AND no. why? the last setup is taken from my real character (BUDGET one, so i miss SEVERAL sources of block and my EV from the chest is GARBAGE) and it took me literally: 3 block nodes (other than the 3 nodes in Ranger that id have taken anyway) and 5 points for phase acro
maxing block requires a) picking pre-made build b) items that provide block chance c) money as maxing anything is always costly d) picking spec. ascendancies/cheeze choices like Necro+offerings..

before anyone claims that 'big hits are more important than theoretical damage per second' - true. but there is NO DIFFERENCE between block(75) and other setups in this regard - as ALL THESE SETUPS fail when finally hit for 'damage > life pool' in single hit

changes to Acro did NOTHING to change that situation, the only difference is how often you will get one shot. not 'if', but 'how often'.

if i change the formula and replace current values with better gear i get
Block(34) + Acro(43) + EV(49)
383 dps

adding even 1-2k of AR (this DOES NOT REQUIRE anything more than picking EV/AR items with high defensive rolls) makes phys damage pretty harmless

elemental damage is unaffected by changes to AR so i settled for 'damage' instead of att phy/att ele/spell phy/spell ele as these are mostly identical

obsession with 'max everything' costs people A LOT of money in real life when they do not know when to stop, and here makes them ignore mechanics that are far more complex than simple 'max is best' rule. it is simply easier to settle with something that is easy to 'understand' than to explore deeper parts of the system

btw - hybrid buffs in 3.0 will make these types of builds like mine EXTREMELY strong. and because most people will NOT leave their small 'safe spaces' i expect these items to be dirt cheap

Oh great mathematician,
what's the story against spells?
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 21, 2017, 12:05:46 PM
What, you want to factor phase acro and Atziri's steps ?
He said 5 points for the acro cluster.

But yeah, if you factor gladiator, then full block will likely be superior I guess.
What, you want to factor phase acro and Atziri's steps ?
He said 5 points for the acro cluster.

But yeah, if you factor gladiator, then full block will likely be superior I guess.
Fruz you know math man? I am one of those napkin people. If a number looks good then i just max it.

Can you calculate for me 78 allblock with vaal grace on and maybe that flask that gives 10% dodge and spelldodge?

And if it doesn't look good please don't shoot me ok? Stupid people that like to max stuff deserve an opinion as well...
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 21, 2017, 12:44:19 PM
Have you read the last sentence of my previous post ?
Seriously ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info