[3.0] Cold Magician - Totem Vortex (theorycrafting) Please comment!

Hi everyone, 1st build here! (Only theorycrafting for the moment. Going to test on BETA asap).

Sorry for my bad english, doing my best :)

So the build consist to use the spell Vortex with Spell totem. Nothing new.

I was looking for a build with the Vortex skill because i like it a lot (idk why..) and there's no build around this skill for the moment.

Let's go for Templar Hierophant for 4 totems.

Ascendancy

Spoiler

1. Pursuit of Faith

2. Ritual of Awakening

3. Conviction of Power

Since the other big nodes are kind of useless, i take 2 little nodes

4. Mana regen/Area damage and Mana regen/Mana

I wanted to build up life or life/ES, max res obviously and dual curse for massive cold res reduction.

Gear and Gem link idea
Spoiler

Taryn's Shiver Staff 6 links + 2 cold gems

Spell totem - Vortex - Faster Casting - Increased AoE - Controlled Destruction - Cold Pen

Rime Gaze 4 links

Blasphemy - Frostbite - Elemental Weakness (or Enfeeble for more def) - Enlighten

Body armour

I dont know yet, maybe Carcass Jack would be nice or Kaom's since we already have a 6 links with the staff. Or else, rare ES/life armour with res.

Rare gloves ES/life 4 links

Rallying cry - Vaal Haste - Lightning trap - Increased duration

Rare boots ES/life 3 links + AA

CWDT - Immortal Call - Increased duration. Artic armour not linked.

The Pandemonius amulet

Rings : Rigwald Crest (i would like this ring, but only available in Talisman) and/or 2 rare ring (life/es res, cold damage/inc. cast speed, etc.)

Doryani's Invitation belt (inc. cold damage)

Missing some mobility here... i'm thinking about it!

Bandits
Spoiler

For Bandits in 3.0, i suggest Kraityn for the movement speed and cast speed.

Tree skill (with 2.6, but i've done one with 3.0 on PoB)

Spoiler

Tree 2.6

Passive skill tree build level 90

Tree 3.0 in PoB

https://pastebin.com/jDdZf4wq

Damage sheet in Path of building
Spoiler

Right here i used so-so items (no jewels, gems lvl 20 no quality), not the best and cheap to see how it would scale.

I don't know if it's good numbers, will try this out soon!

And with concentrated effect

Alternative idea
Spoiler

Maybe use Tulfall Tornado Wand for some synergy with power charges, looks powerful.

And a rare shield ES/life for more defense.

With a shield, we could use Tempest shield with CWDT.

We could use only 1 curse, get Orb of storm/crit to proc Elemental Overload, somthing like that.

I wonder what's better!

I would like some comments on this build. I really want to make it viable to play Vortex.

If there's other alternative you think of, please feel free to comment and give your point of view.

I'm not really good in creating builds since it's my 1st one ;)

Thanks and hope you enjoy!

PS: I will update if i get some comments and when i try it on beta.

Update
Spoiler

Hey guys! The build is kind of hard to run and to level with.

You have to get some gear before it runs smooth and fast.

I tried with Carcass Jack and a different tree, so the AOE is big enough for pack clearing with a single totem.

I switched from Templar to Scion (dual totem) for a lot more DPS (with crit nodes shadow side).

I don't have time to put four totems while mapping.

But even with good and expensive gear, the DPS is like.. meh. 84k DPS and 16k DoT.

It can do T15 maps with good gears, it freezes everything with massive crit and high cold damage.

That's NOT a starter league build. I might try it on Harbinger League, but with good currencies, for fun! I just like to freeze everything and hear the sound of my enemies shatter.

Here the PoB link: https://pastebin.com/sdcyEmnf

Thanks!

Last edited by Feurn on Aug 1, 2017, 12:08:51 AM
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2017, 10:11:47 AM
first!
u should switch concentred effect for arcane surge for mapping
"
u should switch concentred effect for arcane surge for mapping

Good idea! I could get some spell crit nodes since i drop Controlled destruction.

Worth a try. Thanks!
Last edited by Feurn on Jul 17, 2017, 9:02:36 PM
Could I have the paste bin to the 3.0 tree :)
"
Could I have the paste bin to the 3.0 tree :)

Sure!

Edit: I made some mistake in the tree, forgot to take Ancestral Bound. I will update soon.

Edit 2 : Updated the tree for 3.0! Check in the original post :)
Last edited by Feurn on Jul 18, 2017, 1:19:44 PM
Interesting build, I would also like to use Vortex in 3.0.0. Is there a full list of balance changes released or do we still need to wait to complete the build>
IGN Mahavir
vortex is always cast around the totem right? like RF

that seems annoying to me ^^
I'd like a many totem build too. Why do you want to use Vortex instead of other skills? Have you already tested it out endgame and do you think it is good?
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAQFvApYFQgceCaoMUg18DkgPxBEtES8RUBGWGyUc3B0UIvQo-ioLKhMrCiycMtE1uTbFO3w9X0GWRUdJUUmxS65Ms06uUXRSU1fJWOVaK1xrXIpd8l5dZp5odGwLbRlwUnvXfIN_xoLHg_OESInTi3qLjIw2jHaOZI7pjxqPRo_6km6TJ5Uul5WX9Jx7oS-io6PyppmnCKcrp5Soua4SrrOxNrb6tzG4k7jKuZO8Vr6KwGbAmsMJw23QH9D10f3SfNfP2CTZW9n82mLfiuL36QLr7uv17WHviO_r8NXyHfem98H5N_nd-ej60g== tree, ll version ~ 50-70% more dps

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info