The economy cannot grow forever

I don't see the resource issue being the one that we need to confront right away, but rather how we utilize the continuous advancement of automation and its inevitable surpassing the ability to perform white collar jobs, much in the same way that it has affected blue collar jobs.
The technology in it of itself has no inherent negative effects, but with the primary focus for a lot of industries being maximizing profit margins for their investors, and reducing the cots of payroll will help the bottom line, the day will come when more sectors of the economy can be automated. Even if they aren't 'as good' they just need to be more cost effective than a full time worker who wants a few weeks paid time off, sick days, insurance coverage, etc...

Unlike what the conspiracy theorists would have you believe the economy is not run by a small group of people who will say: 'Okay, you can automate to increase profit margin, and you hire people because if everything is automated we won't have enough consumers to sustain our system.' Odds are it will be: "Why would I hire people? I thought they were hiring people." "Me? Why would I hire people?" after all it's the same people who thought that the housing bubble would never burst.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but a system that is on the one hand based upon consumption, but also concerned about a bottom line that can be increased by reducing payroll is one in which I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a 100% inevitability, but it's one that I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the system imploding due to the decline of work force having enough flexible spending to reinvest into the economy. The velocity of money, so to speak.
Last edited by Rhata on Jul 22, 2017, 7:44:08 PM
Just have another war?

Doesn't seem all to complicated to solve.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Just have another war?

Doesn't seem all to complicated to solve.

Peace,

-Boem-
Damn, we've had war since 2001. I am well tired of it. We've had nice steady growth since 2008 thank you very much. There is no need to grow faster.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info