[3.0][Sabatour] FrostBolt Miner - Life/EB/MoM

This is the guide for frostbolt miner. Used in Turmoil 2.6 and updated for 3.0

2.6 version + gear
Spoiler

Tree (lvl 93 non crit 2.6)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYDAQMeBAcEswceCPQOSBEvEZYRwhZvGjgabBzcHwIfQSNfJKomiCaVJy8rCi0fMhg2PTbFNuk3FzpYOthCLEV8RZ1JUUmxTLNRdFMxU1JUR1VLVcZWSF3yYeJiT2KsZlRo8mpDaxdsCGyMcFF2b36wf8aCHoKbg9uFMoV7jDaO6Y8akFWTJ5UglS6Xl5o7muCbmp2qna6d2Z7EoEOgeaEvogCio6aZpr6nCLMDtDi0xbVItzC3dbkGvOq-isBUwGbBxcHzyQbQH9Wm18_YJNhU2wvb5-Fz42rkIuUZ6FrrY-vu7DjtPO4V74jv6_Af8NXxivaf-Tf79Q==

Gear
Spoiler

Jewels are: 2x Frozen Trail and 3x Life+Dmg Rare Jewels

Stats (2.6)
Spoiler

Cold Penetration is 55%

3.0 stuff below

Tree
(Path of Building link: https://pastebin.com/4Q64UpxN)

Gear
(check 2.6 or Path of Building link)

Gem Links
Spoiler
Frostbolt - Minefield - Remote Mine - Cold Pen - Controlled Destruction - Trap and Mine Damage
Detonate Mine - Spell Totem - Faster Casting
Detonate Mine - CWDT - Immortal Call
Orb of Storms - Increased Crit Strikes
Stone Golem
Arctic Armour
Blasphemy - Enfeeble - Temp Chains
Shield Charge - Fortify - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic

Pros
Spoiler
High Effective Health Pool
Cheap to gear
Can do any map mod
Will only get better in 3.0 (MoM buff, life on gear buff)
Great damage
Tanky

Cons
Spoiler
No leech
Not the fastest clear speed
Works best Solo
Mining is not for everyone, takes practice.
Weak against Chaos damage, needs chaos res gear.

About the build
Spoiler
So this build is 2 sections.

The defensive is Life/EB/MoM/The Covenant. We are MoM so 30% damage taken gets blocked by our mana, we reserve out entire mana pool with 2xcurses and Arctic Armour and take EB. Energy Shield is now our mana pool instead. The Covenant then makes our main ability blood magic, so it uses life instead. This ensure us a very high effective health pool. This defensive part can be coupled with any miner/trapper/totem build with great success.

The offensive is Frostbolt Mine. Very simple. We use 2xFrozen Trail to give Frostbolt 5 projectiles, the jewels are a MUST HAVE in this build. We cast our frostbolt through Mines, avoiding any reflect, and not having to pick up any cast speed.

build notes:
- The more life regen you can get, the better this build will flow.
- The oak shield and the lioneyes shield are the best choice for this build, which is up to you.
- You can also use glacial cascade instead of frostbolt. Swap out 1 curse and arctic armour for hatred. Apply 2nd curse through cwdt. Take a few aoes nodes instead of projectile nodes. Swap out frozen trail jewels with dmg+life jewels. Use unique gloves Hrimburn/Hrimsorrow to convert res of phys to cold.

kills notes:
- I just did a Palace Map with no leech, low regen, -max and onslaught. Bought it very cheap because it is impossible for most builds, I cleared it as lvl 88.
- Killed minitaur at lvl 90, 1 death, fight was super long. I dont recommend doing guardians without going crit.

Leveling:
- Level with Fire nova mine until act 5, when you get threshold jewels. Then you go frostbolt mine. (1 jewel is fine to start with, try to get 2nd from friend or buy it.)

UNDER WORK
- I will fill this build out more as times goes by, please leave any questions you have in this thread.
Last edited by Empire_ on Aug 1, 2017, 2:17:47 AM
Last bumped on Sep 9, 2017, 6:57:28 PM
Reserved
What nodes would you change in the 3.0 skill tree?

I am just curious seeing I would want to test it out first in the beta, however the tree there is different in 2 places as far as I could tell.

Edit: After looking at it a bit better, seems like you can still take the health nodes. you spend a bit more to get to them but they give more % now
Last edited by MatterofLight on Jul 23, 2017, 9:10:16 PM
Could you post a screenshot of your defensive tab as well? I've made a similar build, with good damage, but super shitty defenses, And I'm thinking of respeccing for more survivability (Dropping crit for more life)
Thanks for the info Donkey.
I will be playing this in the 3.0 League HC SSF. Some of the new bosses hit quite hard levelling up and through the acts.
What do you think is a good levelling skill to work in with the skill tree and what skill/support gems to use while farming for the gear.
Thanks for the life based guide
Haven't tried it in beta yet because I don't have a detonate mines gem but according to PoB arcane surge support will get procced from self casting detonate mines if you link it to the gem. Could be an easy way to get extra damage if you don't mind casting DM yourself

edit: this no longer works with the new version of arcane surge
Last edited by Jshanahan on Jul 28, 2017, 3:00:55 PM
Will try a variation of this.
Hey OP,

Could you please have a look at the new interaction between EB and MoM in 3.0? I had asked in /r/pathofexilebuilds and someone commented the following:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/6q9reo/frostbolt_miner_build_critique/dkvp9hb/
"
Hey OP,

Could you please have a look at the new interaction between EB and MoM in 3.0? I had asked in /r/pathofexilebuilds and someone commented the following:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/6q9reo/frostbolt_miner_build_critique/dkvp9hb/

Not OP but the guy in the reddit post is incorrect in saying that EB doesn't work with MOM in 3.0. I'm running basically this same build on the beta and it is working exactly as advertised. The only situation in which it doesn't work is with chaos damage because it will still bypass energy shield and hit your mana directly, and because you have low mana you will take damage to your life pool rather than to your ES.
"
fivesigma wrote:
Could you post a screenshot of your defensive tab as well? I've made a similar build, with good damage, but super shitty defenses, And I'm thinking of respeccing for more survivability (Dropping crit for more life)

Your only defenses if your life pool + es pool. I managed to hit 8.5k total in turmoil, with pretty bad gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info