[3.0] Budget Zerker Scorching Ray

Berserker Scorching Ray
Scorching Ray is just a good starter no matter which version you choose. This version spams Enduring Cry and is easy to gear for. Beginning of league cost reaches around 100c to gear for minus a real 6l (not Tabula) and 7% life gems. Two or three weeks into the league and you're looking around 40-50c.

Start with Molten Strike/Ground Slam until you get Firestorm and level with that until about Act 4 or 5 or get really close to getting Elemental Equilibrium, Elemental Overload, and Holy Fire (top left burning damage nodes). When you hit Act 3 you need to do the Library quest and buy all the gems you're missing, basically all the blue gems. May want to still use Firestorm for a while after. Once you ascend, you want to grab War Bringer first and spam EC before every pack and just sweep SR across. Can occasionally lay down Orb for Arcane Surge, EE, and EO.

PoB Code: https://pastebin.com/1bdyFG6z

Videos
Spoiler

Uber Lab
Spoiler

Full Run except Darkshrines and I forgot to search for Argus. No guides, just running around searching for stuff.
Timestamps in the yt description.
https://youtu.be/P1hvttn8Jy0

Residence
Spoiler

Plaza
Spoiler

Tried to tank the degen, failed, had to portal once.
https://youtu.be/b3oMn1cJmlI

Colosseum
Spoiler

Shrine
Spoiler

Maze
Spoiler

Minotaur

Stats
Spoiler

6l Tabula Rasa - lvl 21 q0 SR, supports all q20 (2 lvl 20, 2 lvl 18, 1 lvl 14)

Defenses - only one life jewel

Passive Tree
Spoiler

Unwavering Stance and Endurance Charges can be taken any time. Consideration for jewel slots should be taken after act 5 for possible extra resistances. Elemental Equilibrium only after you start using Scorching Ray. Buy gems in Act 3 after library quest and level them in extra sockets and/or alt weapons.

Lvl 90 (113 Points): http://poeurl.com/buvj

Bandits
Spoiler

Kill all for two passive points. None of the other choices help this build much.

Pantheon
Spoiler

Major: Lunaris
Minor: Tukohama

Alternatives
Solaris: Similar to Lunaris. The crit upgrade where you can only be crit by one attack every 4 seconds is insanely good. Really a tossup, but I prefer Lunaris because most bosses have adds now. I take Solaris if I know there aren't adds or I can clear them fast and they won't be resummoned quickly.
Gruthkul: Upgrade kind of sucks, otherwise I would use it over Tukohama.
Ryslatha: Not needed because of War Bringer.
Aberrath: Good for lab sometimes, but not that necessary because of your regen and War Bringer.

The rest are just bad or don't work well with this build.

Gear
Spoiler

Weapon/Shield

Looking for high fire/burning damage scepter. Cannot use Shield Charge with a wand. Any placeholder shield until

Body Armour

Tabula Rasa for in between. Eventually looking for 6l Skin of the Loyal (make sure to get a 4b1g1r one), Infernal Mantle, Cloak of Flame, or Kingsguard, but Kingsguard may be really hard to get the colors. Would not recommend wasting currency on a 5l.

Helmet

Always 1c or less. No more need for "of Heat" flasks.

Gloves

Want to try getting 35%+ lightning resist and at least +27 dex. Look for chaos resist on end game gloves.

Boots

Again 35%+ lightning res. +25/30% movement speed preferred.

Switched to Kaom's Roots because I realized knockbacks from things like goat leap would stop your channeling and mess up your sweep. It started happening a lot in higher maps and was getting annoying. Got rid of Tempest Shield setup and Curse in the CwDT setup.

Amulet

Forget Marble ammy or Xoph's Heart. Former is not needed and latter is too expensive at the beginning of the league. Bloodgrip is great because one seething life flask will refill all of your life.

Grab a Jade ammy and hopefully you find an essence that gives +dex so you can have a placeholder. You will need to spec into the two +30 dex nodes once you get Bloodgrip.

Rings

3c on the first day, but already less than 1c on the third day. Get these asap.

Belt

Any belt will do until you can get a

Flasks
Spoiler

No block nodes so not exactly a block build, but pairing Rumi's with Rathpith gives okay block chance. You should be around 40/30 block depending on rolls and then add in Tempest Shield for another 3/1. Really helps that this isn't a popular flask anymore so it's really cheap.

Life Flask: You're only in danger when you get chunked so Seething/Bubbling is all you need. Regen will take care of little hits.

Sulfur Flask: This is not needed. But if you want more damage in place of a life or quicksilver flask then go for it.

Basalt Flask: % physical mitigation. Get of Staunching, Curing, or Warding.

Quicksilver: Try to get a Chemist's of Adrenaline. Can maybe forego and only use Shield Charge.

Jewels
Spoiler

Start with something like these

Just looking for cheap resists plus damage or cast speed.

Eventually get some % life, resists, and damage/cast speed

I went with all cast speed ones because they were about 5x cheaper than anything with damage on them.

Gem Links
Spoiler

Scorching Ray - Burning Damage - Elemental Focus - Efficacy - Controlled Destruction - Swift Affliction Chest
In order of most damage. Using Affliction also requires 111 dex, which means you need to spend an extra point on a +30 dex node.

Orb of Storms - Inc Crit Strikes - Inc Duration - Arcane Surge (lvl 7) Gloves
More consistent EO with Inc Crit. You can trigger up to lvl 8 Arcane Surge with this setup.

Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Arctic Armour - Enduring Cry Boots
Cast EC before almost every pack. AA will be linked with Faster Casting and take more mana reserve, but it doesn't matter.

CwDT - Molten Shell - Immortal Call - Temporal Chains Helm
Refer to this CwDT link for CwDT levels but you can max it all for this build. You will be casting EC so much and getting 3-5 charges every most casts (unless at a solo boss).

Tempest Shield (lvl 1-7) - CwDT (lvl 1) - Inc Duration Weapon
Lvl 1 CwDT because you just want this to trigger as often as possible and the damage from Tempest does not matter.

Shield Charge - Faster Attacks - Fortify Weapon
Hard to incorporate this into facetanking like you can with RF, but good movement skill and an option for Fortify.

**Kaom's Roots alternative gem links
Spoiler

Take out the Tempest Shield setup and put in Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Enduring Cry.
Take out Curse from the CwDT setup and put in Arctic Armour.

Last edited by meest on Aug 27, 2017, 10:17:10 PM
Last bumped on Sep 26, 2017, 5:57:21 PM
Just wondering, if you dont have any leech or real life regen, how do you expect to stand a chance against 3.0 bosses with build that requires you to stand still for a longer period of time? This looks like a typical tooltip warrior build that cant realisticaly reach the numbers anyway. No offence:)
"
nikeyla wrote:
Just wondering, if you dont have any leech or real life regen, how do you expect to stand a chance against 3.0 bosses with build that requires you to stand still for a longer period of time? This looks like a typical tooltip warrior build that cant realisticaly reach the numbers anyway. No offence:)

Tooltip warrior build with 9k life? I think a tooltip warrior build could get more damage by dropping a bunch of life. I still have 7.6k life without Kaom's and 7k life dropping all the life from the belt (139) so it's not too bad. Three life flasks also helps a lot and that will definitely let you sustain stage 8 a bunch.

But I think you're trying to suggest putting in faster casting for rapid decay? That actually sounds like a really good idea because this build has to cast for 3.36 seconds to reach 8 stages. So 2.56 seconds with faster casting and dropping 28% off the tooltip? Seems pretty good and... you don't have to worry about dex, which is pretty amazing. Plus, the base sr length is pretty long so it's not exactly melee tanking. The build will be fine for most everything until you get to t15. Worst case is the build takes a little longer. But I think that's still okay and you'll be able to hit stage 8 and facetank.

Edit: Forgot this build still has 8+% life regen with enduring cry and 4+% without it so it's not too bad, but not focused on life regen like some other sustain builds.
Last edited by meest on Jul 13, 2017, 5:26:19 PM
I've done some experimentation with a similar builds myself. Damage is nice, but sustain is a real problem. MoM Trickster SR is an option to try to add some more survivability, but I eventually decided against that too.

The problem is that such a build can't stand up to bosses well, but it also isn't particularly fast and efficient at mapping. If I am going to play a character without strong sustain, I at least want them to at least be able to map fast.

Overall, I found that just going sr cwc firestorm and basking in the cloaked in savagry + vaal pact leech was much better for not dying against hard things in beta. Currently have a character using a 6L searing touch, belly, and kaom's roots. Roots stops stuns from interrupting your channeling, plus a big dose of life. Using blasphemy with flamability and enfeeble. Last link has orb of storms, increased crit, increased duration, and arcane surge. The game plan is to leapslam in, orb of storms to activate overload/surge if needed, and facetank while channeling away and staying up with leech.
Last edited by FilthyMonkey on Jul 14, 2017, 7:11:14 AM
"
FilthyMonkey wrote:

The problem is that such a build can't stand up to bosses well, but it also isn't particularly fast and efficient at mapping. If I am going to play a character without strong sustain, I at least want them to at least be able to map fast.

Overall, I found that just going sr cwc firestorm and basking in the cloaked in savagry + vaal pact leech was much better for not dying against hard things in beta.

So been taking what you and the other poster have said into account and did a lot more experimentation. I think I've solved it now with lots of regen and the addition of RF, but... I may have just made a RF build instead. It's like 375k RF dps if you 4l it in a delirium glove with doryani's and RotP with the min build. Woops. I still want to use SR so I'll probably just stick with this iteration.
Last edited by meest on Jul 19, 2017, 12:42:53 AM
this cant work with a full str/hp build , vaal pact+ 2 doon cuebayaris? ( one for sr+cwc+firestorm, the other for cwdt+molten shell+increased duration? then kaoms+roots for super hp boost, and just gloves/helm to leap slam-golem and the orb of storms setup? what do you think? i wanna try something like that
Last edited by merovingian223 on Aug 19, 2017, 4:38:41 AM
"
this cant work with a full str/hp build

Errr, you mean this CAN work with a full str/hp build?

"
vaal pact+ 2 doon cuebayaris? ( one for sr+cwc+firestorm, the other for cwdt+molten shell+increased duration? then kaoms+roots for super hp boost, and just gloves/helm to leap slam-golem and the orb of storms setup? what do you think? i wanna try something like that

Do you mean doing a CwC Firestorm build in a 5/6l? Not in the Doon, right? Because just having a 4l even though it's a lvl 30 4th link doesn't come close to what even a 5l will give you.

If you want to do a CwC setup because you're worried about the clear speed, don't be worried. I think people were just worried because 2.6's SR wasn't too great, but 3.0 SR just one sweeps everything. Cast speed is also not a big deal.

You may have issues surviving some things without block from a shield. The Rathpith/Rumi's combo just lets me facetank so many things.

Kaom's Roots are nice if you don't need the move speed or resists. Problem is you may need lots of uniques for a high str build.

I'd probably take Shield Charge over Leap Slam even if I couldn't fit in a Flame Dash. Leap is just soooo sloooooooowwww without good attack speed.

Pretty much never need Inc Duration for Molten Shell. Can try leech, curse, or some other trigger.

So I kind of forgot about updating. Hit 90, q20ed my only two t11 maps and rerolled until 90+ quantity, no map drops and only had t9s left. Just doing one or two uber lab runs a day now so I'll go upload a video of that later. Maybe buy t15s and make some videos of that. Just really bad luck with maps this league.
wouldnt be better a sr+cwc+firestorm build? it feels that you lack life leech
"
wouldnt be better a sr+cwc+firestorm build? it feels that you lack life leech

Yeah, but there's tons of immortal Berserker VP Caster builds out there. Just take Cloaked in Savagery and stand there with the button held down. This is a lot more fun to me.

You can also play smart and not facetank the most damaging skills or even just skip the bosses now because they're not worth it unless you need it for atlas %.
Hello, had some spare chaos orbs to respec my totem build, well I really regret this, so far this is the most unplayable build Ive tried this league. It can do uber lab and stuff, but jesus it takes a lot of effort and time to dodge everything and channel sr...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info