Game of Thrones season 7

"
Crackmonster wrote:
Spoiler
Wow it's a lot of haters in here, haters who in most cases have no clue just whining away because it's "popular". So must be shit right?

Season 7 is just great. Shit i took break on 3.0 launch to watch those episodes.

About the dwarf. SPOILER ALERT
Spoiler
He has a good heart, his brother saved him and wasn't one of the bad guys in the family. You can see in his face right away when the dragon comes its hurting him to see his own people being decimated. Even the soldiers and all has fear, no, not fear, terror painted in their eyes likes shes unleashing a weapon too destructive for war. Then he sees his brother and he knows the fool is gonna go for it.

You know i really like that GOT isn't painting war like the glorious thing most medieval movies have done since at least the last what 20-30+ years? With only one right side, when you go to war it's all enemies etc etc. It's not so black and white and i really welcome that, and they are also not afraid to offend audiences with scenes most others would be too afraid to include because of todays whiny society.

The best parts of the series is probably only second to lord of the rings in terms of moviemaking -
that good old medieval war shit with magic on top you just won't find it at this high a quality level many places.

Of course there are still the haters who find something to whine and bicker about, probably movies have only fallen to shit according to them since before colors on screen when the stories were oh so much greater. Well go watch your black in white movies then if that's what you want. I mean for christ sake all stories have their loopholes, higher things taht solves all, sends gandalf back to earth etc - things that non-character progression related just gives gandalf his power over saruman(the order), or the prophecy that no man can break the witch king which makes him an automatic trump card.

That's how these mythical medieval magic stories are - destinies, etc. You have to believe or it's all gonna look silly. These are the stories of great destinies, nobody cares about the footsoldier who died to the first few arrows that came his way. And you know what - these stories also exist often in real life(although often exaggerated greatly in movies and stories) and of all the people who should have died when it was most likely a few survives and becomes legends. So i'm coming in here seeing page after page of crying and moaning about shit that doesn't even make sense and all i could think is you should have kept your mouth closed instead of spreading your negativity all around.

GOT is one of the greatest, that and the orignals(with thrones miles ahead) only series i bother watching instead of all the braindead shit people are watching. I generally never watch TV(unless im with others at their place), i very rarely watch series and i love movies.

See, I also enjoy Game of Thrones and I would agree that it is a great TV series. Your post doesn't hit the mark, though. I don't see too many whining haters and let's be fair about one thing: the people who criticize GoT have a number of reasonable arguments, especially when considering the episodes that aren't based on the books.

People, armies and fleets magically teleport all around Westeros, some characters act infuriatingly irrational, plot lines get abandoned or resolved in unsatisfying ways. The originally oh-so-important concept of feudalism has been thrown out of the window in some events. People rise from the death in convenient ways.

Again, I enjoy the series a lot, but at some points you really have to suspend your disbelief.
It is fantasy and if you can accept the dragons and Dany's immunity to fire, you should be able to accept a few less than reasonable transport times. :)
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
It is fantasy and if you can accept the dragons and Dany's immunity to fire, you should be able to accept a few less than reasonable transport times. :)

Dragons are an established part of the world. Also, it is not so much about the travel times and more about the question how people get from A to B without someone noticing them.

Again, I really enjoy the series. My response was primarily to the post that complained about people complaining about GoT.
*ahem*

Jamie Lannister sacks High Garden. It would take awhile for word to get back to Dragonstone that the Lannisters were even there. Somehow Dany gets her army together, manages to cross the entire width of Westeros, presumably all the way from Dragonstone through or around Kings Landing because the Dothraki were not part of the seige force there, and somehow these men on horseback arrive at Highgarden while the Lannisters are still packing up to leave. This is roughly 1100 miles.

The is the kind of problem with "teleportation" that people are complaining about. Sure you can suspend disbelief and that's fine but GoT is based upon its own universe with its own logic and logistics based rules, so it's more than fair to point out obvious holes in the narrative.
Last edited by BodyHammer01 on Aug 10, 2017, 3:18:52 PM
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:
*ahem*

Jamie Lannister sacks High Garden. It would take awhile for word to get back to Dragonstone that the Lannisters were even there. Somehow Dany gets her army together, manages to cross the entire width of Westeros, presumably all the way from Dragonstone through or around Kings Landing because the Dothraki were not part of the seige force there, and somehow these men on horseback arrive at Highgarden while the Lannisters are still packing up to leave. This is roughly 1100 miles.

The is the kind of problem with "teleportation" that people are complaining about. Sure you can suspend disbelief and that's fine but GoT is based upon its own universe with its own logic and logistics based rules, so it's more than fair to point out obvious holes in the narrative.

If you grab a map of Westeros, this instance actually makes a lot more sense.

Assuming you're familiar with a map of the US, imagine that:
- Highgarden is Houston
- King's Landing is Detroit
- Dragonstone is Cleveland

KL and Dragonstone are very close to each other, and Highgarden is a bajillion miles away to the southwest.

In the show, they said that the gold had already been delivered withing the gates of KL, so they're stationed right outside Detroit (Ann Arbor-ish) recuperating from weeks of marching when the forces from Cleveland come flying down Lake Erie.

The teleportation, if any, is that there was a pretty big time jump that wasn't telegraphed. When Theon landed and Jon Snow said "Dany isn't here", that was several weeks after the last event we saw at Dragonstone.

---

Now if you want to talk about real teleportive powers, look no further than Lord Baelish or Varys zipping around Westeros during the earlier seasons. They moved at the speed of plot importance and no amount of looking at a map would help.
Last edited by pneuma on Aug 10, 2017, 3:28:56 PM
"
pneuma wrote:

- Highgarden is Houston

KL and Dragonstone are very close to each other, and Highgarden is a bajillion miles away to the southwest.

In the show, they said that the gold had already been delivered withing the gates of KL, so they're stationed right outside Detroit (Ann Arbor-ish) recuperating from weeks of marching when the forces from Cleveland come flying down Lake Erie.

The teleportation, if any, is that there was a pretty big time jump that wasn't telegraphed. When Theon landed and Jon Snow said "Dany isn't here", that was several weeks after the last event we saw at Dragonstone.

---

Now if you want to talk about real teleportive powers, look no further than Lord Baelish or Varys zipping around Westeros during the earlier seasons. They moved at the speed of plot importance and no amount of looking at a map would help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *believe* the gold was already shipped ahead of Jamie and the rest of the army. Jame was discussing with Bronn and the other guy about who best to leave to supervise the gathering of the crops around High Garden, which would still put them there at the time.
Last edited by BodyHammer01 on Aug 10, 2017, 3:38:11 PM
For me it hits the mark - because all these things whining about are born out of negativity just to find something to blame - when in fact it's very good and for the most part stayed that way with a few lesser times.

It's like when you see these old timers coming back to whine about the poe they quit - they just see it painted in their old negative eyes instead of seeing it for what it is. Same reason they can't see the good or great in the newer things. For them it's just more meh.

But don't ride that high horse come claiming there is much fantasy of that level on tv, or even that we should start talking down to it like its crap, we are not gonna see it on that level in the next 10-20 years probably. So yea the whiners just are whiners who can't enjoy a good thing for what it is. Oh and i'd never read the book, from what i've heard about them i lost interest. But the show is the bomb in my opinion.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Aug 10, 2017, 3:53:40 PM
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

- Highgarden is Houston

---

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *believe* the gold was already shipped ahead of Jamie and the rest of the army. Jame was discussing with Bronn and the other guy about who best to leave to supervise the gathering of the crops around High Garden, which would still put them there at the time.

No, Jamie and Bronn weren't that far from King's Landing when Dany attacked. The gold was at the front of their supply line while Jamie and Bronn were at the back. They even mentioned something about how long their line of troops was (in the episode before I believe). I'd say there were a mile or two outside of King's Landing, if even that far.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:

No, Jamie and Bronn weren't that far from King's Landing when Dany attacked. The gold was at the front of their supply line while Jamie and Bronn were at the back. They even mentioned something about how long their line of troops was (in the episode before I believe). I'd say there were a mile or two outside of King's Landing, if even that far.

You are absolutely right. It turns out the river Jamie and Bronn plunged into was the Blackwater Rush, which is just a few dozen miles outside of King's Landing.
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:

That's the horrible time cut.

The scene where Bronn was bitching about not having a castle: that was near Highgarden, in the past. Dickon and Father Tarly show up to request help getting grain from local farmers (for the journey ahead).

Weeks later, they're saying the gold is within the walls of King's Landing and the men are exhausted from marching and the line is long and thin. Tarly suggests whipping them to speed them up, Jaime says they're just tired and to give them a break. That's when the dragon shows up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info