The economy cannot grow forever

Last bumped on Jul 23, 2017, 11:05:39 PM
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:

Well, I don't know if I agree or disagree because I'd have to research. But you're posting an opinion article by someone who advocates communism like crazy, are you really surprised they'd have this opinion?

Charan has never seen the inside of an economics classroom or any classroom having to do with a science so don't hold his opinion with much weight on this topic.

Look up some articles by economists that have opposing views on the topic and listen to each of their views and form your own opinion based on their expert viewpoints, but try to get the whole story.
anything is everything
Can you have infinite economic growth?

*serious face*

Only if you have supposedly infinite resources and planets. A single planet have its limitation and carrying capacity.

I think that the most obvious reason economic growth can't continuously increase is us. We the people. our innate selfishness and short-sightedness. We are very good at misusing every type of resource such that there are ups and down in the economy. A global economy only complicates things more. Growth here, no growth there in a moving, ever changing array of economies.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Actually I spent two years gently failing an economics/arts double long ago, mostly due an MTG addiction that taught me more about practical economics anyway. So you're wrong. I've seen the inside of macro and micro economics lectures, not to mention industrial relations and econometrics.

I just wasn't very good at the academics of economy.

But how the economy moves day to day directly affects my wealth, so of course I pay attention to it.

What was it you did for a living again, Manocean? Amuse me while you can.

I do cybersecurity for a fortune 500. My undergrad included classes in macro/macro econ and they were really easy classes. The math was low level (for college) and the rest was critical thinking and logic. Don't remember getting less than an A in those courses. I don't get how the king of logic and the holder of the majority of shared intelligence between all users on the forums couldn't get through the econ degree.

"Amuse me while you can?" - the cringe never stops!

---

I think the main question of the thread is odd. Better off asking how long will the economy grow for and why? There's a lot of factors to account for.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Jul 19, 2017, 6:15:37 PM
"
Manocean wrote:

I think the main question of the thread is odd. Better off asking how long will the economy grow for and why? There's a lot of factors to account for.

We don't know how long it will continue to grow, but slower growth is likely to make it last longer. there is less inclination to do stupid stuff. Unanticipated influences can send things into a tailspin and those can happen within the US economy or outside of it. There are any number of flash points (economic, political or military) that could precipitate sufficient doubt that a major downturn is started.

US Mountain Time Zone
"
鬼殺し wrote:
and wholefood stores vs Walmart.
I didn't know you had Whole Foods and Walmart in OZ. Sorry about Walmart though.
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
Manocean wrote:

We don't know how long it will continue to grow, but slower growth is likely to make it last longer. there is less inclination to do stupid stuff. Unanticipated influences can send things into a tailspin and those can happen within the US economy or outside of it. There are any number of flash points (economic, political or military) that could precipitate sufficient doubt that a major downturn is started.

Nobody asking can it shrink?
"
deathflower wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
Manocean wrote:

Nobody asking can it shrink?
Those are called recessions and they have happened regularly. Prolonged recessions are called depressions. Unless the jobs grow faster than population (work force), the unemployment rate goes up and community wealth declines.
US Mountain Time Zone
Exactly. There isn't any way to protect a country from global events unless you are minimally connected to other nations. Growing populations need a way to keep those people busy and contributing. Economic growth seems to be our best option at this time. Ideally, you want that growth to use dollars (money) from outside your nation. Exports work well.
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info